PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan vs India - 4th ODI

Sultan
April 11, 2005, 11:28 PM
4th Pak vs India ODI -

Match delayed by 30 mins. Damp pitch. Toss took place, and ganguly won, so he elected to bat. So lets wait till game resumes, adn see what happens.

jabbar
April 11, 2005, 11:37 PM
i don't care about this match.

al
April 11, 2005, 11:40 PM
slow track. 300 may not be easy. india is batting now.

janjua
April 12, 2005, 12:05 AM
Hi Sultan!

Is anybody showing this match by video link.......i just paid this guy money for next 3 matches but now he has dissappeard,,,,,,,,,,i guess he pulled a fast one.
So sultan .....if you have a link please email it at janjua3@hotmail.com

Spitfire_x86
April 12, 2005, 12:22 AM
Sehwag run out

India 65/1

Spitfire_x86
April 12, 2005, 12:37 AM
Sehwag's runout was very stupid. If he had only dragged his bat properly, he could easily stay there.

Dhoni started very well, already 17* with four boundaries.

Sultan
April 12, 2005, 12:48 AM
India going along very good. 99 - 1 right now.

And janjua, I don't have a video link. Try Mufta-tv.com. I would recommend that you not pay anyone online, because most of these people are frauds. You should try and check whether if the source is reliable or not first.

Edited on, April 12, 2005, 5:51 AM GMT, by Sultan.

Sultan
April 12, 2005, 06:08 AM
India scored 315 runs. Pakistan needs 316 to win.

Pakistan is batting right now. Pakistan's score is 211 - 3

Xavier
April 12, 2005, 06:31 AM
The game is very close:

India 315/6 (48 ov.)
Pakistan 244/3 (37 ov.)

India RR 6.56
Pakistan RR 6.69

Pakistan current partnership going very well
Malik-Inzaman 70 runs RR 7.12

They need 63 runs in ten overs to win!

Akib
April 12, 2005, 07:01 AM
Looks like Pakistan might win this match as Pakistan need 21 runs from 26 balls. with Inzi and Akmal still on.

Xavier
April 12, 2005, 07:17 AM
Pakistan 306/7 (46 ov.)

Need 10 runs in the last two overs!

Xavier
April 12, 2005, 07:20 AM
Last over

four runs to win!

PoorFan
April 12, 2005, 07:29 AM
What a game!!!! What a win!!! Inzi is the man!!!!!!!!

Sultan
April 12, 2005, 07:31 AM
Pakistan wins!!!!! 319 in total! Man, that was an awesome game!

Xavier
April 12, 2005, 07:32 AM
Pakistan wins with a four at the last ball by Inzaman!
Scores were level at 47.5!!!

From cricinfo:

47.6 Tendulkar to Inzamam-ul-Haq, FOUR, Inzi! Inzi! fuller length
delivery outside the off stump, driven away to the backward point
boundary, what a win!
47.5 Tendulkar to Inzamam-ul-Haq, no run, oh dear! another dot ball!
fuller in length, driven straight to the fielder at short cover,
this is unbelievable stuff! crowd goes wild
ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar having a long chat
for some reason for the last two deliveries the field has been set
to save the boundary
finally the field comes in to save the single

India 315/6
Pakistan 319/7

Akib
April 12, 2005, 07:46 AM
OMG!!! what a match. congrats to inzi for keeping his cool and staying there for the win.

Shehwar
April 12, 2005, 07:54 AM
What an amazing performance by Pakistan!! Inzi once again shows why he is regarded as one of the all-time greatest match winners in both forms of the game.......Absolutely stunning Innings by the Champion batsman......Sometimes I wonder what will happen to Pakistan after Inzi retires...cheers......

Sultan
April 12, 2005, 08:00 AM
Man... I love Inzi.. I hope he can play forever.... but that can't happen. Pakistan needs to find more smart and sensible players.

Salman Butt looks like a good future prospect, along with shoaib malik.

Shehwar
April 12, 2005, 08:05 AM
Yeah.....Salman Butt does look to have that bit of class about him......Got a long way to go though...but definitely started off his career well.......As for Inzi....I hope he plays on for atleast 5 more years.....I support Pakistan mainly becuz of him....cheers.....

