PDA

View Full Version : Need help with wireless router ... etc.

Cricket46
April 11, 2005, 02:50 PM
Will someone here be kind enough to share their expertise with me on the purchase of Wireless Router and USB2.0 Adapter? I have many questions but I would like to ask a few here.

1. Router is to split the cable lines basically, into more than 1 computer, right? Do all routers have jacks for printer cables?
2. For home use for highschool kidsí homeworks/MSN chat etc. and for live streaming of videos (that I need for watching cricket) is 54 Mbps a good enough data speed? I know one is available with 108 Mbps in the market.
3. I understand I would have to put in the modem cable into the router (now) instead of the computer. Then either, I use cable from the router to the 1st computer or do it wireless. For the 2nd computer is it enough to buy a USB2.0 adapter or is a PC card a better option?
4. Netgear has an online offer for WGB111 54Mbps Wireless Router and USB 2.0 Adapter Kit. This is their brief description: NETGEAR's 54 Mbps Wireless Router and PC Card Kit offers the speed of 54 Mbps and the convenience of a getting a NETGEAR Wireless Router (WGR614) and Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (WG111) at the same time.. Do you think it is a good buy? Cost around $100.
5. Did I ask too many questions?

Please ignore my ignorance.

babubangla
April 17, 2005, 12:27 PM
I understood couple of your questions and I guess I could answer cople of them:

1. Router allow you to share your high-speed internet connection among your computers. Also, it allows you to make a home network to share files and network game play. Common geberal purpose routers has capacity of sharing internet up to 4 to 6 computers. But they will not have jacks for printer cable. For sharing your printer, you have to make a home network. In this case, the printer will be connected to a computer and other computers will have access to the printer via that printer-connected computer. But if your printer-connected computer is turned off, other computers will not be able to print. For independent printer sharing, you can also buy another print server.

2. 54mbps or 108mbps has almost nothing to do with your MSNchat/kid's homework. In most cases, your high-speed internet connection speed will be 1.5mbps. So, even tough your router is capable of handling 54 or 108mbps, your internet speed will be just 1.5mbps. 54/108 mbps matters only when you transfer wiles among the computers. So, in 99.99% of cases, home users will not see any performance difference between 54 or 108mbps routers.

3. The botom line is...you will need a network card installed in your computer. For wired router connection, 10/100 ethernet cards is more than enough and you can buy them for 5/6 dollars. So, wired PC network cards is the most economic option, although you have to open your computer to install the card---but thats very easy for almost anyone. If you want wireless connection, your ruoter has to be a wireless router. Wireless router can handle both wired and wireless conenctions. But Wired routers can do only wired connections. So, if you decide to connect one of your computer wirelessly, make sure you buy a wireless router. Also you will need a wireless adapter. Again, Wireless adapters can be a USB adapter or a PC card. Also, choice of PC cards for your 2nd computer depends on the what type is your second computer. If it is a laptop, then you will have to go for USB adapter. Most of today's computer come with network card installed. So, summary is: PC card is cheaper, it has to be installed inside the computer. But USB adapters installation is easy. If you 2nd computer is a laptop and you dont have a network card installed already----USB adapter is your only option in most cases.

4. I'm not in a position to answer that. Many subjective considerations are involved in that decision.

5. I'm a not a tech-guy. I just described my everyday knowledge from my personal. homenetowrking experience. I enjoyed sharing my experience.

Orpheus
April 18, 2005, 08:41 AM
4) That's too much!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10358346&dcaid=168

Hope that helps.

Cricket46
April 18, 2005, 11:53 AM
Babubangla, thanks so much for your detailed response. You have explained the technicalities in a very nice and non-technical manner.

Orpheus thanks to you, too, for the link.