PDA

View Full Version : How far the developing country going ?

ajithlalm
April 8, 2005, 10:44 PM
I would like to know how far the countries like Scotland, Holland, Ireland, Nambia, etc is progressing.

Do you think any of the team deserves to play ODI or test ?
What are the plans of yours to bring them to international level ?

How much time do you think they need to get into international level ?

Ovi Khan
April 8, 2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ajithlalm
I would like to know how far the countries like Scotland, Holland, Ireland, Nambia, etc is progressing.

Do you think any of the team deserves to play ODI or test ?
What are the plans of yours to bring them to international level ?

How much time do you think they need to get into international level ?

Actually, Cricket is not a popular game in those countries. It may take them more 30 years. The first steps should be to hold regular tournaments and leagues in those countries. And cricket should be made more popular to rise to the International levels. It will be very hard as 90% of people doesn't even knows what a bat is. I remember when espn went to Holland for the Tri-Nation Videocon cup, they showed the local people a bat and asked them about it. One of them took the bat on his hand and tried to tell that it was used to bang on people's heads !!

Trueblue
April 9, 2005, 01:07 PM

Well I couldn't resist the bait. :lol:

It will be very hard as 90% of people doesn't even knows what a bat is.

Harsh and not true in Scotland. Virtually everybody would know the answer to that one! The game is not as popular as in England (partly because it is seen as English!) but it has been played for over 180 years and some club games have drawn crowds of thousands although admittedly that was in the 1930s.

If you want some perspective on progress then you can have a look at the official Cricket Scotland web site at:

www.cricketscotland.com (http://www.cricketscotland.com)

As for plans Scotland want to be the best associate country which they moved towards by beating the rest in the new annual International 3-day competition last year. It is regular games of sufficient status that the side want and need to improve and to gain support. So the one game against Australia this summer, which is being televised in Scotland, is a help. I just hope we don't get thumped. :o

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 6:11 PM GMT, by Trueblue.

Ameer
April 9, 2005, 02:33 PM
I want more countries to become world-class teams because cricket is getting quite tired and boring. India vs Pakistan and Australia vs England can't keep the excitement forever.

ajithlalm
April 9, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah I agree wtih u
the excitement cannot be forever with

Australia Vs England, India Vs Pakistan, India Vs Australia.

the most of the matches are otherwise are one sided like Australia Vs Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe Vs South Africa

If matches were played like
Zimbabwe Vs Scotland, Bangladesh Vs Scotland, etc it would be more competetive and less boring..... to see one sided matches is very boring.

only goodness is the records getting falling.

Xavier
April 10, 2005, 08:08 AM
I have found on Asian Cricket Council site an interesting interview to the president of Italian Cricket Federation in occasion of WCQS2 last february. This is an explicit part of it:

"A tournament such as this ICC qualifier in Malaysia has cost the ICC $500,000, no part of which can be recouped from ticket-sales (non-existent) or sponsorship. Sure, they are making money from the bigger sales of World Cups and Champions Trophies but why not make the structure less top-heavy in the first place? Why not give some meaning to a rankings system? Why not let the world know that by finishing as a beaten finalist in this competition, you are fit to be ranked as the 24th best team in the world?

Like football and FIFA?

Why not also make it a true World Cup and have England and Australia and India and Pakistan play regional qualifiers against other teams to establish the right to play in World Cups. I have no arguments against a structure that gives everyone a chance because these chances are what inspire cricketers and these chances are what make the whole cricket world understandable.

What about making cricket truly global?

You realise I am talking as someone who doesn’t think Italy has a realistic chance of being in the World Cup for another fifty years but all I am saying is that if the ICC create a realistic structure, then it can be marketed and understood and televised and the game thereby given greater exposure and thus made more attractive and essentially more competitive. It’s all just about spending the money and resources in a way which takes account of the bigger picture for all members. If they call it a global game, make it a global game. I look forward to a world in which every international one-day match between ICC members is an ODI. "

I totally agree with that: there should be a cricket world ranking, just like there is one each for football or rugby,
based on one day international matches result.
Not allowing to associate and affiliate members to be considered part of cricket world is a sort of "cricket apartheid"... though these teams are weaker than the best ones.

