PDA

View Full Version : Momenuddin the kid?

oracle
April 13, 2005, 02:18 PM
DS_Sports (http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/04/14/d50414041233.htm)

from DS-

"........In the under-13 competition, Momenuddin cracked a 36-ball 101 not out as Loreto piled up 333-9 on way to a massive 180-run win over Udayan School (153) at the Mirpur Outer Stadium."

Mr-khan
April 13, 2005, 02:23 PM
Great!! No more Afridi;)

rana
April 13, 2005, 05:47 PM
is it true? if its true then great:great:

Samir
April 13, 2005, 06:50 PM
Looks like afrid in the making......

dukha
April 13, 2005, 06:52 PM
Oh no , we don't want any more Afridi ............

Rubayed
April 13, 2005, 08:07 PM
Ironically I knew a guy who once scored a 40+ ball hundred playing for Udayan in Nirman and he didnt even end up playing 2nd division. Guys! its just school cricket!! So calm down!! As much as some of u might hate Afridi but the truth is that Bangladesh cricket team should feel very lucky to find someone like Afridi who is arguably a better allrounder than any BD allrounders.

jeesh
April 13, 2005, 10:13 PM
Well maybe we dont need Afridis but we need a few more natuaral stroke makers for our ODI side. By this i also mean stroke makers who can hit the ball to the distance.

cricket_pagla
April 14, 2005, 12:41 AM
good news.. but this is 2 early 2 say anything!

Sham
April 14, 2005, 06:05 AM
I'm surprised some people arent asking for this kid to be sent to England!

The kid must have played a pretty good innings but there is absolutely nothing you can say about it, not even that it is promising. At that age, even a one year age advantage is a huge thing. For example, in school, class 5 alway beat class 4, class 4 always beat class 3 and so on. This kid is probably 14 or so and hit some 12 year bowlers out of the park! Big deal!!

Edited on, April 14, 2005, 11:06 AM GMT, by Sham.

pagol-chagol
April 14, 2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Sham

The kid must have played a pretty good innings but there is absolutely nothing you can say about it, not even that it is promising. At that age, even a one year age advantage is a huge thing. For example, in school, class 5 alway beat class 4, class 4 always beat class 3 and so on. This kid is probably 14 or so and hit some 12 year bowlers out of the park! Big deal!!

I once scored 501 runs at age 8 playing against myself, throwing the ball to a wall and then batting against it. I was also the scorer and the umpire. No witnesses or videos available. Shuld I be called the next Brian Lara.:karate:

akabir77
April 14, 2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by pagol-chagol

I once scored 501 runs at age 8 playing against myself, throwing the ball to a wall and then batting against it. I was also the scorer and the umpire. No witnesses or videos available. Shuld I be called the next Brian Lara.:karate:

No u should be called exactly what your nick is:lol:

akabir77
April 14, 2005, 10:55 AM

Thats not always true we were school champ from class 8. We have beat class 9 and 10 and beacme hattrick champs of the school when we won again in class 10. and the record is still holding....

pagol-chagol
April 14, 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by akabir77
Originally posted by pagol-chagol

No u should be called exactly what your nick is:lol:

Hey- show me a 8 year old kid with that much dedication to batting. Do you know how much fielding that required? :P

Fazal
April 14, 2005, 12:06 PM
hey ...this kind of news gives us hope, even if its 'false hope' atleast more hope of future than some comeback hope of multiple recycled national rejects.

we don't know if this kid will be another Ash (which is unlikely) or just another nobody in future(which is more likely
) .

So why not recognize this kid's success and give him a benefit of doubt with open mind and may be may be somthing miracle happen in future.... you never know!

Whats wrong with that :-/

Do we need to rip his off ( I mean reap his success) right now instead of praising his success (how small it may be) ?:-/

al
April 14, 2005, 12:19 PM
great potential but too early to give too much attention although he definitely deserves lots of encouragement

pagol-chagol
April 14, 2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
hey ...this kind of news gives us hope, even if its 'false hope' atleast more hope of future than some comeback hope of multiple recycled national rejects.

we don't know if this kid will be another Ash (which is unlikely) or just another nobody in future(which is more likely
) .

So why not recognize this kid's success and give him a benefit of doubt with open mind and may be may be somthing miracle happen in future.... you never know!

Whats wrong with that :-/

Do we need to rip his off ( I mean reap his success) right now instead of praising his success (how small it may be) ?:-/

Giving him recognition in local paper - 3 Taka.
Giving him a thread in Banglacricket - 1,000 Taka.
Making that thread this long - 10,000 Taka.
Comparing him to Afridi Already. PRICELESS.

RazabQ
April 14, 2005, 12:29 PM
folks, we need to be a little more tolerant. We don't have to jump on every thread even if we feel the value might be minimal. If you don't like the content - move on. I for one think it's ok news - SL is all about school cricket - they haven't done too shabbily.

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2005, 12:56 PM
what i find most hopeful from the contents of this thread is that they've started playing U-13's at the school level. i didn't know they did that (or is it a recent addition?). this is a good step since kids will start playing competitive cricket at the age of 12/13, which will improve the overall quality of cricket played, and enable us to choose from a larger pool of quality cricketers in the future.

mahbubH
April 14, 2005, 01:21 PM
I read another guy named Asif from Mapel Leaf scored three consecutive centuries in U13 school cricket this year. Hope to hear about him lot in future.

what i find most hopeful from the contents of this thread is that they've started playing U-13's at the school level.

This year BCB started school cricket in new format. They divided Dhaka metro in 4 zones. After preliminry round, a team will be selected for each zone based on the performance of the preliminary round. In the second round, four zones will play each other. So at the end you will know which zone is champion in Dhaka metro NOT which school.

Sham
April 14, 2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by akabir77

Thats not always true we were school champ from class 8. We have beat class 9 and 10 and beacme hattrick champs of the school when we won again in class 10. and the record is still holding....

Yes, when you grow older, the difference between the classes diminish fast. I mean, surely, a team of 22 year olds aren't expected to be better than a team of 21 year olds. But a team of 10 year olds will usually beat a team of 9 year olds. So yeah, once you get up to class 8 or 9, the difference isn't that much, but when you are in class 4 or 5, it makes a difference!!

Sham
April 14, 2005, 01:38 PM
In any case, I'm not knocking this kid. He might be the next Ash, who knows? But there is good sense in putting his one innings in perspective!

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
This year BCB started school cricket in new format. They divided Dhaka metro in 4 zones. After preliminry round, a team will be selected for each zone based on the performance of the preliminary round. In the second round, four zones will play each other. So at the end you will know which zone is champion in Dhaka metro NOT which school.

this is great. choosing four teams based on performances of the preliminary round, and then making them play each other. the next step will be to take this beyond dhaka and apply the same technique to the rest of the divisions as well, and finally come up with a top 40 or so from the whole country, and make an U-16 HPU for them, which will run as long as it's worth investing in them.

aosaif
April 14, 2005, 01:59 PM
Honestly, doesn't matter coz he scored it in school cricket. What I'm pissed off about is that so many of you are afridi haters. Just look at what he's done on the Indian tour! Vital in Pakistan's success so far.

Hasib
April 14, 2005, 07:05 PM
has anyone here thought of the fact that the bowling could have been pathatic?!!! now THATS a worry!!!