PDA

View Full Version : DailyStar: Whatmore going nowhere

reverse_swing
April 9, 2005, 01:21 PM
Sports Reporter

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) disclosed yesterday that they were very close to finalising another two-year contract with coach Dav Whatmore.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/04/10/2005-04-10__sports02.jpg
IT'S REALLY HOT: National cricketers take a break after an energy-sapping training session at the Army Stadium on Saturday. PHOTO: STAR

"We are very close to signing another two-year contract. We have discussed about the renewal of the contract and in principle both sides (BCB and Whatmore) agreed the terms and conditions of the draft proposal," said Mahbub Anam, BCB advisor and chairman of the cricket operations committee, at a press conference Saturday.

The BCB announcement came three days after BBC Sport ran a story linking Whatmore to becoming India's next coach.

But the 50-year-old Australian, whose contract with the BCB expires at the end of this month, apparently dismissed a move despite adopting a go-slow strategy regarding the renewal of his contract till the next World Cup in 2007.

"We will sign it as soon as possible and of course by this month," said Mahbub.

Mahbub however was reluctant to explain why the signing was delayed even if everything was finalised.

"I can only say that he (Whatmore) is a very honourable person that's why there is no scope of bargaining about anything," he added.

But many feel it was certainly the financial aspects rather than anything else delaying the renewal of the contract.

"It is very natural that after ending a tenure you have to increase the money," said Mahbub.

But the bearded BCB official said that it has nothing to do with the speculation of a financial package offered by someone else.

The Board is keen to retain Whatmore with the demanding England assignment starting next month.

Replying to a question, Mahbub said that they are already searching for a replacement of Under-19 coach Richard McInnes, who resigned this month and was set join the Commonwealth Cricket Academy in Brisbane.

"It is very natural in the professional world that one should try to get a better job. We are already trying to find a replacement," he added.
-DailyStar

Edited on, April 9, 2005, 6:29 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

reverse_swing
April 9, 2005, 02:03 PM
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

Bangladesh Cricket Board is hopeful about retaining the services of national coach Dav Whatmore until the next World Cup and is confident of completing a fresh agreement with him with an increased salary and benefits within a few days.
Whatmore confessed that he had a discussion with the BCB but did not comment when asked what will be his final decision if India offers him the coaching job.
BCB adviser Mahbubul Anam disclosed on Saturday they had a successful discussion with Whatmore and the coach agreed to the extension of his contract until the 2007 World Cup.
We discussed with the coach and we have reached an agreement for a two-year extension to his contract and I am hopeful to complete the deal soon, said Anam.
When asked when the signing will be completed as a delay can ruin their discussions, the adviser failed to give a fixed date.
He also hinted the salary and benefits also will be increased. We have finalised the details of the contract and obviously after the renewal of the contract salary and benefits will definitely be changed, Anam clarified.
Whatmore confessed to New Age that he had a detailed discussion with the BCB. Its true I had talks with the BCB and perhaps you have already got the news.
However, when asked if finally India gives a proposal to him what will be his decision, the coach only smiled and refrained from commenting on the issue.
Meanwhile, an adviser of the BCB admitted that the agreement depends on Indian proposal. If India finally wants to recruit Whatmore, the scenario can be changed dramatically any time.
Whatmore came to Bangladesh before a crucial tour to Australia two years ago.
His presence boosted the confidence of the Bangladesh cricketers who fought bravely Down Under.
The hardworking and friendly Whatmore had become the hero in no time and under him the Bangladesh team made dramatic improvement.
Finally he helped Bangladesh achieve their greatest success winning the Test and one-day series against Zimbabwe along with a magical ODI victory over India.
However, Whatmore had been under tremendous pressure from the media and the BCB when Bangladesh failed to perform last year in the series against New Zealand, Asia Cup and ICC Champions Trophy in a row.
The relation may have gone cold for sometime. But we believe he is an honourable person and he has the ability to give Bangladesh cricket many things. Thats why we dont want to lose him, added the adviser.

-Newage

rana
April 9, 2005, 02:24 PM
very good news:great:

TigerFan
April 9, 2005, 02:24 PM
good news, alhamdulillah.

Akib
April 9, 2005, 02:26 PM
Good news... Im hoping he stays....

If he goes to India i hope him the best of luck in all their test matches excluding matches agaisnt BD.

TigerFan
April 9, 2005, 02:27 PM
thanks reverse_swing for the news

chyicarus
April 9, 2005, 02:51 PM
We should just keep quiet and let the man take his decision!

aosaif
April 9, 2005, 03:12 PM
where is the honorable sameercreep who started the funny thread about whatmore buying pui-shak and watching bangali movies?