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 09:29 AM
what a stunning chase that was! and what a great game overall! complete team effort from the pakistanis. this is how an india vs pakistan encounter should be.

allrounder
April 12, 2005, 10:03 AM
Ganguly banned for 6 matches !!!!!!!

This is the end for Ganguly playing for India I guess. He can retire from International Cricket now.

Fazal
April 12, 2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by allrounder

Good for Indian Team. One problem solved by itself.

What a Game ! What a Game !!

Its getting interesting.....:joy::joy::joy:

mahbubH
April 12, 2005, 10:12 AM

This is the end for Ganguly playing for India I guess. He can retire from International Cricket now.

I think this will be good for both India and Ganguly. ICC favor India as usual.

Edited on, April 12, 2005, 3:23 PM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 10:15 AM
have a look at <a href = "http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/APR/229114_INDPAK2004-05_12APR2005.html">this</a>. So hillarious :D

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 10:21 AM

do you have the link to the source?

mahbubH
April 12, 2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

do you have the link to the source?

Cricinfo, BBC

allrounder
April 12, 2005, 10:28 AM
Anyone watched the presentation? Ganguly said that Tendulkar thought Pakistan needed 2 runs to win of the last ball that is why he wanted the fielders to be spread out. haha:P:P

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 10:30 AM
yeah right...blame it on tendulkar now :P

this match was probably his worst nightmare: he made a fool of himself in every way possible :)

chyicarus
April 12, 2005, 12:52 PM
blessing in disguise for ganguly, i doubt whether the board will fight against the ban. i think it actually helps india out now that he's banned!
btw- i heard from a source that the series is fixed. Pakistan are going to win the 5thODI and then India will square the series 3-3!

Faceoff
April 12, 2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by chyicarus
i heard from a source that the series is fixed. Pakistan are going to win the 5thODI and then India will square the series 3-3!

my sources tell me india will win the 5th and the paki will level the series at 3-3;)

al
April 12, 2005, 02:18 PM
:down:

AsifTheManRahman
April 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
btw- i heard from a source that the series is fixed. Pakistan are going to win the 5thODI and then India will square the series 3-3!

haha...same outcome as the test series? "friendly" series bole kotha :lol:

Ameer
April 12, 2005, 03:21 PM
I would definetely bet on 3-3 result. India will win the next one easily and Pakistan will snatch another good win in the sixth.

Amazing allround performance by Pakistan... particularly Inzamam and Shoaib Malik. Inzamam is amazing and he always seems to stand up when Pakistan needs him.

Again, India's fault was that they rely on individual performances... not team performances.

As for Ganguly, as usual, the racist ICC and Broad are going after the brownies.

couger
April 12, 2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by faceoff
i heard from a source that the series is fixed. Pakistan are going to win the 5thODI and then India will square the series 3-3!

my sources tell me india will win the 5th and the paki will level the series at 3-3;)

OK, lets put some money in it then!!!!!!!

Fazal
April 12, 2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by couger
OK, lets put some money in it then!!!!!!!

Ok... I am putting my 10 bucks ( thats all I got in my wallet).

But to where? The safest bet is, "This was the last ODI game for Danguly"

chyicarus
April 12, 2005, 05:00 PM
I don't think calling ICC as racist in this case is justified. Ganguly has escaped far too long. Although I must admit that 6 ODIs is too much, but you have to see his record. He's been like this in Tests and ODI pretty consistently even with 2 spinners. So its really no excuse.
Also he stood up Steve Waugh during the toss several times, in the recent past.
So when something goes against us, we shouldn't generally term it racist. If the rest of the world can maintain a certain standard we should too!

Akib
April 12, 2005, 05:43 PM
The ban is very good for India and ganguly. India now hav an opening for kaif or singh or whoever they want that can score more than 10.

Also Ganguly now has some time to rest and get back into form. Although i think he might have wanted to play BD and Zim...

Tehsin
April 12, 2005, 10:29 PM
Ganguly .... Danguly .. same thing.

