PDA

View Full Version : 18 Feb 2003 - BAN vs WI - WC2003 - ODI

deshitrader
February 18, 2003, 02:23 AM
BD vs. WI--Poor Weather at Benoni

According to a Carribean Radio station, a reporter live at Benoni reports that though the scheduled start is 35 minutes away, that is unlikely. It is drizzling, there has been lots of overnight rain, and we would have to be very lucky to get in a full length game.

Edited on, May 9, 2005, 12:52 PM GMT, by radicalsami.

Piranha
February 18, 2003, 02:33 AM
sigh!

I hope it doesn't get washed out. A reduced overs match may not be such a bad things.
Of course you should expect that the BD batsmen will somehow become all out well before the last over of the reduced match occurs.

Sham
February 18, 2003, 02:44 AM
claims that Bangladesh has won the toss and decided to field first. They also show an unchanged XI from the first two matches, which is obviously wrong, because Masri is definitely out!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 02:49 AM
on the other hand says that Tushar, Sujon and Talha will replace Hannan (thank God), Masri and Tapash.

deshitrader
February 18, 2003, 03:01 AM
pitch moist.
manju's first over looks good so far.
no wickets though.
khaled mashud can be heard urging him on.

James90
February 18, 2003, 03:07 AM
Good on you deshitrader i can't even get commentary on cricinfo let alone actually watch the game....thx

Sham
February 18, 2003, 03:07 AM
Deshitrader, are you getting live audio somewhere?

Piranha
February 18, 2003, 03:10 AM
we have given away 10 runs in 1.3 overs already...8 of them in extras!!!!!(thats what cricketnext.com tells me)...this sounds crazy

deshitrader
February 18, 2003, 03:15 AM
hi guys---yes, i'm getting a very bad feed from homeviewbangladesh.

talha's first over was very poor. 3 no-balls, 2 wides. 7 runs given away total.
talha generally looking rusty.

i understand a better audio feed is available from http://www.caribsurf.com
click on cbc radio 900 link 3/4 of way down page.

Piranha
February 18, 2003, 03:18 AM
14/0 after 3...12 runs in extras. Talha will give away all the runs in extras!!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 03:22 AM
For a duck! YAAAAAAAAY!!

James90
February 18, 2003, 03:27 AM
You bloody ripper

deshitrader
February 18, 2003, 03:27 AM
Yes, Manju takes wicket.
But no one else seems to be able to bowl properly. Masri's injury is beginning to look expensive.

Piranha
February 18, 2003, 03:31 AM
who ever is around, please come to chat. Me and pompous are around.

deshitrader
February 18, 2003, 03:41 AM
Hinds out.
Khaled Mahmud strikes.
WI 40-2.
COME ON GUYS!!! KEEP UP THE PRESSURE!!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 03:44 AM
YESS!! This is a dream start for BD. But we have to keep the pressure up. Lara is looking menacing. We need to get him!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 04:14 AM
After 17 overs, WI are 72 for 2 with Lara and Chanderpaul batting.

deshitrader
February 18, 2003, 04:22 AM
Lara & Chanderpaul can really settle down if someone doesn't think about breaking this partnership soon. I think breaking this partnership will be key. You cannot contain the runs unless you take the wickets.

Sham
February 18, 2003, 05:13 AM
ROKON took a blinder to get Lara off Seezan. Seezan has taken two wickets now! Brilliant stuff by him!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 05:21 AM
At the second drinks break, WI are 135 for 4 in 34 overs. Sarwan and Hooper batting. Seezan has been the pick of the bowlers, taking 2 for 33 in 9 overs.

Sham
February 18, 2003, 05:38 AM
Caught and bowled by SUJON! This is getting better by the minute. WI now 158 for 5!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 06:29 AM
We gave away 20 more than we should have, and the extras surely did not help. However, we kept the WI to under 250 and I am very happy about that. Powell undid a lot of our good work early on, but had we allowed the WI to get off to a flier and then Powell scored 50 off 31, things would have been much worse! So 245 for us to chase. I don't care how much we score, I just hope we bat 50 overs!

samia
February 18, 2003, 06:39 AM
im afraid to comment on BD's performance before the match ends but i must say that their bowling was really good and alok kapali did a good job...

Cricket46
February 18, 2003, 06:49 AM
Very good effort by our bowlers. Can the batsmen score 200 and save us further humiliation? Anything more would be a bonus. Oh God please let us not be a matter of ridicule again!

To the batsmen: PLEASE PLAY 50 OVERS!

Sham
February 18, 2003, 07:25 AM
Thats all I am hoping for. Play out 50 overs!

Cricket46
February 18, 2003, 07:30 AM
Although 7/0 in 3 overs. Very shaky start. Both batsmen were nearly gone to edges. Ehsanul was clearly dropped off the first ball of Drakes. God help us!

Cricket46
February 18, 2003, 07:32 AM
7/0 after 3 overs. But both batsmen were nearly gone to edges. Ehsanul was clearly dropped off the first ball of Drakes. God help us!

cluster11
February 18, 2003, 08:11 AM
Both openers are back in pavilion as we stumbled on 19/2. But Ashraful looks pretty confident, hitting Drakes for a 4 and 3 in successive balls. Rain has sopped play few minutes ago with Bangladesh at 32/2 after 8.1 overs. West Indies definitely did not want rain as their captain Lara said during half-time. Even if it doesnt get washed out, there 2 strike bowlers will have very few overs left to bowl under Duckworth-Lewis rule. BD will also have a shoter target 'cause Windies made less than 250. We have to keep wickets in hand and I am hoping for a loss by less than 50 runs.

Tehsin
February 18, 2003, 08:14 AM
D/L method might come into effect.