One day cricket was born to spread cricket all over the world so there is no sense in this "status" limitation.

For those interested in it, here is the whole interview:

http://www.asiancricket.org/h_signor.cfm

ajithlalm
April 13, 2005, 09:38 PM
I agree completely with you.
Look all the other sports. Only circket is restricted to 10 countries or 12 countries. All other sports there is no such restrictions to verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy limited playing countries

vv_sunil
April 13, 2005, 11:57 PM
i feel all the nations should be allowed to play one day cricket. it should not be restricted to 10 or 11 nations. i agree, there is a big gap between the top 10 teams and others. but think otherwise, what would be the situation if a 10th ranked country play with india/pakistan/bangladesh in footbal? probably the score will be 10-0 or like that. if all the nations allowed to play cricket, it should gradually get popularise the game

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2005, 10:51 AM
i dont think it'll take the top associates 30 years or so to come into light. the scotties are doing well, and so are namibia, canada, ireland and holland. in fact the ever increasing brown population of canada is spreading the game faster. i see (at least) scotland playing odi's in the near future.

and then of course there's kenya. once (and a big if) their key players come back, they'll kick some rear.

another nation that i'd keep an eye on is UAE, although i believe they have a long way to go.

nepal, imo, will encounter the same fate as bangladesh. there's a lot of interest in the game, and it will grow, and they will have many players, but will fail to make an impression before another 20 years or so (like we did...or, have we made an impression yet?)

for more details on the associates, plz view the <a href = "http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=9852#pid159578">other thread</a> that i had opened a couple of months ago on their preparations for the icc trophy. the content is a bit old - it was two months back when the article was published.

ajithlalm
April 14, 2005, 11:55 AM
Scotties are really doing well. I think Scotland, namibia, canada, ireland, holland, and UAE should awarded ODI status within 5 years with some developement programs to increase the quality.

Xavier
April 14, 2005, 12:45 PM
There are a couple of articles that I have found on the net that all of you who are interested in the development of cricket in the world will surely appreciate.

The first one is an interview to Taj Malik Alam, the president of Afghan Cricket Federation, who explains how much the game is spreading in all of the country due to pakistani influence. They play with a lot of passion and, though inexperienced, they got to the quarterfinals in the 2004 ACC Trophy:

http://www.asiancricket.org/cnt_biginterview.cfm#warrior

Second one is about the renaissance of cricket in Cuba, after the death of it during the communist revolution. Now there are 500 cricketers in Habana and the game will be taught in schools.
As we all know that Cuba are N.1 in baseball, apart (maybe) from american professionals, what will happen if the game will become popular in this sport-loving country?

http://www.losowsky.com/archives/009196.html

So I predict semifinals of 2027 Cricket World Cup:
Afghanistan-Bangladesh
Cuba-Italy
Win the best!;)

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 5:48 PM GMT, by Xavier.

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2005, 01:01 PM
leave bangladesh out of your dreams if you don't wanna be hurt :)

btw - afghanistan reached the quarter finals? boy - they must've come a long way.

one would expect cuban cricket to improve, especially due to carribean influence (unless the game dies out in the carribean as well).

Xavier
April 14, 2005, 01:16 PM
The schedule of ACC Trophy 2004.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/OTHERS/ACCT/SCHEDULE.html

(come on Asif, by 2027 you will have already won World Cup!)

Tintin
April 14, 2005, 02:48 PM
Nice interview with the Afghan coach in the link that Xavier provided - some comments are funny and some touching.

"Other teams are scared to play us! "

"Already we have one young fast bowler Shahpur Zadran who is the fastest bowler in Afghanistan and he can bowl 150 kmh."

"No one wants to bowl off-spin in Afghanistan! They do not think it is attacking."

"We could beat Sri Lanka A and Bangladesh A if given the chance."

"We are fighters and cricket is very competitive. One against one. One against eleven. Eleven against eleven. When we play, it is also very personal. A player represents his family, his tribe, his country. It was not so long ago that the same skill needed for cricket – courage, co-ordination, strength – was needed in our country to fight or just to survive. Our life was hard for a long time. It makes us tough."