Sham
April 9, 2005, 05:04 PM
I dont understand how the newspapers can come out with reports titled 'Whatmore going nowhere' when it seems like Whatmore is unwilling to comment on what will happen if India offers him a job and the BCB is saying quite openly that things might change dramatically if India does give him an offer!

It seems to me like everything hinges on India's decision. So, why are we happy at these news reports and feeling all relieved? Has anything changed from 12 hours ago, when we knew that everything depended on India? No!

dancin in the rain
April 9, 2005, 06:01 PM
The Daily Prothom Alo confirmed that DW is going to stay with us till 2007. Please follow the link to read the news http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2005-04-10prothom-alo news (http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2005-04-10)
I feel really bad after reading the other thread where Sameercreep told that he had a personal conversation with DW regarding his next job. It was hard to believe since DW is a professional and it is very rare that professional people will talk these things in public. It was a big joke Sameercreep.....Isn't it? People should sue you to put them in agony :E

It's a happy ending now.....:great:

reverse_swing
April 9, 2005, 06:02 PM
Spot on Sham! Some of us already have started jumping on Sameercreep!

reverse_swing
April 9, 2005, 06:06 PM
I think people should sue against Prothom-Alo and Dailystar for giving false news headline.

Rubu
April 9, 2005, 06:06 PM
the news is not final and the only thing it reflects is that bcb took 3 days to react to the BBC news. the whole business still depends on one thing: whether india board will select him or not and if they do, senior indian players will accept them or not. if dav was not waiting for that he would have been sign the contact already.

secondly, there is another thread about this news. can a mod please marge them?

Sham
April 9, 2005, 06:31 PM
I just don't get it! Are people having trouble understanding Bangla and English nowadays or are they just reading what they wish to read? Today's papers if anything have made things look worse! Daily Star's title is a joke! Dav seems to have this 'smile' on whenever he is asked about India and the BCB doesn't seem to know much about what is going on there either except that it may spoil all its plans!! What on earth is going on?

Its irritating me even more that people on this board are so easily jumping to conclusions when no one seems to be quite sure where things stand at the moment. It just seems like the Daily Star was almost trying to shame Dav into staying by putting up an article titled "Dav going nowhere!" How can you name your report that when on the crucial question of India, you got no answers! Bloody joke!

This deal better get signed soon, or Dav better get on a plane to India pretty soon. Either way, the speculation needs to end. Please remember everyone, all this is not hurting anyone more than our players, who are currently preparing for their most important tour so far as a Test playing country. The timing of Dav's flirting with India could not have been worse. I am becoming more pissed off every hour that this crap is being allowed to carry on, and its not helping that people are being so naive about the whole thing!

dancin in the rain
April 9, 2005, 06:44 PM
I think Prothom-alo news is more covincing. It's pretty clear that two side agreed verbally about the new contract. Yes...it's not yet finalized but it's way better than before and the source of the news is BCB officials. I think I understand the languages pretty clear.....not making up anyhting. Please read the news in prothom-alo and let me know what was my misunderstanding?:wow:

Sham
April 9, 2005, 06:53 PM
I've read Prothom Alo and it says the same thing that the Daily Star report talks about, the Mahbub Anam statement! But I am not at all convinced by that when Dav himself is not ruling out India! The New Age report gives a much more balanced view.

Look, the Mahbub Anam statement would have been unnecessary under normal circumstances. Its only been made because they wanted to deal with the speculation concerning Whatmore. If that was the objective, what more than anything could have ended the speculation once and for all? In my view, that could only happen in two ways, either by signing the deal (which they HOPE to do by the END of this month) or by Whatmore himself saying in no uncertain terms that he is staying (which he hasn't). If anything, I think the BCB is trying to buy some time with this statement in which to try and convince Whatmore. I don't think its conclusive at all and to think so is wishful in my opinon.

Rubu
April 9, 2005, 07:08 PM
we already have 14 threads and about 200 post on dav's leaving. but no one really knows whats going to happen nor any of the news sources have a fact. the things that are for sure:

* Dav wish to be indian coach.
* Indian board is not sure whom to chose.
* BCB wishing to get Dav sign the contact.
* Dav keep both door open, having "talks" final with BCB so that he can stay in bd in case india do not select him and dont sign the contact so that if chosen he can go.

what can end this situation?
* Dav signing the contact with BCB
*indian board getting a new coach besides dav.
*Dav signing the contact with ECB.

until one of these happen, no one can tell anything for sure. any more speculation required?

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 12:45 AM GMT, by AgentSmith.
Reason: sham's advice taken

Sham
April 9, 2005, 07:21 PM
Nope, you've summed up the situation quite well!

