PDA

View Full Version : Dav's leaving

samircreep
April 9, 2005, 12:13 AM
Dav's leaving in September. I just met him at Stan Chart yesterday, we both use the same branch. Talks are pretty much finalized between him and the indiand cricket board, they're still haggling over the length of contract as the board wants to give him a one year contract to startf off with but whatmore wants a longer contract.

Anyways, such is professional cricket. So who should our next coach be?

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:21 AM
WHAT?

dukha
April 9, 2005, 12:21 AM
haha ei chapata marar dorker ki ? Media er agey Banglacricketstaff janey ? lol ........... Is that possible ....... ? Tarmaney desh er shanbadikra ghash khai ................. , ekhon onek din baaki eto din e koto kisu hoiya jai , agey leave koruk . porey dekhum .......

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 9:08 AM GMT, by oracle.
Reason: moderation

babubangla
April 9, 2005, 12:22 AM
It's a confusing time.
I don't know what to believe.
Getting opposing news from left and right.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:22 AM
And all this time, I have been thinking that it was all 'rumours'!

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:26 AM
Does it mean that both Habibul Bashar & Khaled Mahmud know about Dav's leaving? Because as per Daily Star's report today, Dav talked with both Bashar & Mahmud during break time of practice session!

pagol-chagol
April 9, 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by samircreep
Dav's leaving in September. I just met him at Stan Chart yesterday, we both use the same branch. Talks are pretty much finalized between him and the indiand cricket board, they're still haggling over the length of contract as the board wants to give him a one year contract to startf off with but whatmore wants a longer contract.

Anyways, such is professional cricket. So who should our next coach be?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

pagol-chagol
April 9, 2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by dukha
haha ei chapata marar dorker ki ? Media er agey Banglacricketstaff janey ? lol ........... Is that possible ....... ? Tarmaney desh er shanbadikra ghash khai ................. Shobgulai money Chagol .....Samir bhai kisu money koiren nah , ekhon onek din baaki eto din e koto kisu hoiya jai , agey leave koruk . porey dekhum ....... :great::great::great::great::great::great::great:: great::great::great::great::great:

Sameercreep wouldn't lie.

:(:(

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:29 AM
SO SOON!

babubangla
April 9, 2005, 12:30 AM
Does Samircreep has very close friendly relation with Dav? With due respect to Samircreep, I was thinking it is very unusual for a person like Dav to discuss such an information at a Bank Counter, whereas he is not discussing the information even with the BCB.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:31 AM
I just saw a terrific post at Bangladesher Khela - why don't we exchange Whatmore for Wright?

samircreep
April 9, 2005, 12:32 AM
Ya Shumon knows I'm sure. The thing is, players are under a code of conduct so they cant really say anything in public.

Dav makes 10 grand a month (I know this coz Raihan Alauddin, a manager at stan chart gulshan branch is a close friend of mine) and apparently the indian board is offering him almost twice as much. Hard offer to turn down.

On another note, ash and aftab went to bongo yesterday to pile up on thei winter clothes:fanflag:

dukha
April 9, 2005, 12:32 AM
Arey eto doraner ki asey ? Or familyrey kidnapped koira nimu ney September e ....... That's totally he leaves in September join what ? Join Malaysia or Zimbabwe .... Middle of the month unless the contract finished noone can leave ........ Bhaiyera Ei shob chapabaazitey bishwash koiren nah ......... Alright ya wanna proove we wanna see the media report says "I am Leaving" don't have it huh . So why saying crap for crap thread .......... Duniyai ki shobai pagol ? Jak jak Chil e kaan niya gesey ....Kintu Bangladesh e to chil e nai .............hahahaha...............:flag::flag::f lag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::fla g:

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:33 AM
Now what will happen to us?

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:35 AM
the indian board is offering him almost twice as much. Hard offer to turn down.

Yes, one comment of a certain BCB official at the Daily Star report today hinted something like that.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 12:43 AM
Will Whatmore stay upto the SL tour, or will he leave before the SL tour begins?

samircreep
April 9, 2005, 12:45 AM
I think that's the problem with having a high profile coach. I remember when I interviewed Dav for the first time last winter, he told me that he was kinda pissed for not being retained by the SL management and the BD job was more of a challenege than a longterm professional move. He actually used BDs first test win as a benchmark and said that would be the aim of his job. Well, he's acheieved that and maybe he just wants to coach the big boys now, something that he had always wanted from day 1.

