PDA

View Full Version : Front-page article: Target England

Optimist
April 9, 2005, 10:56 AM
An excellent, balanced and above all enjoyable piece. Well done Rubu Islam. Especially liked the way the writer highlighted the pacer/spinner dilemma - It will be a test for Mashraffe/Taposh/Shahdat/Nazmul to show how good they are! The emphasis on "net practice" is also spot on - it is difficult to get an opportunity to practice in "swing-conducive" environment. We should take advantage of every single moment and request as many practice bowlers as we can get and let everyone bat in the net as long as possible!

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 4:01 PM GMT, by Optimist.

couger
April 9, 2005, 12:35 PM
Right, very well written. Good job Rubu
islam.:up:

Rubu
April 9, 2005, 04:08 PM
just trying to see if we are to acheive any more target than those mentioned in the article?

any more goals u guys can think of that should be on our agenda on england tour?

oracle
April 9, 2005, 04:55 PM
A side target would be to change the perception of the British media towards BD cricket so that they are more knowledgeable and sympathetic to the cause of BD cricket after the tour.

that can only be achieved by one or 2 individual outsanding performances from the team. Personally, I would like to see my pet dream come true, i.e one or two of those guys getting a chance to play in one of the county teams in the future, near future, i.e.

IanW
April 9, 2005, 06:30 PM
Artifical Swing

You can so get swing on the subcontinent.

It's just illegal.

What you do is damage one side of the ball, load it with bryl-cream or something else oily, cover half the ball in plastic tape etc etc. Ask an umpire for a full list of illegal ball-tempering techniques *grin*

Very illegal in matches - but perfectly OK for net practice.

So get a bucket of balls and a fast-medium bowler, and experiment. Then get some batsmen in the nets to face the tampered balls.

Remember gentlemen ... this isnt Australia - front foot forward.

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 11:31 PM GMT, by IanW.
Reason: spellinhg

Sham
April 9, 2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by IanW

Remember gentlemen ... this isnt Australia - front foot forward.

Man, this is the best piece of advice I have read for our team in a while. I was thinking of writing an article on it, but lazy that I am, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it, so its good you brought it up!

Its almost impossible to overstate the importance of getting on the front foot for our batsmen in England in early summer. Firstly, the pitches will not be very quick and England will do us a favour by bowling short, so they definitely won't do that. Bowling short will only kill the swing and make it easier for our batsmen! The English bowlers will pitch em up and trouble us with the lateral movement. That is why we HAVE to get on the front foot to try to negate the swing as much as possible.

Our players also have to leave the ball as much as possible, especially when its new. The ones way outside off or ones that are short enough to go over the stumps should be left well alone. But they should be looking to come on to the front foot and deciding from there which balls to leave. Staying on the back foot will be suicide for our boys. The English bowlers will slip in the straight ones and catch our chaps plumb in front! In swinging conditions, there really is no reason to go back and make it harder for yourself.

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 12:38 AM GMT, by Sham.

Optimist
April 9, 2005, 08:31 PM
Artifical Swing

It's just illegal.

If you are talking about "Reverse Swing (RS)", is it really the same? Firstly RS as I have seen comes as inswinging yorker (to the right hander). We will have more problem with the deliveries moving away. Secondly I'm not sure how many of our bowlers will be able to deliver RS even with a tampered ball! Pace certainly will be a limiting factor. Secondly RS, as it moves in the opposite direction as compared to a new ball with the same action, may only serve to confuse our batsmen. Secondly RS does need lot of practice. A bowler's action has a lot to do with it!

Swing in England will come naturally with the new ball. Even medium pacers will get plenty of swing. I don't know if ball tempering, as you have described will allow Taposh and Co. to move the cherrry!

If you are not talking about RS - the above certainly does not apply.

RazabQ
April 9, 2005, 08:44 PM
I've been harlping about this front foot thing for a while - refer to my postings from the India tour time-frame. Of the current side, Nafis, Ashraf & Aftab are the only ones who have shown an aptitude for front-foot play. Rajin, Bashar, Javed - for all three their favorite scoring shots are off the back foot.

The batsmen should also get in the habit of standing a little outside the crease - to cut down on swing.

cricman
April 10, 2005, 11:19 AM
I dont like it cause it basicly says play not to embarrass
yourselfs and not play to win the game!

Sham
April 10, 2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by razabq
I've been harlping about this front foot thing for a while - refer to my postings from the India tour time-frame. Of the current side, Nafis, Ashraf & Aftab are the only ones who have shown an aptitude for front-foot play. Rajin, Bashar, Javed - for all three their favorite scoring shots are off the back foot.