Under what can end the situation, Dav signing with India should be added as that is a possibility at this stage as well! I am guessing that when you wrote "Dav signing the contract," you meant with the BCB!

dukha
April 9, 2005, 08:16 PM
haha that's the way , khali pagol chagol gula ulta palta kotha koilo . Miansher ghum noshto korlo ........

Ahmed_B
April 10, 2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Sham
Look, the Mahbub Anam statement would have been unnecessary under normal circumstances. Its only been made because they wanted to deal with the speculation concerning Whatmore. ... or by Whatmore himself saying in no uncertain terms that he is staying (which he hasn't)...
Firstly, BCB took 3 days to react about the BBC report... I don't think they made the 'almost official' declaration yesterday without consulting Whatmore.

Secondly, Whatmore himself has already mentioned (i forgot in which report) that the conversation between him and BBC that they quoted has not occured recently... rather it was something in the past and they (BBC) probably just brought it up and related to their report speculations to giv the whole issue some sort of imaginary weight.... even though Whatmore hasn't denied being interested for India.

Well... it seems the whole 'Yes or No' thing will be settled within few days.. so lets just wait.

shujan
April 10, 2005, 01:56 AM
Dav stays in Bangladesh or he goes to india depands on India's decision. If India want him, he is going.......... no doubt about it. It is not that hard to understand.

Our young fans are doing wishfull thinking.

mahbubH
April 10, 2005, 01:57 AM
"We will sign it as soon as possible and of course by this month," said Mahbub.

This statement consistent with DW's with BBC where he said Indian board has to decide within this month.

"I can only say that he (Whatmore) is a very honourable person that's why there is no scope of bargaining about anything," he added.

I don't really understand this statement.

"It is very natural in the professional world that one should try to get a better job. We are already trying to find a replacement," Mahbub added.

But it is not natural that someone working with a COUNTRY showing intestion for working with another country in the professional world.

Hasib
April 10, 2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by dancin in the rain
It was a big joke Sameercreep.....Isn't it? People should sue you to put them in agony :E

b4 anyone else launches an attack on Samircreep...

Originally posted by chinaman
For those of you who do not know samircreep, he is very respected journalist here. He has lots of high profile connections. He personally interviewed many celebrities including Dav Whatmore himself in the past. And Banglacricket was the first to publish that interview. He also had many interviews with Richard McInnes.

samircreep traveled many countries. In fact on such a travel he first met McInnes and got closer to him before the later became a member here.

samircreep is also attached to an elite monthly, The Ice.

Few links to samircreep's interviews:

Big News:Whatmore Interview >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=3470)

Mcinnes interview >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=3769)

Big Ask Sachin Anything >> (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=8122)

cricket_pagla
April 10, 2005, 08:18 AM
again 2 confusing.. but thiis time good news.. 2 early 2 say any-thing!:info::snob:

Lutfulkhan
April 10, 2005, 09:19 AM
Dav, the man who tought us to dream, the man who was the peoples person....he wasnt bothered by the power houses in the big chairs but he only bothered about his boys....for once it seemed like our voices where being herad, it seemed like we as fans where one of the most important entities of the game,,,Dav you tought us to raise our voices....I hope you stayed with us but if you dont, remember, somewhere in the world you have won the heart of a Bangladeshi and no matter where you end up goin I salute you, u tought me to dream

Daddy_Mac
April 11, 2005, 07:48 AM
According to BCB Watmore isn\'t leaving.
DW is going to sigh a new two years contract.
BCB has made sure that he is not going to leave although his contract expires this month..
I think all the rumors will end....

AsifTheManRahman
April 11, 2005, 10:32 AM
I've read about references to a discussion between Samicreep and Dav on a couple of occassions in different threads. however, i haven't really come across the actual discussion. can anyone please direct me to it?

thanks

Edited on, April 11, 2005, 3:33 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Rubu
April 11, 2005, 10:50 AM
asif, check it out HERE (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10771).

that heading whatmore going nowhere... is completely inappropiate. if it were like:

"Dav is going no where..." - Mahbub Anam.

that would say the truth about the article. there should not be any confusing about that. let us wait and see what happens.whatever happens will happen within this month.

AsifTheManRahman
April 11, 2005, 10:59 AM
thanks agent.

personally, i don't support keeping dav if he has lost interest in bangladesh. i would choose any un-Mohsin Kaml-like coach over a wanting-to-leave-for-India-but-staying-back-because-things-didn't-work-out Whatmore any day.

Rubayed
April 11, 2005, 04:53 PM
I dont seem to undersand why everyone is so mad at Dav assuming that he is keeping his option open about coaching India. BCCB or Dav didnt say anything about it, so its unfair for us to jump into conclusion. Beside Its fair for any coach to be willing to coach India anyways, considering the money and fame comes with it, its also a very challenging job to coach all these talented superstars. Who wouldnt want to coach them? Dont forget what Dav did for Bangladesh and no matter what, i would love to have BCB renew his contract for two more years irrespective of what he wished about coaching India.

