PDA

View Full Version : [Old Thread] Breaking News: Whatmore extend Bangladesh tenure

reverse_swing
April 20, 2005, 06:50 AM
From correspondents in Dhaka
20apr05
BANGLADESH cricket coach Dave Whatmore said he would sign today an agreement to keep him with the Test newcomers through to the World Cup 2007.

"I'll sign an agreement for two years with the Bangladesh Cricket Board later today," Whatmore told AFP by telephone.

The Australian's two-year deal with the board expires on April 30.

Whatmore said he was keen to stay with the Bangladesh team though he has been linked with the Indian cricket team following the departure of New Zealander John Wright.

Under Whatmore, who guided Sri Lanka to World Cup triumph in 1996, Bangladesh won their first Test series by beating a young Zimbabwe side in January this year.

Whatmore is now with the team in Chittagong preparing for Bangladesh's maiden visit to England in May.

"Whatmore is a very good coach and under him the Bangladesh team has already prospered," cricket board president Ali Asgar Lobby said, confirming the new deal.

"He now knows the players, people and the local conditions here. Under him, I am confident the team will prosper further."

"Some years from now, Bangladesh should be able to make an impact," Whatmore said.

Bangladesh have won just one of 36 Tests and lost 31, with the remaining four drawn since gaining Test status in 2000.

In one-dayers, they have managed nine wins in 106 matches, including a victory over Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup. Bangladesh also beat India for the first time last November in Chittagong.
Source>> (http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15033317%255E23212,00.html)

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 11:51 AM GMT, by rezwan1977.

Rumi
April 20, 2005, 07:05 AM
Whatmore extend Bangladesh tenure
Brisbane Courier Mail - Brisbane,Queensland,Australia

-Repeat of above news posted earlier. Threads merged.

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 12:35 PM GMT, by oracle.
Reason: merging

reverse_swing
April 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
Moderator should merge this thread with my previous post as both are same.

oracle
April 20, 2005, 07:35 AM
merged.

insideedge
April 20, 2005, 07:42 AM
Good to see that DW will continue as BD coach.

oracle
April 20, 2005, 08:01 AM
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/bangladesh/4464989.stm)

He told BBC Sport a deal was close to being sorted out but added: "I will not make any comment until an official announcement by Sri Lanka cricket."

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 1:02 PM GMT, by oracle.

roaring_tiger
April 20, 2005, 08:17 AM
I wish Bagladesh have a even successful 2nd term with him...:up:

mahbubH
April 20, 2005, 08:18 AM
Whatmore must be feeling that he has reached a dead end with Bangladesh team and there may not be much more he may be able to achieve with the present BD line up. It will be no surprise if BD loses heavily in England in their forthcoming tour despite his presence.

So Whatmore may have sensed that this was his opportunity to switch to a less frustrating and relatively easier job of coaching India.

Sometging is wrong with this post.

mahbubH
April 20, 2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by oracle
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/bangladesh/4464989.stm)

He told BBC Sport a deal was close to being sorted out but added: "I will not make any comment until an official announcement by Sri Lanka cricket."

Sri Lanka board?? typo?

Rubu
April 20, 2005, 08:47 AM
another early report without any fact?

mahbubH
April 20, 2005, 08:49 AM
Is it DW last warning to others ... "I'll sign an agreement for two years with the Bangladesh Cricket Board later today,"

Sham
April 20, 2005, 08:50 AM
Channel I reports that Dav Whatmore has signed a two-year extension today. This is the first definitive bit of news I have heard of it, not some "he might, will soon, will today" sort of wishy washy crap! Looks like he wasn't able to convince the Indian board of a longer than 1 year contract.

Anyway, we have him for another two years so we can discard all the plan Bs and the focus can turn back to the England tour thank God! :)

Navarene
April 20, 2005, 09:03 AM
Good news! All I pray and hope now is by signing in new contract his heart will still remain the same for our cricket like before.

betaar
April 20, 2005, 09:57 AM
The new challenge for the BD boys should be to improve much more then what they did last couple years and make him stay even beyond the World Cup 2007.

