PDA

View Full Version : New Front Page Article: The Raft that is Dav (by G.M Bashar)

Zunaid
April 16, 2005, 09:40 AM
The Raft that is Dav (by G.M Bashar)

Two summers will soon have passed. And Dav Whatmore will still be at the helm. And despite crashing losses, humiliating setbacks and unconvincing statistics that do not point to remarkable improvements - it is business as usual. Yet again Bangladesh tunes up for another away tour with renewed resolve. It’s this resolve that has been the hallmark of Dav’s “Team Bangladesh” and a true testimony of the psychological impact of his presence. For now, Dav is still the raft.

>> more << (http://banglacricket.com/html/article.php?year=2005&item=309)

Edited on, April 16, 2005, 2:56 PM GMT, by Zunaid.

Optimist
April 16, 2005, 10:54 AM
Whatmore dsreves the accolade. Good job Oracle! IMHO Bangladesh and SL are two completely different propositions. Even the current Bangladesh team (after spending two years with whatmore) lags far behind the pre-whatmore SL. Our infrastructure needs a huge uplift before we become competetive with other test teams. Whatmore is doing an excellent job with the very limited resoueces (in terms of quality of products that our infrastructure can produce).

We were really fortunate to have Whatmore and McIness as our national and development coaches at a very crucial juncture of our cricket development. I can't think of any other combination that could have brought better results. I'm sure we will reap rich harvest from the work that McInness has put in. Some one should write an article on McIness's contribution to our cricket.

Edited on, April 16, 2005, 3:56 PM GMT, by Optimist.

pagol-chagol
April 16, 2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Optimist
Some one should write an article on McIness's contribution to our cricket.

Edited on, April 16, 2005, 3:56 PM GMT, by Optimist.

I second that.

RazabQ
April 17, 2005, 02:14 AM
I confess I don't find the idea of a pinch hitter in England that appealing. If you recall, SL in their defense of the title found that the Jaya & Kalu approach wouldn't work in the bowler friendly English summer. The new ball darts around and swings like a yo-yo. You are better off having two solid technicians open - batsmen who are adept at playing in the V, are good at leaving balls based on line _AND_ bounce and seeing off the 1st 10-12 overs.

Go back to Lancashire's opening pair during 97-99 - Whatmore's tenure. Despite having a clean hitter like Flintoff and aggressive England opener Neil Fairbrother in the team, the most regular openeing pair for List A limited over matches during that time was Athers and Mike Watkinson.

In fairness to Oracle, Flintoff _was_ tried a few times - with mostly single digit scores. So as far as strategies go, at most I foresee Ash opening a few times like he did in the last WC. But I would expect Rajin & Nafis to open at least the 1st three match.

Of course a specific type of match situation - say a DL shortened game - could result in some radical reshuffling of the order, but that would be a one-off; not a consistent startategy.