Edited on, April 12, 2005, 1:26 AM GMT, by Rubayed.

dancin in the rain
April 11, 2005, 08:41 PM
DW is a professional man and he is keeping his option open. That's what we do even with our jobs!!! There is nothing wrong in it nor it is that DW lost his interest in BD cricket. That's really a weird conclusion!!! I still beleive that DW is going to stay with us and BCB is acting properly but if INDIA offers him a good package over us definitely he should leave. There is no room for sentiment. I will still like DW even he leaves us. By the way folks, I didn't know who is Sameer creep and I reallly don't care..... but I will say once again I don't believe a single word of his statement :down:

Edited on, April 12, 2005, 1:45 AM GMT, by dancin in the rain.

rafiq
April 12, 2005, 05:44 AM
Not that I want him to leave Bangladesh, but if offered the India job with significantly more money, I think Whatmore would be an idiot not to leave. His goals for Bangladesh - first test and series wins - have been pretty much achieved. He has instilled confidence in the team and set reasonable standards for us to follow. Short of performing extraordinarily well in the next world cup, and achieving constant success during series like more draws and occasional wins, there is little he can do in the next year or two that he hasn't already done.

His market leverage is pretty high right now and it is only normal that he will be interested in any of the other 9 coaching jobs. I doubt if he will be as adored and loved in India as he is in Bangladeshi cricket circles, and Indians are even more quick to turn on their team and coaches than we are, but at the end of the day the money, the significantly easier standard of life (from his perspective), the challenge of coaching some of the world's best players and a return to top class Test cricket are all going to be too much for Bangladesh to match. If he stays, I will be very surprised but so glad to be proven wrong.

billah
April 12, 2005, 05:47 AM
Y'all know that he signed on the dotted line, right? He has.

mahbubH
April 12, 2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by billah
Y'all know that he signed on the dotted line, right? He has.

BCB's? or BCCI's?

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Rubayed
I dont seem to undersand why everyone is so mad at Dav ....

nobody's being mad at dav. the point is if he has indeed lost interest in bangladesh, then he will not be able to prvide us with the same service that he has for the past two years.

Dont forget what Dav did for Bangladesh.....
Edited on, April 12, 2005, 1:26 AM GMT, by Rubayed.

nobody's forgetting

Orpheus
April 15, 2005, 12:42 AM
don't know if it's mentioned anywhere in the thread but did he sign or did he not sign. Do we have him? What's the latest. ppl here telling me.. Whotmore geloga- Bangladesher ki hobe. ami boli - bhai - ekhon jai nai..sha bole.. na ami porchi gechega.....

Ekhon ami confused... please help me out :D

Banglar Chasha
April 15, 2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Orpheus
don't know if it's mentioned anywhere in the thread but did he sign or did he not sign. Do we have him? What's the latest. ppl here telling me.. Whotmore geloga- Bangladesher ki hobe. ami boli - bhai - ekhon jai nai..sha bole.. na ami porchi gechega.....

Ekhon ami confused... please help me out :D

I called Mahbub Anaam yesterday he said documents been signed last week . So , he is with us for another 2 more years , hahaha . Not to worry ....... :great:

Rubu
April 15, 2005, 01:57 AM
u are not kidding, right? i hope not.

first question: u really did call? and it sounds somehow odd that mahbub anaz will reply to u to such a question when no reporters know anything about it. not to mention the possibilty that he can lie to u. just to keep people calm.

but i really hope u are right.

Fazal
April 19, 2005, 11:26 AM
As BCB is not communicating directly to the media or the fans about the status of Dav, I would suggest the BC fan in Bangladesh to monitor the chimney in top of the BCB Building. If there is a white smoke, then Dav is secured for next two years. On the other hand, if black smoke, then the news is not good.

pagol-chagol
April 19, 2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
As BCB is not communicating directly to the media or the fans about the status of Dav, I would suggest the BC fan in Bangladesh to monitor the chimney in top of the BCB Building. If there is a white smoke, then Dav is secured for next two years. On the other hand, if black smoke, then the news is not good.

If its Red Smoke then Mohosin Kamal has been brought back.

Rubayed
April 20, 2005, 03:07 AM
All this drama regarding his contract being resigned is not going well with me. If he wants to coach India fine, if not then its fine too but my point is he should make up his mind. If he is not considering India, then why is he not signing with us? If he is then he should come open about it. I mean the only thing that is bugging me is what if he leaves us for India at the last moment on the verge of our English tour? I will still wish him well but i would want him to make up his mind quick, either way the sooner the better for us.

PoorFan
April 20, 2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Fazal
:P:P:P you are a genius!