Zobair
April 20, 2005, 10:39 AM
Great news! Alright then! Let's move on , shall we?! :)

Fazal
April 20, 2005, 10:47 AM
Dav Dada Khel Dhekhailo.

But the final result matters most.

Yea... lets move on....

cricket_pagla
April 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
:great: news!

pilot fan
April 20, 2005, 11:28 AM
Bangladesh coach signs up until end of 2007 World Cup

Whatmore agrees to two-year extension

Cricinfo staff

April 20, 2005

Dav Whatmore: two-year extension to contract © Getty Images

On the eve of their inaugural tour of England, Bangladesh’s morale has received a major boost with the news that their inspirational coach, Dav Whatmore, has agreed to extend his contract by a further two years.

Whatmore took over as national coach after Bangladesh’s disastrous performance in the 2003 World Cup, and in the intervening years he has supervised a steady improvement in the team’s prospects. In October 2004 they came within one wicket of their inaugural Test victory, against Pakistan at Multan, and earlier this year they finally broke their duck by seeing off their fellow minnows, Zimbabwe, in a two-Test home series.

According to Cricinfo’s sources in Bangladesh, Whatmore was very much in the running to take over the India job from John Wright, but was persuaded to stay on until the end of the World Cup, thanks in no small part to a salary that is reported to be nearly double his current deal.

“The Bangladesh Cricket Board feels it is important to have continuity,” read the official statement, “to ensure that the bright young talent that has been introduced into the squad during his tenure continues to have his influence through to the World Cup in 2007.”

As a former coach of Lancashire, Whatmore’s knowledge of English conditions will be of paramount importance during the forthcoming tour. The team is set to be announced tomorrow, and the tour begins with a three-day match against British Universities at Fenner’s on May 10.

© Cricinfo

Hasib
April 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd

Whatmore must be feeling that he has reached a dead end with Bangladesh team and there may not be much more he may be able to achieve with the present BD line up. It will be no surprise if BD loses heavily in England in their forthcoming tour despite his presence.

So Whatmore may have sensed that this was his opportunity to switch to a less frustrating and relatively easier job of coaching India.

Sometging is wrong with this post.

where did u get that post from...?

mahbubH
April 20, 2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Hasib
where did u get that post from...?
Here --> http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10980

Sham
April 20, 2005, 11:43 AM
Now that he has signed, its in his interest to do as much for Bangladesh cricket as possible. It will only enhance his reputation and make him even more sought after!

reverse_swing
April 20, 2005, 11:54 AM
thanks in no small part to a salary that is reported to be nearly double his current deal.

I heard that the amount is 15K per month. It was 8K previously.

Musfique
April 20, 2005, 12:12 PM
At least he had us entertained for the duration of the NCL....

cricket_pagol
April 20, 2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Sham
Looks like he wasn't able to convince the Indian board of a longer than 1 year contract.

Where did this definitive bit of news come from? There is so much baseless speculation going on.

babubangla
April 20, 2005, 12:33 PM
Dear Dave Whatmore,
I'm really sorry that you had to settle for the Bangladesh job. I hope you will get the India job next time.

Sham
April 20, 2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by cricket_pagol
Looks like he wasn't able to convince the Indian board of a longer than 1 year contract.

Where did this definitive bit of news come from? There is so much baseless speculation going on.

Didn't claim that that was definitive. That was speculation on my part, hence the words 'seems like.' However, it isn't baseless. I heard from a couple of decent sources that there was an initial offer from India on which Whatmore and the BCCI had talks. In any case, after the way Samir got abused on this forum after he wrote about his chat with Whatmore, there was no way I was going to write about it on this forum. If there was some such offer and negotiations based on it, it obviously didn't work out in the end.

And in any case, what does it matter? He is with us for the next two years and thats what counts!

Beamer
April 20, 2005, 12:57 PM
Agreed. All the previuous discussions based on speculations, rumors, half-truths etc has been rendered mute. Actually we may now close all the other threads regarding that "saga" for last couple of weeks. It is indeed a great news to have him signed up until after the world cup. For the sake of continuity it was paramount that we re-sign him. It would have set us back a year or so had he left us at this juncture. His job with us is not even half done. We are just begining to see a semblance of the right combination in the team after two years of some what experimentation. We have established the opening position, middle order and the bowlers for the test team. It is important that now he sees it through as it becomes a cohesive and combative unit. Another two years will ensure that we stay the course as he guides the ship. Its a good day for us and we should look forward to his renewed tenure.