The batsmen should also get in the habit of standing a little outside the crease - to cut down on swing.

Yeah I agree. They should have no problems standing a little outside the crease. The wickets will be pretty slow and no one apart for Harmison is so rapid that our batsmen should be scared to stand out of their crease.

Also, you are right about Nafis, Ashraful and Aftab being the only batsmen comfortable on the front foot. However, we can narrow it down even more. Only Ashraful has shown the ability to get on the front foot and still have time to decide what to do. For most of our other batsmen, committing themselves on the front foot means committing themselves to a shot as well, whether it be an attacking shot or a defensive shot. I haven't seen too many of them take a firm stride forward and then leave a ball on length.

I know its not easy to do and we cant really blame them. Normally, if the ball was just short of a good length, you would be going back to it. If you come forward and then try to play at it, you risk being caught at short leg. However, in England, unless the ball is short pitched, they should look to go forward as much as possible. Then leave if the ball can be left, but don't get stuck on the back foot! The kind of delivery that worries me is the one that will pitch fractionally short of a good length, our batsmen will go back and then get hit on the knee roll right in front of off and middle! I can definitely see that happening to Golla, Bashar and Rajin and I can see it happen to the other three as well.

Anyway, I hope they realize that the front foot is the only one to play off on these soggy English pitches. Its still better to commit to a shot on the front foot to balls that can be left than to go back and look silly!

al Furqaan
April 10, 2005, 06:45 PM
great article !!!

beat me to it, but i ll try to write something :)

chinaman
April 10, 2005, 06:57 PM
Sham, which foot requires more control in terms of body weight? Thanks.

Last time, England made good of short pitch deliveries. Our batsmen surrendered for 'self qurbani' one after another to those well planned short deliveries of various length. Do you think they will have to rewrite their plan this time around?

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 11:01 AM
Artifical Swing

What you do is damage one side of the ball, load it with bryl-cream or something else oily, cover half the ball in plastic tape etc etc.

i agree. merely taping one half of a tennis ball can do wonders for even a not-so-decent 2nd division quickie. not only will this generate enough swing for our batsmen to go nuts when they face masri and tapash in the nets, but it will also generate quite a bit of bounce.

as for harmisson, they can always get some guy from the pacer hunt to bowl at them from a shortened pitch (the national team bowlers will require practice on normal size pitches, and they can't be used as a practice machine).

Optimist
April 12, 2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
i agree. merely taping one half of a tennis ball can do wonders for even a not-so-decent 2nd division quickie. not only will this generate enough swing for our batsmen to go nuts when they face masri and tapash in the nets, but it will also generate quite a bit of bounce.

I'm sure you have played tape-tennis! I have played a lot and seen many a bowler generate exaggerated swing with a taped tennis. I my self can do it quite well. You don't necessarily have to tape one side. Even with no taping one can swing a tennis ball prodigiously! Swing has a lot to do with the mass of the ball. Try bowling with a table-tennis bowl and you will see how easy it is to swing!

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 11:56 AM
haha...i remember thrashing this guy all over the ground...then, on his next delivery, he took half of the tape off, and i was left clueless! that was a beauty - pitching on middle, i went on my front foot, ball took a vicious turn off the pitch and i was forced to the back foot with my bat making a desperate attempt to follow the ball outside the off stump. in the end i was in a complete mess, and i was lucky enough not to nick it. the bowler himself was clueless - the ball had missed the off stump by miles!

i guess practicing with a taped (or non-taped, as you mentioned) tennis ball can actually help our batsmen to deal with their weaknesses with the incoming delivery (Pathan) and also help them imrove in playing the ones that move away from the body in air, and fly further away from the body after pitching outside off, enticing the batsmen to go for deadly drives through the cover.

RazabQ
April 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
Read somewhere that the Flower brothers used a different tactic to practice against swing bowling using tennis balls. The'd shave one side. So one side would be smooth as a baby's bottom and the other would have the rough felt. I tried it once. Works like a charm. If you can then add tape to create a seam down the middle you should be able to practice reverse swing. I'd love to try this with the new "heavy" tennis balls.

Tokai
April 12, 2005, 02:00 PM
put vasiline on one side of the cricket ball and it should do the same as long as the bowling speed is decent.

problem is, u've to play it in your bedroom to avoid dust on the vasiline.

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by razabq
The'd shave one side.

actually, that's another very good tactic that works like magic!