"The troubles for the children of Afghanistan have been very bad and are very painful to even think about yet even so, cricket is like a light in their lives. .... Those who play cricket are maybe getting some direction in their lives which is taking them to a place where life inside a cricket field can be the better than life outside it. In cricket you always have someone who will look after you."

"It is my chance to do something for my country. My dream is that we will beat, God willing, a big team and give our country something to be happy. We are a young country and trying very hard. If we can fight with our bat and ball instead of the gun then it is good for Afghanistan."

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 7:54 PM GMT, by Tintin.

ajithlalm
April 14, 2005, 10:22 PM
Lets some A team countries play against see how far and how better the Afghanistan team is...

Long ago Srilanka was playing with team like Madras now Chennai and other states before they came to international cricket...

So let some domestic teams and A teams tour to the developing countries to see their protential

Xavier
April 16, 2005, 06:41 AM
Cricket development in Europe, from BBC site:

------------------------------------------------------
World Cup goal for Euro cricketers
By Matthew Allen

Depending on the outcome of this summer's ICC Trophy, as many as five European nations could be competing at the 2007 World Cup.

But as Ireland, Scotland, the Netherlands and Denmark prepare to compete for the chance to play against the likes of England, Australia, India and Pakistan, the next generation of potential World Cup players are already being groomed for success.

The European Cricket Council's annual Centre of Excellence, held at Bradfield College in Berkshire, is one plank of a strategy designed to improve the standard of both players and coaches and raise the profile of the game around the continent.

The 24 most promising 14 to 17-year-olds, from Switzerland, France, Greece, Italy, Germany, Scotland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Austria, the Isle of Man, Gibraltar and Finland, recently attended the the latest course.

In addition, 11 coaches were put through a rigorous three-day skills and fitness programme by top European coaches, including former Somerset and Glamorgan all-rounder Roland Lefebvre, who captained the Netherlands during the last World Cup.

"When I started playing cricket there was not so much support to help players succeed in Europe and we had work out a lot of things for ourselves," said Lefebvre.

"When I was young I had a picture of Viv Richards hanging on my wall and I ended up playing with him at Glamorgan. It's the same as a kid playing soccer on the street and one day playing with Maradona. It was a dream come true for me.

"I played the game with love and passion, but I also had to put a lot of hard work in because it was very tough.

"One of the biggest challenges continental players face is not a lack of talent as there is plenty of that around, but their work ethic and mental strength."

The Centre of Excellence has been running for six years and the results are starting to show with several graduates now playing for their national sides, including Daan Van Bunge, who took part in the last World Cup for the Netherlands.

Head coach Richard O'Sullivan has noticed a steady progression in the standard of young European cricketers.

"One of our aims is to produce players who will one day play in the World Cup," he said.

"This year was our strongest ever group and the standard is unrecognisable from when the Centre first started.

"We were having to explain the basics of cricket back then, but this year we have identified four or five players who could go on to play county cricket."

And he explained that the development of cricket in Europe does not stop at the Centre of Excellence.

The European Academy is also held each summer in Loughborough, home of the England Academy, and the ECC sends coaches out to individual countries and provides financial support.

In addition, there are several tournaments for different age groups run annually to allow European youngsters to experience a higher standard of cricket.

All of these initiatives fall under the umbrella of the International Cricket Council Development Programme which began in 1997, one arm of which provides support for European cricket.

"Through assistance provided by the European Development Programme we want countries to be more self-sustainable in the future," O'Sullivan said.

"In 10 years time we want each country to be running an Academy with their own coaches so that the English-based coaches can take on different roles."

Lefebvre dismissed arguments that the inclusion of non-Test playing nations in the World Cup is diluting the competition, arguing that allowing European nations to participate is vital for the well-being of cricket.

"The World Cup is a global tournament and not only for the elite and well paid superstars. The philosophy of cricket is that it is an inclusive rather than exclusive game," he said.

"If you exclude cricketers who play the game with passion in so-called minnow nations then the game will die in those countries."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4429611.stm

ajithlalm
April 20, 2005, 06:48 AM
I too agree that world up is a global touranment not to be played by well paid superstars only