These things will happen and as i said, thats one of the problems with having a high profile coach.

dukha
April 9, 2005, 12:50 AM
I think that's the problem with having a high profile coach. I remember when I interviewed Dav for the first time last winter, he told me that he was kinda pissed for not being retained by the SL management and the BD job was more of a challenege than a longterm professional move. He actually used BDs first test win as a benchmark and said that would be the aim of his job. Well, he's acheieved that and maybe he just wants to coach the big boys now, something that he had always wanted from day 1.

These things will happen and as i said, thats one of the problems with having a high profile coach.

Come on Sameer ? Why worring too much ? So we have so manys choices , if he leaves then who cares ? He can't stay long with a team anyway as he left Srilanka ......Who cares man ? I just wondered our media never has any kind of info but ya have . Good on ya mate ......... Great News , Dav's profile is not good to stay along with a team for a long time ........... Allah jaa korey bhalor jonnei korey . Mind that ........:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 5:51 AM GMT, by dukha.

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 5:53 AM GMT, by dukha.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 01:01 AM
if he leaves then who cares ?

I care.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 01:06 AM
think that's the problem with having a high profile coach. I remember when I interviewed Dav for the first time last winter, he told me that he was kinda pissed for not being retained by the SL management and the BD job was more of a challenege than a longterm professional move. He actually used BDs first test win as a benchmark and said that would be the aim of his job. Well, he's acheieved that and maybe he just wants to coach the big boys now, something that he had always wanted from day 1.

Well I suppose from our own track records, we have never been able to retain a good coach for long without too much bad incidents. So it is better in a way that Dav is leaving (who am I kidding? Just trying to find out positives from all the negetive things).

If Dav leaves in this way, then we will always have an outside chance of getting him back some time later if he wants - unlike the way we fired Gordon Greenidge, or the way Amarnath or Mohsin Kamal left.

dukha
April 9, 2005, 01:08 AM
Why ya care ? If his intension to leave the team . he is not gonna perform well . He will find the way get kicked out from The BCB .. Do we want that ? Obviously not ...... Jar jeita kortey iccha korey tarey tai e kortey dewa uchit aar tarey jor koira kisu korano jai nah ? :(:(:(:(:(

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 6:10 AM GMT, by dukha.

shujan
April 9, 2005, 01:26 AM
McInnee for our National team coach.:up:

RazabQ
April 9, 2005, 01:50 AM
Well, it had to happen I guess. So Dav will leave in September. Pity - not just cuz he's a good coach and BD will owe him a lot. Rather more because his impending departure might just be the psychological blow that cuases the Tiger's to implode. I wish Dav well in India - though I suspect he will not be that succesful there. I do wish though he had been a little more tactful and considerate in his professional pursuits.

al
April 9, 2005, 01:54 AM
I admired Dave the way he defended bangladesh in tough times. Good luck to him if he really wants to leave. I only thought, timing could have been better becuase dave has everything going for him now in bangladesh. may be he wants to retire in few years and get another wc ring before that

Carte Blanche
April 9, 2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by shujan

You're a light-year behind bud. McInnes has taken up a job offer with Cricket Australia and is leaving this summer.

Anyway back to the topic - I agree with RazabQ there. But you also have to see the financial aspect. He'd be stupid to stay with BD when he's got a job offer that is much more prestigious and bears a salivating prospect of twice the salary. He belongs to the big boys' league anyway.

While I hesitate to predict his performance with the Indians, I doubt he will be very successful with them. It's a whole different proposition coaching the Indians - a captain as dominating as Ganguly, legend like Tendulkar (who probably doesn't need a coach anyway), a dasher like Sehwag, and a host of others. Nonetheless his stint with the Tigers gave him the opportunity to hone his patience and doggedness that can only help him coach better in future. Cheers for everything he has done for us. Let's be grateful to him for his contribution. But sadly it's time to move on. Let's now talk about his replacement.

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 7:06 AM GMT, by Carte Blanche.

April 9, 2005, 02:11 AM
I think it's high time we stopped discussing about this issue. We can't be so dependent on Dave Whatmore, we shouldn't even care if he leaves. The main target for the players should be to play competitively and maintain a consistency. No need to panic! After all, its the player who has to help themselves.

I don't think we can thank Dave enough for the way he has revolutionised our cricket.

nsd3
April 9, 2005, 02:17 AM
Yes replacement! How about thinking of Kepler Wessels again? Or any other Aussies?

Carte Blanche
April 9, 2005, 02:20 AM
Got a couple of questions.

