PDA

View Full Version : USA to stage Asia v Rest of the World?

ajithlalm
April 20, 2005, 07:06 AM
Three ODI matches Asia v Rest of the World series will be played at Houston between June 16 and 19. The venue, the Houston Astrodome in Texas, is a home of baseball in the USA. The series, which consists of two 45-over games and a final 50-over match, was announced at a press conference in New Delhi by an organisation called Cricket World International (CWI).

akabir77
April 20, 2005, 08:13 AM
Whos gonna play?? real pro player or people from usa?

Faceoff
April 20, 2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ajithlalm
Three ODI matches Asia v Rest of the World series will be played at Houston between June 16 and 19. The venue, the Houston Astrodome in Texas, is a home of baseball in the USA. The series, which consists of two 45-over games and a final 50-over match, was announced at a press conference in New Delhi by an organisation called Cricket World International (CWI).

Please post the source of your news. Thanks.

AsifTheManRahman
April 20, 2005, 10:44 AM
<a href = "http://content.cricinfo.com/usa/content/story/207098.html">Source</a>

personally, i don't want the USA to get further involved with cricket. once they start taking it seriously, they'll kick our and everyone else's butts day and night.

Spitfire_x86
April 20, 2005, 11:54 AM
If they start taking cricket seriously, then we will see death of Test and ODI and 20-20 will become the longest version of cricket.

Faceoff
April 20, 2005, 12:29 PM
"At the press conference, CWI announced that Virender Sehwag, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Yuvraj Singh, Irfan Pathan, Mohammad Sami, and Shahid Afridi were already committed to play for the Asia XI in Houston. Former Pakistan vice-captain Yousuf Youhana, incumbent Younis Khan, former captain Rashid Latif, and Shoaib Malik are also set to play. "Talks are on with Sachin Tendulkar, Inzamam-ul Haq, and Shoaib Akhtar also," Hasan Jalil, representing CWI, told reporters.

The World XI will include the West Indian duo of Ricardo Powell and Wavell Hinds, Mahela Jayawardane and Chaminda Vaas from Sri Lanka, New Zealanders Nathan Astle and Chris Harris, retired South African Jonty Rhodes and his compatriot Jacques Kallis, as well as Michael Bevan (Australia), Heath Streak (Zimbabwe), John Davison (Canada) and Steve Massiah (USA). "

Unfortunately no bd players in the list. Oh well, my trip for the match is still on. Let me know who else is going.

couger
April 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman

personally, i don't want the USA to get further involved with cricket. once they start taking it seriously, they'll kick our and everyone else's butts day and night.

Relax, there's not chance in hell that this'll ever happen.

insideedge
April 21, 2005, 02:57 AM
Cricket World International has no locus standi in arranging international matches. This appears to be a fly by night operator out to make a fast buck.

I remember the same ( or was it some other organisation with similar sounding name) announcing India vs Pakistan matches in USA. When BCCI put its foot down, that was the last that was heard of that proposal. This is likely to be no different. How can a match involving international players be organised without taking the cricket control bodies of the respective countries and ICC into confidence.

Akib
April 21, 2005, 03:55 PM
This is a good way to increase support in the USA. The only problem is where will they play and how many people will actually go?