I've been asked to just forget him and leave him alone. Sound advice. However, i am just having such a great time watching him go down like this. He is his teams weakest link and ICC just did India a great favor by banning his sorry self.

31 runs from 4 innings, only beating Nehra (1 innings) and Kartik (did not bat) in batting. An excellent performance by the guy who questions the place of BD and Zimbabwe in test cricket when the only reason he'z still around is because.... Actually, there''s no reason for him to be around either Test or ODi cricket, is there ? This is just too good.

The matches could be fixed or could just be a great show of talent from both sides. If you are not cycinical, you'll agree that it's actually been pretty entertaining so far.

reverse_swing
April 13, 2005, 07:42 AM
End of Danguly Era! I think so if you consider ..

1. Dada will surely miss the remaining two matches against Pakistan at Kanpur on Friday and New Delhi on Sunday and four matches of a one-day tri-series against the West Indies and hosts Sri Lanka in August. It means no cricket for him before October!

2. With the current domestic season over and the next one not due to start till October, there is no opportunity for Ganguly to strike batting form before the team is picked for a Test series in Zimbabwe in September.

3. With John Wright quitting as coach next week after the Pakistan tour, India may have both a new coach and captain when they travel to Sri Lanka in August.

4. Wright's successor has not been finalised, but indications are that the widely-respected Rahul Dravid standing in for Ganguly as captain could be a permanent arrangement.

AsifTheManRahman
April 13, 2005, 11:46 AM
aww...he won't be playing us (source BBC Sport)? :(

Spitfire_x86
April 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
haire Indian media..... :(

Nobody remembers Mark Taylor. I think he didn't score a fifty in tests for equal (or longer?) period of time/number of innings, compared to Ganguly's century-less period. He was kept in the team just for his great record as captain. Somehow he did return to form without having a break from national team, and played some great knocks before retiring (including an unbeaten 334). Ganguly's contribution to Indian cricket is as great as Mark Taylor's contribution to Australia, but he gets so little in return.

al
April 13, 2005, 02:32 PM
From BBC: 2nd last pragraph says, he is still the most successful indian captain so far.

The Telegraph of Calcutta lists Ganguly's misdemeanours. The India skipper received one of the heaviest penalties ever for allowing his bowlers to consistently take too much time to bowl in one-day internationals.
But rather than inspiring street protests, as they have in the past when Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag were suspended, the Indian media is accepting.
The International Cricket Council, and English match referee Chris Broad, are usually seen as a force of evil but this time they are a force for good.
"Things could not have panned out better for Ganguly and the national selectors," says the front page of Wednesday's Times of India.
Left-hander Ganguly, who made 48 runs in five Test innings against Pakistan, has just 31 so far in the one-day series.

A six-match ban at this stage of his career could well mean the end of the road

Hindustan Times
After being run out for 18 on Tuesday, and then captaining his side to a last-ball defeat, he was booed by fans at the post-match presentation.
"In a way, it might not be such bad timing because Ganguly has been in the worst form of his life," says Bangalore's Deccan Herald.
"This enforced hiatus should give him the break he so desperately needs to regain his focus away from the probing eyes of the critics ... who have been crying for his head."

Read more:
Ganguly's declining fortunes

Even The Statesman, published in Ganguly's home town of Calcutta, asks: "A boon in the guise of a ban?"
It continues: "Sourav Ganguly's miserable run with the bat came to be halted when he was banned for six one-day internationals."
Perhaps the Ganguly family take The Telegraph in their Calcutta home instead, in which case they will have seen a photo montage of Sourav and his recent misdemeanours.
In 1998 he was suspended for a one-day match after disputing an lbw decision in a Test against Australia.
He was suspended for a single one-day match against Zimbabwe in 2000 after being found ruled guilty of showing dissent against the umpires.
He missed a one-day international in 2001 for disputing an lbw decision during a tri-series in Sri Lanka.
Five months ago, Ganguly successfully appealed against a two-Test ban, imposed because of the team's slow over rate in a one-day match against Pakistan.
Just a week ago he was fined 70% of his match fee for the team's slow over-rate in Vishakhapatnam.
And on Wednesday, the Indian cricket board was again considering making an appeal against Ganguly's suspension, which it considers harsh.
Of all India's newspapers, The Hindustan Times goes furthest, saying Tuesday's defeat could be Ganguly's last for India.