We know from the press that his contract expires on April the 30th. But according to Samir (trustworthy source) he leaves in September. So will he be travelling to England with our team? Is BCB renewing his contract for the summer only then?

shujan
April 9, 2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Originally posted by shujan

You're a light-year behind bud. McInnes has taken up a job offer with Cricket Australia and is leaving this summer.

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 7:06 AM GMT, by Carte Blanche.

Dude which one is better coaching a test team or coaching prospects?

mahbubH
April 9, 2005, 02:39 AM
I think India will select their coach at the end of this month (I read this in an Indian newspaper yesterday). If they already know DW is the person and it is very unusual for Indian media that they did not know that before.

I doubt this news that DW is leaving in September and already accepted as next Indian coach. He may leave but I don't think India already selected their next coach.

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 02:47 AM
I doubt this news that DW is leaving in September and already accepted as next Indian coach. He may leave but I don't think India already selected their next coach.

Either Dav is waiting for an official proposal from the Indian board, or he will take over the job of any county team or any Australian domestic team's coach.

But the main point is: he'll be leaving Bangladesh this September.

Yes, we have to start think of possible replacements now.

dukha
April 9, 2005, 02:53 AM
Hairey bangali , bangali Engrezi bujhey nah Read this carefully , Dav is going nowhere .....

http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/04/09/d50409040434.htm

bdmoderator
April 9, 2005, 03:06 AM
Really bad news. He done well for Bangladesh. But it is not confirm that he is leaving or not.

cricket_pagla
April 9, 2005, 04:03 AM
very confusing... thread!...:yawn:

babubangla
April 9, 2005, 04:20 AM
Just met Dav in Kachabazaar at Karwanbazaar . We both go there to buy Pui-Shak. He told me that he loves the fresh vegitables in Bangladesh and he is going no where. He asked BCB for 2K salaray raise and free supply of Pui-Shak everyday. BCB already accepted his demand and they will sign the contact Monday.
:great::great::great:

Navarene
April 9, 2005, 05:50 AM
Wait a sec! Both samircreep and babubangla are exaggerating! The real fact is that Dav called me last night and told that he would leave on October 31, 2005 at GMT 15 hrs 29 mins and 59 sec to be precise. But I advised him to stick with BCB untill the desert freezes and camels run skating home. He said he would seriously give a thought on my advise. BTW, you guys wanna know why did he bother to discuss serious matters about his career with me even before with BCB or any BD journalists for that matter? Its because Dav has been drinking too much "bangla cholai mod" these days. Poor lad :(

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 11:03 AM GMT, by Navarene.

captain_thinking_tank
April 9, 2005, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by babubangla
Just met Dav in Kachabazaar at Karwanbazaar . We both go there to buy Pui-Shak. He told me that he loves the fresh vegitables in Bangladesh and he is going no where. He asked BCB for 2K salaray raise and free supply of Pui-Shak everyday. BCB already accepted his demand and they will sign the contact Monday.
:great::great::great:

during the Indian tour when he last came to Chittagong i saw him buying Latha mach’er Sutkee from Khatungong fish market. he was wearing Lungee and smoking Biri at that time. im not sure what kind of Biri he was smoking, but i think it was Akiz Biri. i wanted to talk to him but he was too busy bargaining with shopkeeper. i have a friend from Dhaka, sells Balaka’s movie ticket in Black-market, told me that Dave is one of his very regular customer. he loves to watch Bangladeshi dance movies. indeed he is in love of Bangladeshi stuffs. how could he leave us?

fan_frm_the_uk
April 9, 2005, 08:25 AM
Good luck Dev. Thanx for all your contribution. If he is professional. BCB are suppoed to be more professional. Hope they will find the rite person for our team.

May be its not possible, but I wish Steve Waugh as our next coach. wat do u think?

fwullah
April 9, 2005, 09:39 AM
Since everybody is making fun here, I saw 'Bangladesh Cricket Board' - written car (it may have been a microbus - can't remember now) near Khazana at Gulshan 2 - the restuarant where I once saw the Indian national cricket team to eat dinner there.

The point is that it may have been a car provided by the BCB for usage by Dav Whatmore.

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 2:41 PM GMT, by fwullah.
Reason: The point is ...

mwrkhan
April 9, 2005, 09:39 AM
As I mentioned in another post lets have the two M's Mohsin and Mohinder replace Dav and Richard. :joy:

ialbd
April 9, 2005, 11:10 AM
Dav also called me. He said banglacricket forum e topic er obhab dekhe he decided to play this little game...:D
________
Marijuana Dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

samircreep
April 9, 2005, 11:17 AM
Well, I think the worrying point is not that Dav's leaving (which was imminent I thought from day one) but the board policy in hiring high profile coaches for a short time (remember, Dav hasnt finished two years at BD).

