PDA

View Full Version : Could we have something like a Champions league for cricket?

Special 1
April 17, 2005, 02:58 PM
As you all might know that Chamions league is the premier soccer cup in Europe. The level of soccer played in that tournament is probably the best. However, no nations take part in, its clubs. Do you think it would be feasible to have something like that for South Asia?

Edited on, April 18, 2005, 2:30 AM GMT, by BBgun.

Akib
April 17, 2005, 04:09 PM
hmmm.... Well we know that any BD teams competing dont stand a chance. Probably some India team will win the competion.

Special 1
April 17, 2005, 04:22 PM
If we were to have something like this league only the top 3 teams from India, Pakistan, Srilanka and Bangladesh would play. There should also be a quota on how many international players you can play in one game and such. It would be very beneficial for clubs in Bangladesh as we can recruit the lights of Ponting, Lara to come play for one or two of the matches. And since the matches are gonna be held in big stadiums with good players playing in them, ticket money and sponsers will make the idea very lucrative for clubs. Also, all the clubs in the countries will make long term investments so that they can win their respective National Leagues for future participation in this league of elite clubs. Instead of Cricket Boards getting all the money and using it innefficiently, this time clubs will invest on foreign coaches and stuff.

Akib
April 17, 2005, 07:33 PM
I doubt Ponting or Lara would ever want to play for BD clubs. They would be too busy in Australia or in the West Indies.
If they ever did this i think it should be the best team from every country. Because if top 3 from BD comes all BD clubs have to do is be in the top half which isnt that hard compared to what clubs in other countries have to go to.

Also of note, you spelt Champions wrong in your title and in your post.

Edited on, April 18, 2005, 9:06 PM GMT, by aka.
Reason: Spelt wrong wrong...

Special 1
April 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
a genuine typo

Desh Bangla
April 17, 2005, 08:43 PM
What's the point when they play Cricket in county in England as i know England never won a cricket world cup as they created the game by themselves .What a shame ?

cricket_pagla
April 18, 2005, 12:22 PM
Soccre != Cricket... In highest level there is only in 10cricket nations...and in futball there is more than 60+.. my point is Chamipons league could be arrange by ICC.. but its not gonna be popular like Soccers! :umm:

Carte Blanche
April 18, 2005, 12:25 PM
Only a handful of clubs will have the finances to put up a decent team. I can only see the likes of Biman, Abahani or MSC having the slightest of chances of organizing a team.

naheyan
April 18, 2005, 05:45 PM
i agree...............finance could be a crucial factor...and after all, most of the good players are either in england or in australian league .
So i really think that it is not practically possible to have such a league.

Special 1
April 18, 2005, 07:12 PM
It is true, that finances is going to be a problem. Believe me it is a problem for clubs in europe as well. Only 3 -4 teams play from each country. I mean if India and pakistan have 6 teams playing and Bangladesh and drilanka have fewer teams playing, I think it would be pretty competitive. If the ACC gives teams to the money for participating in the legue teams will have incentives. And the argument about smaller clubs, its the same for Champions League. Bolton Wonderers do not expect to be in the champions league every year, it only the top teams. It would be a good exercise for our top players because they can recruit 1 -2 high profile players and atleast get used to winning, and trust me that is contagious.