PDA

View Full Version : Lasik: One way we can get ahead!

capslock
April 18, 2005, 04:10 AM
Read this very interesting article in slate.com: http://slate.msn.com/id/2116858/

It's basically about how Lasik eye surgery is changing the performance of professional atheletes, most of whom are getting Lasik to get better than 20/20 vision and are consequently doing better, espcially Baseball batters and golfers. I can't help but think that this surgery will help our cricketers, especially our batsmen perform better, especially if they are playing fast bowlers. This should be something the BCB sold consider investing in

mwrkhan
April 18, 2005, 06:23 AM
I don't think a doctor will perform Lasik surgery unless the patient suffers from a vision defect, so if the players have normal vision I don't think surgery will be done to make the vision "better" than 20/20.

Edited on, April 18, 2005, 11:24 AM GMT, by mwrkhan.

Hasib
April 18, 2005, 08:52 AM
Maybe the EyeQ software is a better option... it helps u to read quicker... but is has also found to improve sports such tennis.

capslock
April 18, 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by mwrkhan
I don't think a doctor will perform Lasik surgery unless the patient suffers from a vision defect, so if the players have normal vision I don't think surgery will be done to make the vision "better" than 20/20.

Did you bother actually reading the article?

fwullah
April 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
I think it'll be expensive to do such an operation even if there was any way of doing this operation for normal eyes.

mwrkhan
April 18, 2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by capslock

Did you bother actually reading the article?

I am a regular reader of Slate and read that article almost as soon as it came out on Sunday.

Edited on, April 18, 2005, 4:19 PM GMT, by mwrkhan.

mwrkhan
April 18, 2005, 11:37 AM
From Slate:

"...Nor do you need poor vision to find a willing doctor. Most states think you're fine to drive a car without corrective lenses as long as your eyesight is better than 20/40. Cirillo, then a third baseman for the Seattle Mariners, was 20/35 in one eye and 20/30 in the other when he went in for LASIK two years ago. He came out 20/20 and 20/12. Cruz, an outfielder for the Toronto Blue Jays, was 20/30 when he went for an eye exam. Five days later, he was under the beam. "The doctor kind of talked me into it," Cruz told the Toronto Star. He came out 20/15. According to the Orange County Register, Gary Sheffield, then an outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers, had eyesight better than 20/20 when he asked for laser surgery to raise his batting average. His doctor talked him out of it......"

I think they included 20/40 within the parameters of normal vision --- well, 20/40 would certainly merit Lasik. All other examples except the last were worse than 20/20. The only instance (Gary Sheffield) where vision was as good or better than 20/20 - the doctor refused. That's the only point I tried to make.

cricket_pagla
April 18, 2005, 11:44 AM
.oops:
why... work with natural eye sights?!..

capslock
April 18, 2005, 09:03 PM
From Slate:

"...Nor do you need poor vision to find a willing doctor. Most states think you're fine to drive a car without corrective lenses as long as your eyesight is better than 20/40. Cirillo, then a third baseman for the Seattle Mariners, was 20/35 in one eye and 20/30 in the other when he went in for LASIK two years ago. He came out 20/20 and 20/12. Cruz, an outfielder for the Toronto Blue Jays, was 20/30 when he went for an eye exam. Five days later, he was under the beam. "The doctor kind of talked me into it," Cruz told the Toronto Star. He came out 20/15. According to the Orange County Register, Gary Sheffield, then an outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers, had eyesight better than 20/20 when he asked for laser surgery to raise his batting average. His doctor talked him out of it......"

I think they included 20/40 within the parameters of normal vision --- well, 20/40 would certainly merit Lasik. All other examples except the last were worse than 20/20. The only instance (Gary Sheffield) where vision was as good or better than 20/20 - the doctor refused. That's the only point I tried to make.

Maybe my reading comprehension is really bad but since when does 'his doctor talked him out of it' = 'his doctor refused'?

Also, you are making a big assumption that all our players have 20/20 eyesight or better, how would we know this?

Edited on, April 19, 2005, 2:16 AM GMT, by capslock.

say
April 18, 2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by fwullah
I think it'll be expensive to do such an operation even if there was any way of doing this operation for normal eyes.

FW, this is not a very expensive operation.