Theres one school of thought that accepts high profile coaches leaving after a short time as a given. After all, we live in highly professional times where careers are far more important than emotional attachements that tie us to particular institutions.Dav has done an excellent job with our cricket, and if he does take up the India offer, he will be leaving a team which has made significant steps in achieving world standard fitness and professioanlism.

On the other hand, our team is not an established international team but a transitional one and having a steady influence and guidance is significant, if not integral to our development.I will be sad to see Dav go for the same reason Glouster went; they both had tremendous rapport with the team, knew the players inside out, and more importantly, served as tremendous abbassadors to the country (even when you meet glouster in parties, the only thing he keeps talking about is how excited the guys are about their fitness).I mean, the new guy will have to start from scratch, with perhaps an all different philosophy to cricket.

Thus, the point remains: how sustainable is it for the sake of our cricket to keep hiring high profile coaches who seem to do a great job but won't be here or a long time?Do we accept it as a part and parcel of modern professional cricket or do we look beyond and ask for a longer commitment from perhaps "lower-profiled" coach who might see the bigger picture better? Or are the two opinions mutually exclusive at all?

Anyways, the next two weeks will be crucial. It looks like BCCI might give in to Das' rquest of a contract till 2007, it might be goodbye for him.

dukha
April 9, 2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ialbd
Dav also called me. He said banglacricket forum e topic er obhab dekhe he decided to play this little game...:D

Such a great game to play with ......... So many guys haven't even slept after they heard that ........ lol

Daddy_Mac
April 9, 2005, 11:27 AM
What if Dav doesn't get the job as the Indian coatch.
I think he is playing mind games to see how is BCB willing to do for him.ex..1....increase his salary. 2..give him more holidays. 3.. give him more facilities. 4.. wanting bonous for every match and thins like that..
I think it might work because of some die..die...die hard fan like fwullah....If you know what I meant....

chinaman
April 9, 2005, 11:43 AM
For those of you who do not know samircreep, he is very respected journalist here. He has lots of high profile connections. He personally interviewed many celebrities including Dav Whatmore himself in the past. And Banglacricket was the first to publish that interview. He also had many interviews with Richard McInnes.

samircreep traveled many countries. In fact on such a travel he first met McInnes and got closer to him before the later became a member here.

samircreep is also attached to an elite monthly, The Ice.

Few links to samircreep's interviews:

Big News:Whatmore Interview >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=3470)

Mcinnes interview >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=3769)

Big Ask Sachin Anything >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=8122)

couger
April 9, 2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
I just saw a terrific post at Bangladesher Khela - why don't we exchange Whatmore for Wright?

Don't think Wright's the right guy for us. We need a 'teacher' not merely a 'manager'.

chyicarus
April 9, 2005, 12:19 PM
Some of the thread participants either wants the Natl Team's coaching job or recently won a tape-tennis competition thus brimming with confidence(not the team's but himself)!
Dav leaving shouldn't be a worry- but it is going to be a big deal because the players were accusomed to his style of training/practice etc.
I totally agree with Samircreep about the drawbacks of hiring "high profile" coaches- but thats exactly what we needed. People started looking at BD cricket seriously and our domestic cricket structure and exposure grew tremendously.
What we need is a working coach who can quickly adjust to the players and condition quickly. I'm totally against hiring of sub-continental coaches. But i'm more in support of a coach's coach, who can train our BD coaches!
We have huge demands from our cricketers and look upto them- so its neccessary to keep their progree on an inclining level!

couger
April 9, 2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
Now what will happen to us?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yes, it is a big loss but one I'd hope we can recover from. There are a few very good coaches out there abd BCB has shown its willingness to invest in this sector, eg. Whatmore. McInnes etc. Just as long as they don't commit another blunder like Mohsin Kamal.

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 5:21 PM GMT, by couger.

couger
April 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by mwrkhan
As I mentioned in another post lets have the two M's Mohsin and Mohinder replace Dav and Richard. :joy:

In that case ICC will soon be talking about a "Three Tier" system, BD being in the third tier.

couger
April 9, 2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by fan_frm_the_uk
Good luck Dev. Thanx for all your contribution. If he is professional. BCB are suppoed to be more professional. Hope they will find the rite person for our team.

May be its not possible, but I wish Steve Waugh as our next coach. wat do u think?

Right, thanks Dav. Don't think Steve Waugh's the right guy for us thaugh. He's not tested. He may just turn out to be a great coach but we can't afford to experiment at this stage.