Sham
April 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
Well put!

Ahmed_B
April 20, 2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by pilot fan
..According to Cricinfo’s sources in Bangladesh, Whatmore was very much in the running to take over the India job from John Wright, but was persuaded to stay on until the end of the World Cup.....
hmm... I still do wonder which sources..
:cool:

Sam
April 20, 2005, 01:38 PM
It's a great news to have him with us for next two more years. But mind it - only for two more years not more. We have to look for plan B, plan C etc. at the end of his present tenure of contract.

israr
April 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
That means he won't stay with us eventhough Bangladesh comes out with something extraordinary in the 2007 world cup? I wish he stays and commits himself to Bangladesh unless they are no longer a pushover and becomes a force to be reckoned with, like he did with Sri Lanka. However, but at the moment, all focus on the England tour.

Sham
April 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
I don't think this is the time to think about whether he will stay with us past the 2007 world cup! Its too early. Plus, we might not want him after 2007, even if we do great in the world cup. A team needs to keep evolving and new coaching methods, new styles always add a new dimension. Having Whatmore as our coach has been and continues to be a blessing for BD cricket, but two years later, we may feel that we need someone new! This discussion is useless right now.

Edited on, April 20, 2005, 8:22 PM GMT, by Sham.

Fazal
April 20, 2005, 03:45 PM
<i> "Whatmore in now processing to rebuild the team with a set of Under-19 players who are expected to be revealed as a super power in the next World Cup. " NewAge</i>

NewAge (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)

Asha Ta ektu Beshi hoee Gelo na:-/

Sham
April 20, 2005, 04:14 PM
The poor staff correspondent was trying to end with a flourish and made a hash of it. New Age needs a better proof reader for the Sports section.

rafiq
April 20, 2005, 04:27 PM
So what was the new salary? Is it $180K per some of the published reports that he was at 15/month and had nearly doubled from the 100K they were paying him before?

nasimul
April 20, 2005, 04:43 PM
10,000 USD after tax plus other facilities about 13,000 USD. Next year it will increase 10% more.

nasimul
April 20, 2005, 04:44 PM
I mean 13,000 USD per month

Akib
April 20, 2005, 04:53 PM
Wow. That is a lot of money. $156 000 US a year. If only i could get that much money.

shujan
April 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
CricinfoWhatmore untill 2007 in Bangladesh. Cricinfo (http://content.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/207136.html)

Zunaid
April 20, 2005, 10:04 PM
Merged to this thread.

Please read this topic (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/viewthread.php?tid=10997)

shujan
April 20, 2005, 10:06 PM
Didn't see the thread in the front page. Sorry chief.

Zunaid
April 20, 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by shujan
Didn't see the thread in the front page. Sorry chief.

Happens to the best of us. I have done it too :)

say
April 20, 2005, 11:09 PM
mishti koi?

RazabQ
April 20, 2005, 11:14 PM
I think Whatmore just gave us all a master-lesson in BATNA :)

sraabon
April 21, 2005, 03:49 AM
John Wright's salary in comparison is a meager $40K per year.

John Wright makes -
Per Month Per Year
----------- ---------
Rs 157,000 (US $3,296) Rs 18,84,000 (US$ 39,554)

PoorFan
April 21, 2005, 03:55 AM
Seems too cheap to me compare to our coach!

paco
April 21, 2005, 12:24 PM
But Whatmore, the Australian who transformed Sri Lanka, could soon have another nation on his multi-ethnic CV. He is in talks with India, who have just parted company with John Wright, and the extension he signed with Bangladesh yesterday has an opt-out clause he might well be invoking in mid-summer.

source : Daily Telegraph (http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/04/21/scbrig21.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/04/21/ixsport.html)

Locutus
April 21, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thats just great! :up: to Bangladesh and Whatmore!

