PDA

View Full Version : what a cry baby! English Ashes hopes rest on this guy???

RazabQ
April 17, 2005, 01:48 AM
Harmy goes Wa wa again on Cricinfo (http://plus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/APR/233640_ENG_16APR2005.html)

Read yet another piece on Steve Harmison's homesickness? Now can you imagine McGrath ever blathering like this fool? That's why Glenn has 499 wickets and this next great English hype will not have his name last beyond this generation.

oracle
April 17, 2005, 05:20 AM
Independent (http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/story.jsp?story=629804)
full interview attached.

Harmison is a doting father, and watching him at home playing with his children it was difficult to comprehend the type of fear he can put into grown men when he has a small red leather object in his right hand.

I must be allergic to me passport

It's the age of aquarius. He is comfortable expressing his softer side unlike his Australian counterparts. Stop bullying "me" Harmy.:)

Edited on, April 17, 2005, 10:30 AM GMT, by oracle.

mwrkhan
April 17, 2005, 05:41 AM
What would Fred Trueman or Geoff Boycott say of this fine example of Yorkshire manhood?

Edited on, April 17, 2005, 10:41 AM GMT, by mwrkhan.

Sham
April 17, 2005, 06:55 PM
Harmison is not from Yorkshire is he? He plays for Durham (not far from Yorkshire), don't know where he was born or brought up!

Akib
April 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
Harmison was born in Ashington, Northumberland. Ashington has nothing to do with Yorkshire though. The place were he was born is closer to the county of Durham than the former county of Yorkshire.

Also of note he has never played for Yorkshire

mwrkhan
April 17, 2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Harmison is not from Yorkshire is he? He plays for Durham (not far from Yorkshire), don't know where he was born or brought up!

Well, he's from the north anyway. Ashington (where he was born, brought up and continues to live) is presently in Northumberland. However, county lines have been redrawn over the years and they are not quite the same as the original first class counties.

BTW didn't Durham only start to play first class county cricket very recently (10 years or so?). Who knows, in another era Harmy may have ended up playing for Yorkshire.

I would think Freddy and Boycs would have a rather dim view of Harmy's mental strength.

Akib
April 17, 2005, 07:26 PM
Yes Durham got its first class status in 1991, 14 years ago.. You are right mwrkhan , if it didnt get that status he would probably play for Yorkshire... Of course he could move to and sign for any other county he likes.... although he may be too homesick to do so.

Rubayed
April 18, 2005, 12:04 AM
McGrath is a great bowler but that doesnt mean that Harmison has to act like him off the field just to be as good as McGrath. He is no way near as good as McGrath yet and dont know whether he will ever be as good as McGrath but face it guys,he is still a very good bowler!

Shehwar
April 18, 2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah...the off field acts should not be the criteria of judging a players ability....We all know that Harmy is no where near The great Australian seamer at the moment.....but who knowz what might happen in another 6-7 years......He has the height and pace to go with his attitude.....

RazabQ
April 18, 2005, 11:58 AM
here's the argumen: top bowlers have to be very singleminded: "Batsmen, I'm going to get you! Full Stop. Nothing else matters. Read or watch or listen to any interview of Imran, Lillee, Roberts, McGrath, and other greats - they were tough guys on _and_ off the field. Asides from Harry Larwood, I can't think of any other "gentle giants" in the annals of fast bowling.

Harmision - in spite of his talents - will never be anything than a flash in the pan - and I will say this even if he destroys us. As long as England is relying on softies like him, Ozs will own em.

Of course a 25+ wicket haul in the coming Ashes series could change my mind.

Rubayed
April 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
This is a ridiculous point!! I dont understand why a great fast bowler must be a tough guy? Wasnt Courtney Walsh a good bowler and also a Gentleman??? He was definitely not known as a tough guy.

Carte Blanche
April 18, 2005, 12:53 PM
How much Harmison misses being at home with his wife and two young daughters struck me on the night England clinched the Test series in South Africa. At the conclusion of the fifth Test he was sent to hospital to have a further scan on his injured calf. Andrew Flintoff and Robert Key - his two best mates - were returning to England and Harmison was hoping the scan would reveal an injury that allowed him to join them. It didn't, and he had no option but to stay for the seven one-dayers which followed.

While his team-mates celebrated Harmison just stood at the hotel bar with a face like thunder. Mischievously, and knowing he was staying, Flintoff and I sarcastically congratulated him passing his fitness test. He was not amused. I will not repeat what the big-fella said but it was along the lines of: "Go away you two or I will be forced to thump you very hard." Harmison had no intention of carrying out his threat but he was close to tears.

Awwww

AsifTheManRahman
April 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
he needed a hug, didn't he?

this is what scares me:

With his confidence high and bowling action ticking like a Rolex Harmison is a fearsome proposition. He can bowl with breathtaking pace and extract steep bounce from the most benign of pitches. Batting against him becomes a nightmare. It is not only your wicket that you are trying to keep intact. Ribs, fingers, arms, head, the family jewels - they all feel as vulnerable as the three stumps a yard behind you.

and this:

The real problem appears to be leaving English shores: the pains in his stomach, and the lump in his throat, do not appear when he is travelling around England

add the two up, and be prepared to face hell in England this summer.

i think the guy <i>is</i> sick. the way he suffocated on a trip to Paris (a couple of hours away from home) although he had his family with him leads me to believe that he needs to see a psychiatrist.

btw - Ladies and Gentlemen, may I take this opportunity to draw your attention to the last sentence of the article. Anyone up for a Harmy bash? :)

RazabQ
April 18, 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Rubayed
Wasnt Courtney Walsh a good bowler and also a Gentleman??? You said it yourself. He was a "good" bowler, who thru hard-work, dedication and a flukey avoidance of any serious injuries in his career, became a leading wicket taker in Test cricket. But surely you would not call him a "Great". The names I mentioned were :)

couger
April 18, 2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by razabq
here's the argumen: top bowlers have to be very singleminded: "Batsmen, I'm going to get you! Full Stop. Nothing else matters. Read or watch or listen to any interview of Imran, Lillee, Roberts, McGrath, and other greats - they were tough guys on _and_ off the field. Asides from Harry Larwood, I can't think of any other "gentle giants" in the annals of fast bowling.

Add to this Marshall, Garner, Holding, Hadlee. All great Fast bowlers and all perfect gentlemen off the field. What worked for some may not work for others.