Apparantly, the last two performances have not inspired our batsmen to learn from their mistakes. Both the openers had THREE clear lives between them before finally perishing. West Indies bowlers are getting good bounce and worrying swing from the wicket but that does not hide the fact that our batsmen were playing reckless shots at both ends.

Ash looked positive, a little cocky but hey, if he can score few more boundaries, he can be as cocky as he wants, Sanwar looks shaky but better then the top two. Both Drakes and Dillon look extremely in love with the wicket. Good wicket to bowl on, if we can see them through and not get too excited against Collymore, we have a good shot at posting a good reply. A loss within 50-60 runs is high in my book after the first two debacles.

IF D/L comes in, the match can go either way depending on how far we have to go from here. Wish cricinfo had a chart reayd for us to get an idea of where we need to go.

Tehsin
February 18, 2003, 08:25 AM
Too many bad balls by Manju and Talha. I do understand that Powell will hit the balls no matter who bowls at him but no reason helping him with those lose balls.

Talha is young but that does not excuse the no balls and the wides. Manju is even worse considering the years of experience he has had.

As for Kapali, would have brought him in around the 35-40 overs since our slowers bowlers were doing such a good ball and Talha wasn't looking comfortable.

Great job by Ehsan and I think Sanwar/Kapali could have done Rafique's job. Sujon's experience showed in his bowling.

Kapali made a big contribution by removing Hooper before the slog overs. Otherwise, WI was heading for 270+. Good decision by Pilot to take Talha off after the expensive overs.

Overall, if we were lucky and had removed Powell right away, we could have had WI all out for 210.

Again, how come Ehsanul doesn't bowl that often ? His bowling is FAR better then his batting. AS for all the TALENT that Rokon holds, is he planning to display any sign of that anytime soon ? Tired of reading about their AMAROTTO in the papers where they only turn out to be paper tigers on TV.

fwullah
February 18, 2003, 09:41 AM
Talha has been out of bowling in a match for a long time - the last time that he had the ball in his hands in the practice matches consistently was during the first 3 or may be 4 games in Namibia.

If fielders had shown what they are capable of like today against Canada, then we would not have to get such a big total to chase (yes 181 is a huge total) in the first game.

So, I am not flattered by the bowling and fielding of the slow bowlers today. And that including Mashrafee - the way everybody has been praising about him - he should have taken at least 4 wickets if not 5 vs Canada. So in a way this is good for Bangladesh that Mashrafee was injured because even though he has the pace and bounce - but it is only for first 3 to 5 overs. Then it is all in-swingers for him.

West Indies had dropped 3 catches - 1 of Rokon and 2 of Seejan.

Seejan was not going after every ball that he faced - he definitely has his weakness - BIG weakness against fast bowling, for which he gave away his wicket 3 times - all because of his bad technique.

But what did Rokon do on the other end? He tried to get out of the pressure and really got out of the pressure BY GETTING OUT. The catch that he gave to Carl Hooper was not a technical weakness for him - he just does not have the temperament.

I think if Rokon had played for any other country, then he would have never got the chance to play for more than 20 matches as he did for Bangladesh.

DOORBIN
February 18, 2003, 12:57 PM
What's happening with the rain? Anyone knows?

nm0598
February 18, 2003, 03:18 PM
the way manju was bowlin againt WI at the end was extremely bad. i was not surprised to see that with his worst shots WI's batsman dillon was able to hit a 6 and a 4. it was truely dissapointment to watch that. thats all i got to say. plus i think he is a no good player at all. Bd should defenitely get rid of him.:)

nm0598
February 18, 2003, 03:23 PM
overall the game with WI i was really impressed with Bd fielding they were getting stopping the ball right and was tjrowing it very well back to the wicket keeper. the only person who made me real mad was kapali he was not fielding so well at all.. because of him we had a good couple of 4 given away. anywayz. but BD team gave an excellent performance til talha gave away 17 runs in one over( i still don't blame him that much cause he is young and not very well experienced. thats why ) but manju had no exception. but overall it was very good game to watch.

Sham
February 18, 2003, 08:21 PM
Monju has been our most consistent bowler since the last world cup. The sad thing is, he doesn't have the pace. But he is the only BD pacer who bowls within his limitations and usually does a decent job. All the other idiots try to blast the opposition off the pitch. But yeah, Monju needs to improve his bowling at the death. He needs to learn to bowl those toe crushing yorkers. However, lets not forget, Powell hit 41 off 18 balls against South Africa in the first match of the world cup, so 50 off 31 is not that bad. I surely wouldn't drop him because Powell hit him for a few sixes.

rafiq
February 18, 2003, 09:32 PM
kapali did poorly because of those 2 fours? did you see him diving full length at them - he would have done poorly had he just stood there and watched. he is like our johnty rhodes in the covers, did you see him over the rest of the game?

manju needs to bowl yorkers at the end, that is for sure. talha needs to adjust his run up to avoid no balls. pilot needs to walk over to a talha in the middle of the over if there are a lot of wides, etc. the list goes on....

i was really skeptical of sujon but was pleased by his performance with the ball. and if ehsnul can vary his deliveries, can he teach the others to do the same?

Piranha
February 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Its hurts me to say this, but overall, the match went quite well. All I had asked for was that we did not get humiliated. We didn't do that badly, so I am happy to take such a result.

Now all I ask is that we show some improvement for the next match...

Tehsin
February 19, 2003, 10:19 PM
Kapali did poorly because of his habit to take his eyes off the ball. Jumpings great, shows the right attitude, just hope that he does not break his bones flying all over the ball.

His bowling was a key, he should have been used around the 35-45 overs. He is a very composed player and stood apart from the rest with those two crucial overs.