RazabQ
April 21, 2005, 12:42 PM
uh oh - opt out clause eh? The more I read about this situation, the more some of the gloss comes off Whatmore. An active coach shilling to the media? Isn't that kinda like Rameez being PCB CEO and a commentator? If that is an an agent principal problem, I don't know what is.

al
April 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
:up:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/bangladesh/4469217.stm
Whatmore aims to make Tigers roar
By Anna Thompson

Dav Whatmore is not a man who likes to leave jobs half done.

Whatmore celebrates Bangladesh's win over India in Chittagong
Which is why he has agreed to a contract extension as Bangladesh coach, with his next big task their first ever tour of England.

He can see there is talent in a squad which has been struggling along since it was launched into the Test arena five years ago.

The 51-year-old told BBC Sport: "My employers were very, very keen I stay with them and they have been pretty happy with the progress of the team."

Whatmore has been Bangladesh coach since June 2003 and under his tutelage they won their first Test series, beating Zimbabwe 1-0 in January this year, and have also recorded a one-day win over India in Calcutta.

Whatmore says a new domestic four-day competition in the country and the implementation of a high performance unit have improved Bangladeshi cricket in the last couple of years.

He said: "There are continuing challenges along the way because the national team has only begun their journey.

"They are pretty much a young group of players, not necessarily in years but in experience.

"I went in with my eyes open and I feel the real improvement will take a little bit longer than perhaps I first expected.

"Having said that we are definitely on the right track and there is talent. There are a few more youngsters who definitely will play for their country in time."

We are keen to make an impression to really test and push the opposition

Dav Whatmore
More: Whatmore signs new deal

Whatmore and his squad will head to England next month for a two-Test series and the one-day NatWest Series, which incorporates world champions Australia.

It is not going to be easy for Whatmore - especially as his side have never played in English conditions in May - but he is hoping they will put up a fight.

"It's going to be extremely tough, there is no question about it," Whatmore admitted.

"But having said that we are keen to make an impression to really test and push the opposition.

"I'm not going to make predictions but we are looking forward to the tour very much.

"In Test matches, we are playing the second-ranked team in the world so that's very difficult in itself and in the home conditions is even more difficult."

We are in the process of making stars - we haven't got the stars yet

Dav Whatmore
It is going to be a steep learning curve for the side but Whatmore believes this could be a positive thing.

"What I want to see is mistakes that are made not being repeated too often and our objectives are to do well in the game and for individual players to meet their targets.

"If I go on certain comments made by people in England they feel none of the Bangladesh players can play.

"But that's a nice little carrot for our boys to motivate themselves to do well.

"We are in the process of making stars, we haven't got the stars yet. It's exciting to be a part of a group who is striving to reach that level."

Although Whatmore has signed a two-year deal, the chance of becoming India coach is still a big attraction and he is not ruling it out in the near future.

But for now he is concentrating on Bangladesh and their progression in the Test and one-day arenas.

"I'd like to translate a lot of our effort into a few more wins along the way," he said.

But against England and Australia that is going to be a tough ask indeed.

Beamer
April 21, 2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by razabq
uh oh - opt out clause eh? The more I read about this situation, the more some of the gloss comes off Whatmore. An active coach shilling to the media? Isn't that kinda like Rameez being PCB CEO and a commentator? If that is an an agent principal problem, I don't know what is.

I have to agree with you. I refrained from making any comments earlier when speculations and rumors were ripe. Now, that he has signed the extension, I think it is inappropriate for him to give signals such as these to the Indian camp. I would rather have him leave now than in the middle of the England series. That will be a disaster. How professional is this? You have just signed a new deal that have doubled your salary and you are still expressing your desire. I just hope this bit of news is another speculation. Actually, Whatmore can kill all this by coming out and issuing a firm statement declaring himself non-available until 2007. Or is this new salary-raise/ extension is for gaining leverage with the Indian camp who was paying John Wright much less??

Ahmed_B
April 21, 2005, 01:34 PM
This Job Opportunities that Whatmore seems to attract.. does indicate one thing really..