Ehsan
April 9, 2005, 01:32 PM
Talks are pretty much finalized between him and the indiand cricket board, they're still haggling over the length of contract as the board wants to give him a one year contract to startf off with but whatmore wants a longer contract.

If this story is true then I think it didn't work out b/w Dav and the Indian Board because of the contract thing. Read the news posted by reverse_swing from Daily Star.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10789

Spitfire_x86
April 9, 2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by couger
Don't think Steve Waugh's the right guy for us thaugh. He's not tested. He may just turn out to be a great coach but we can't afford to experiment at this stage.
I think Steve Waugh could be a great choice for us. Just his personality and great cricket career should have big impact on our players, especially because he's recently retired and fresh in the memory of our current generation cricketers. Though he doesn't have formal coaching education, he definately knows the game very well. I don't see why a great captain can't be a good coach.

I didn't mention name as possible Whatmore alternative in any thread because it's very unlikely that he will want this job.

TigerFan
April 9, 2005, 02:28 PM
he isn't leaving, you can have a good night sleep now, ok.

aosaif
April 9, 2005, 03:09 PM
this thread is so funny....so so funny....

dukha
April 9, 2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Originally posted by dukha
haha ei chapata marar dorker ki ? Media er agey Banglacricketstaff janey ? lol ........... Is that possible ....... ? Tarmaney desh er shanbadikra ghash khai ................. Shobgulai money Chagol .....Samir bhai kisu money koiren nah , ekhon onek din baaki eto din e koto kisu hoiya jai , agey leave koruk . porey dekhum ....... :great::great::great::great::great::great::great:: great::great::great::great::great:

Sameercreep wouldn't lie.

:(:(

I don't wanna say but i just heard the btv news as they said another 2 years extension with "Dav Whatmore" has finilised today .........Bad luck .............. Guys .. i thaught "Sameercreep" won't lie ........ Might have been the wrong Dav who he had a chat with .................lol:joy::joy::joy::joy:

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 1:25 AM GMT, by dukha.

Lutfulkhan
April 9, 2005, 08:54 PM
all i can say who ever this famous journalist is he is a very bad one. Mr.samircreep thanks for the info if its true....but hai u must be a great pal of Watmore to come and publicise about his Salary and other confidential information which u have no right to publise....if it wasnt in Bangladesh I would have made sure u were to court for this......ya dud u r quite a professional!.....go and get a life

dukha
April 9, 2005, 09:05 PM
Read the source from "Prothom Alo ..........."

িবশকাপ পযગੰ੪ থাকেছন োডভ োহায়াটেমার

ਠઙীড়া পઝিতেবদক

জাতীয় দেলর োকাচ িহেসেব োডভ োহায়াটেমারেক অােরা দઓ বছর পাওয়ার বઘাপাের ੂরઔ োথেকই অাশাবাদী িছল বাংলােদশ িਠઙেকট োবাডગ (িবিসিব)৷ কিদন অােগ হঠাਅই তা িনেয় সংশয় োদখা িদল িবিবিসর একিট িরেপােটગ৷ এেত োহায়াটেমারেক উਤৄত কেরই বলা হেয়েছ, িতিন ভারেতর োকাচ হেত অাগઝহী৷ িরেপাটગিট অসંীকার কেরনিন োহায়াটেমার৷ এবং তারপর োথেকই পઝেশੱর ੂরઔ− িਦতীয় োময়ােদ িতিন বাংলােদেশর োকাচ থাকেছন োতা? বারবার এই পઝেশੱর জবােব ‘হঁઘা’ বলেত বলেত কઆাੰ੪ িবিসিবর কমગকতગারা কাল অানઓੋািনকভােবই িদেয়েছন োঘাষণাটা− ২০০৭ িবশੴকাপ পযગੰ੪ বাংলােদেশর োকাচ থাকেত রািজ হেয়েছন োহায়াটেমার৷ ‘অামরা দઓ পਉই এ িবষেয় োমৗিখকভােব সমઅত হেয়িছ৷ িশগিগরই অানઓੋািনকভােব চઓিਡઙ সই করা হেব’− িਠઙেকট অઘাওয়াডગ উপলেਉ অােয়ািজত সংবাদ সেমઅলন োশেষ বেলেছন িবিসিবর উপেদੈা মাহবઓবઓল অানাম৷

http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2005-04-10

Yeah just get a life .......... I agree with ya lutfulkhan ........ Anyway great Thread to have more than 50 replies ........... lol .........

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 2:21 AM GMT, by dukha.