It would be a cruel blow for a batsman 51 runs away from 5,000 in Tests and 33 from 10,000 in one-day internationals, not to mention India's most successful captain ever.

India have a quiet six months, with a scheduled tour of Bangladesh yet to materialise, and a tour of Zimbabwe on the cards later in the year.
By the time he is due to return the India team could have moved on from the Sourav Ganguly era.
But if the consequences are not that harsh, he may be able to rediscover his dashing form of old.

Ameer
April 13, 2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by al
From BBC: 2nd last pragraph says, he is still the most successful indian captain so far.

The Telegraph of Calcutta lists Ganguly's misdemeanours. The India skipper received one of the heaviest penalties ever for allowing his bowlers to consistently take too much time to bowl in one-day internationals.
But rather than inspiring street protests, as they have in the past when Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag were suspended, the Indian media is accepting.
The International Cricket Council, and English match referee Chris Broad, are usually seen as a force of evil but this time they are a force for good.
"Things could not have panned out better for Ganguly and the national selectors," says the front page of Wednesday's Times of India.
Left-hander Ganguly, who made 48 runs in five Test innings against Pakistan, has just 31 so far in the one-day series.

A six-match ban at this stage of his career could well mean the end of the road

Hindustan Times
After being run out for 18 on Tuesday, and then captaining his side to a last-ball defeat, he was booed by fans at the post-match presentation.
"In a way, it might not be such bad timing because Ganguly has been in the worst form of his life," says Bangalore's Deccan Herald.
"This enforced hiatus should give him the break he so desperately needs to regain his focus away from the probing eyes of the critics ... who have been crying for his head."

Read more:
Ganguly's declining fortunes

Even The Statesman, published in Ganguly's home town of Calcutta, asks: "A boon in the guise of a ban?"
It continues: "Sourav Ganguly's miserable run with the bat came to be halted when he was banned for six one-day internationals."
Perhaps the Ganguly family take The Telegraph in their Calcutta home instead, in which case they will have seen a photo montage of Sourav and his recent misdemeanours.
In 1998 he was suspended for a one-day match after disputing an lbw decision in a Test against Australia.
He was suspended for a single one-day match against Zimbabwe in 2000 after being found ruled guilty of showing dissent against the umpires.
He missed a one-day international in 2001 for disputing an lbw decision during a tri-series in Sri Lanka.
Five months ago, Ganguly successfully appealed against a two-Test ban, imposed because of the team's slow over rate in a one-day match against Pakistan.
Just a week ago he was fined 70% of his match fee for the team's slow over-rate in Vishakhapatnam.
And on Wednesday, the Indian cricket board was again considering making an appeal against Ganguly's suspension, which it considers harsh.
Of all India's newspapers, The Hindustan Times goes furthest, saying Tuesday's defeat could be Ganguly's last for India.

It would be a cruel blow for a batsman 51 runs away from 5,000 in Tests and 33 from 10,000 in one-day internationals, not to mention India's most successful captain ever.

India have a quiet six months, with a scheduled tour of Bangladesh yet to materialise, and a tour of Zimbabwe on the cards later in the year.
By the time he is due to return the India team could have moved on from the Sourav Ganguly era.
But if the consequences are not that harsh, he may be able to rediscover his dashing form of old.

His record as captain has hardly anything to do with him. It's because he has had the likes of Sehwag, Dravid and Tendulkar carry the team.

Spitfire_x86
April 13, 2005, 05:26 PM
Azhar and Tendulkar's team was almost as strong as Ganguly's Indian team (sehwag is the main difference), but that team wasn't so successful and they couldn't even win a test outside india in 8 years.

Tintin
April 13, 2005, 05:44 PM
That is one thing. More than that, Ganguly gave us pride and self respect. This is difficult to feel and understand it unless you are on this side of the fence. Prior to 1999, India was a meek team - happy losers who were satisfied if they received praise for nice batsmanship and decent behaviour. It was under Gangu that we started giving back as good as we got on and off the field.

