PDA

View Full Version : A tip to BD batsmen

BangladeshFan
April 16, 2005, 06:41 AM
I think the main reason of worry for bd batsmen in england will be their adaptability to those conditions.

2 openers: nafis is ok but i wonder whether javed will be figured out too quickly. even though people think javed is solid because he scores slowly but if u go through his career u will see he has very few good scores against quality opposition. thats why i would have liked to see the other left handed nafis in action. i think the best idea would be to play all of them in practice matches and see who bats well there.

4 middle order batsmen: bashar, aftab, ashraful and rajin. rajin has the best technique, aftab is not far either. they have to bring out all their expertise inthose conditions.

tip: one of the batsmen who played so well in english conditions is rahul dravid. his average playing for india against england and even when he played county cricket is amazing. i think its a good idea for bd batsmen to watch videos of dravid innings and his technique closely.

Navarene
April 16, 2005, 07:09 AM
A good idea to send Shahriar Nafis to open with Nafis. This way there will a left-right combination in our opening slots. But is lefty Nafis able to cope with the heat to play against a strong opponent like England in his debu? That is the question. I think the think tank should put Javed Omar to side bench and gamble with Shahriar Nafis. If he clicks we will suppose to have a good left-right opening partners in coming future.

Sham
April 16, 2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by BangladeshFan
I think the main reason of worry for bd batsmen in england will be their adaptability to those conditions.

2 openers: nafis is ok but i wonder whether javed will be figured out too quickly. even though people think javed is solid because he scores slowly but if u go through his career u will see he has very few good scores against quality opposition. thats why i would have liked to see the other left handed nafis in action. i think the best idea would be to play all of them in practice matches and see who bats well there.

4 middle order batsmen: bashar, aftab, ashraful and rajin. rajin has the best technique, aftab is not far either. they have to bring out all their expertise inthose conditions.

tip: one of the batsmen who played so well in english conditions is rahul dravid. his average playing for india against england and even when he played county cricket is amazing. i think its a good idea for bd batsmen to watch videos of dravid innings and his technique closely.

I don't agree that Rajin has the best technique. He may look the most solid in defence, making people think that he has the best technique, but Ashraful has the best technique by far. The way his head stays still, his body weight shifts to either foot, his back-lift and follow through, its a complete package. Rajin is not bad either, and neither are Nafis and Aftab's techniques, but none of them are as good as Ashraful technically!

As for the Shahriar Nafis argument, I agree. Take him to England, give him a couple of practice games, and if he suggests that he might cope, stick him in there. He can't do any worse than what I expect Golla to do, so its not a big gamble from the team's point of view.

dukha
April 16, 2005, 01:40 PM
Shahriar Nafees won't be playing at the first test i guess . Javed Omar is the first choice if he fails then Shahriar Nafees might play the next one . They have have Shahdat Hossain as on debut . BCB not gonna take a chance to debut 2 players in one test but on the other hand that would be Golla's last chance to show something ........ Golla is over aharey bechara ......... First test in England if he doesn't score his career will end up ........Good Luck "Golla" . we have to have 1-1 in England mate so try to get that result ,ok ...........First Test win in Overseas and how good feelings if it's in Lords .............. What else the world Bangladeshi cricket fans want in their life ? Nothing at all ....... Can the players of our team bring us the Victory please try your best like do or die we can do it , people did it before too .

Edited on, April 16, 2005, 6:46 PM GMT, by dukha.

shaoun
April 16, 2005, 09:42 PM
winning in england should be out of the question. we beat zimbabwe at our own home. england is much stronger then zimbabwe. and we will be playing in english condition something we are not very use to. winning shouldnt be in the mind of bangladesh fans. we almost won against pakistan because in that match we played good and pakistan played bad. also pakistan didnt have their full strength team. and pakistan condition is similar to bangladesh condition. i dont think we can expect any upset in england from our team specially in test. avoiding innins defeat and taking the match to teh 5th day should be our expectation. anything more then that should be extra. anything more then that we should not expect from our team.

sadi
April 16, 2005, 09:54 PM
playing shahriar nafees sounds good to me....i mean he needs to play quality opposition sooner or later.... so why not now....he cant miss the chance.... same thing goes with rajib.... golla should be there in case someone gets injured...but i dun think he is good enough anymore... we should move on.....

capslock
April 17, 2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Navarene
A good idea to send Shahriar Nafis to open with Nafis. This way there will a left-right combination in our opening slots. But is lefty Nafis able to cope with the heat to play against a strong opponent like England in his debu? That is the question. I think the think tank should put Javed Omar to side bench and gamble with Shahriar Nafis. If he clicks we will suppose to have a good left-right opening partners in coming future.

Uh, heat? In England?

Spitfire_x86
April 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
I think he meant "mental pressure", not temperature.

Navarene
April 17, 2005, 12:18 PM
Uh, heat? In England?
Oh yess..it is! You can feel the heat when Harmison uproots your middle stump or Hoggard traps you with a thick edge behind the wicket. There are lotsa heat and sweat waiting in England for our boys, my friend.

AsifTheManRahman
April 18, 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sham
I don't agree that Rajin has the best technique. He may look the most solid in defence, making people think that he has the best technique, but Ashraful has the best technique by far. The way his head stays still, his body weight shifts to either foot, his back-lift and follow through, its a complete package. Rajin is not bad either, and neither are Nafis and Aftab's techniques, but none of them are as good as Ashraful technically!

As for the Shahriar Nafis argument, I agree. Take him to England, give him a couple of practice games, and if he suggests that he might cope, stick him in there. He can't do any worse than what I expect Golla to do, so its not a big gamble from the team's point of view.

i agree that ashraful is probably the most technically sound among them. rajin's defence is good and solid, but that doesn't really imply that he has the best technique.

as for the shahriar issue, i agree it wouldn't be a big gamble from the team's point of view. however, one has got to think about the guy himself too. he's young and talented and the last thing anyone would want to do is break his confidence. i say we keep him as lender of last resort - play him in the practice matches and if he does well and javed does badly in the first test, bring him in. if, however, javed does ok, i think we should keep him and probably cap the young lefty in the odi's, which will be less stressful than the tests (although we'll be facing australia).

cricket_pagla
April 18, 2005, 12:28 PM
Mashrafee + Tapash as opening batsman.. (i'm just kidding).. I think.. we've 2 atleast play positive, keep batsman head cool.. and bowlers should put line-length right... ( i know this thread not about bowlers tip).. if we keep strategy like this.. we can play some gud cricket..
1st 15 overs --> 70-80 by 1-2 wickets
2nd 20 overs --> 80-90 by 1-2 wickts
3rd 15 overs --> 100+ ...
:fanflag:

Carte Blanche
April 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
Shahriar Nafees toured the British Isles with the U-19 under Mcinnes last year. Of course those weren't test standard games, but at least he is no alien to the conditions there. I don't think it is a gamble at all to push him up to the opening slot. First let us see how he fares in the practice games though.