When Flintoff took off his shirt and waved it at the crowd after a win in Bombay, if it was another Indian captain, he would have looked the other way. It took someone with the guts of Ganguly to do the return the favour to the Englishmen at Lord's. Boorish ? Not for us. (Imagine Flintoff doing it in Dhaka and Bashar doing the same after winning at Lord's, and how the people in this board will react :) )

Or how he beat Steve Waugh at his own game in 2001. SW was supposedly the ice man, the master of 'mental disintegration'. But by the end of the series it was Waugh who finally blinked and lost his temper.

The wins that came our way was a byproduct of this change in attitude and self esteem. It would be one or two cricketing generations before India will see another captain like him.

Rubayed
April 13, 2005, 08:15 PM
I agree with Tintin and Spitfire_x86. Its true that lately he hasnt been playing well but its very harsh and unfair to overlook what he did for Indian Cricket as a captain. He changed India from a oneman(Sachin) team to a fighting team.

Ameer
April 13, 2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Rubayed
I agree with Tintin and Spitfire_x86. Its true that lately he hasnt been playing well but its very harsh and unfair to overlook what he did for Indian Cricket as a captain. He changed India from a oneman(Sachin) team to a fighting team.

By that logic that it's no longer a one man team (Sachin)... it's a two man team, Sehwag and Dravid. I don't know what's with Ganguly but he'll bounce back. This slump is similar to Inzamam's. Inzamam ended that slump playing a great innings against Bangladesh. Maybe that's what Ganguly needs... play a weaker team and get some runs.

Rubayed
April 14, 2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Ameer
By that logic that it's no longer a one man team (Sachin)... it's a two man team, Sehwag and Dravid.

There was a time when opponents felt that getting the wicket of Sachin was as good as winning the game but things r quite different now. Its not as simple as it was b4. I dont quite agree with u. Its only recently Indian team is looking like a team depended on Sehwag and Dravid but if u look back few years, where all of thier batsmen were capable of winning them a match, be it Sachin, Sehwag, Dravid, Ganguly, Kaif, Yuvraj or even Laxman for a while. Ganguly also backed young players in the team which no other indian captains did as well as him. So the man deserves lot of credit for being a brave captain and getting all the success abroad, especially in Australia, which no other indian captains could get.

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 7:15 AM GMT, by Rubayed.
Reason: Typo

Shehwar
April 14, 2005, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Tintin
That is one thing. More than that, Ganguly gave us pride and self respect.....
........It was under Gangu that we started giving back as good as we got on and off the field......

Interesting.....are u Indian bro ?.....

Spitfire_x86
April 14, 2005, 05:52 AM
Interesting.....are u Indian bro ?.....
Yeah, Tintin is Indian.

Ganguly wasn't in so bad shape when the series started. Clearly he wasn't at his best (like Tendulkar), but after failing in the two innings of the 1st test, Indian media went only after him (maybe because they were too angry for not winning the test) and increased pressure on him after every innings. He wasn't very lucky and now we're seeing the result.....

For this whole thing, I can only blame Indian media.

Ahmed_B
April 14, 2005, 06:00 AM
Anybody considering that India's recent succes has more to do with John Wright than the 'Legendary Captain' ?

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 6:11 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Reason: typo

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2005, 10:52 AM
you mean pakistan's?

Shafiul
April 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
The ODI series will be a tie, I bet.

Rubayed
April 14, 2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Anybody considering that India's recent succes has more to do with Bob Woolmer than the 'Legendary Captain' ?

I'm confused! I dont get u! Did u mean to say John Wright instead of Bob Woolmer or Pakistan instead of India?

Ahmed_B
April 14, 2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Rubayed
I'm confused! I dont get u! Did u mean to say John Wright instead of Bob Woolmer or Pakistan instead of India?
RIGHT!!

Meant to say John Wright..... sorry!
Corrected now..
:)

Rubayed
April 14, 2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Anybody considering that India's recent succes has more to do with John Wright than the 'Legendary Captain' ?
[/i]

A bit of both. They both played important roles in India's success, it will be unfair to give all the credit to John Wright or vice versa.