And that is... no matter how much the Rest of the world criticize Bangladesh's performances, they really are untilamtely Impressed !! This demand for Whatmore is actually the Direct Impact of the improvement that BD has shown over the last few years... and not just Whatmore's success with Sri-Lanka!

mahbubH
April 21, 2005, 02:22 PM
This is from BBC audio.

Australian Dav Whatmore is delighted to have signed a new two-year deal with to coach the Bangladesh cricket team, and says he is looking forward to the impending tour of England - although he admits there is a get-out clause in his new contract.

We should give a new name like

1. Dave "Wanna India Coach" Wahtmore
2. Dav "get-out" Whatmore

.... I just do not have any respect left for him.

Sham
April 21, 2005, 02:31 PM
OH LORD!!

Is that true? So, he might still go to India? I guess he won't be unprofessional enough to go in the middle of our England tour, so I am pretty sure he will see that out. However, if India does offer him a job, we will probably lose him still. And just when we thought we had him for the next two years. Yeah, I have to say, I am more than just a little disappointed with Whatmore. He obviously isn't all that excited to be our caoch anymore!

Fazal
April 21, 2005, 02:33 PM
Is that true? So, he might still go to India?

Another quote from BBC, "Although Whatmore has signed a two-year deal, the chance of becoming India coach is still a big attraction and he is not ruling it out in the near future. "

Fazal
April 21, 2005, 02:37 PM
Another Interesting quote:

"The 51-year-old told BBC Sport: "My employers were very, very keen I stay with them and they have been pretty happy with the progress of the team."

tnb
April 21, 2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Beamer
Originally posted by razabq
uh oh - opt out clause eh? The more I read about this situation, the more some of the gloss comes off Whatmore. An active coach shilling to the media? ..... If that is an an agent principal problem, I don't know what is.

I have to agree with you. .......... Or is this new salary-raise/ extension is for gaining leverage with the Indian camp who was paying John Wright much less??

Pura bapar tai vitor tita koira raikha dise. Eirokomn ekta tourer age sachrami val-lag lo na. so called 'professional' shobder proti ami bitosroddha.

However, his interview with bbc (check the audio link from bbc sports) gives the impression that he is in a little bit of 'ashoshti' with all his 'want to be the coach of India' sachrami.

paco
April 22, 2005, 03:26 PM
I remember hearing that he got a 20% raise, not 100% - can anyone verify ? Even so, isn't he already better paid than John Wright ?

Mueid
April 22, 2005, 03:52 PM
i read somewhere that his pay was doubled, porbably the bbc report but i cant say for sure.

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 8:54 PM GMT, by Mueid.

aosaif
April 22, 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by crickethorizon
This Job Opportunities that Whatmore seems to attract.. does indicate one thing really..

And that is... no matter how much the Rest of the world criticize Bangladesh's performances, they really are untilamtely Impressed !! This demand for Whatmore is actually the Direct Impact of the improvement that BD has shown over the last few years... and not just Whatmore's success with Sri-Lanka!

I never thought of it like that. Good thinking.

shamz
October 22, 2006, 12:42 PM
kick watmore out and put khalde masud the new manager

oracle
October 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Good Luck Dav. I guess the options are quite limited as fas as top coaches are concerned!I mean there are'nt that many ops and there are'nt that many good coaches=works both ways!

Sam
October 22, 2006, 01:08 PM
Purono kashundi ghataghati keno?

kalpurush
October 22, 2006, 06:17 PM
kick watmore out and put khalde masud the new manager

As far I remember Dav is our coach and Sujon is our manager. So...what do you want really?!!

SS
October 22, 2006, 10:05 PM
Not sure why this thread is up again which was from 2005.

Murad
October 23, 2006, 12:10 AM
aager shob thread dekhi..ekhon notun kore ashtese.. ghotonata ki...

sadi
October 23, 2006, 12:13 AM
Remake. Inspired from Bollywood.

billah
October 23, 2006, 12:46 AM
Don't like it one bit. It's time for a change and we gave away the opportunity. Reasons:

1. Dav failed in the exact areas we need improvement the most. First being the batting, second, the mental toughness

2. Dav repeatedly insulted our country, our team and the team members by openly entering into possible job negotiations, even in the middle of important series or tournament.

3. Dav knows now that his prospect for an upward change of job is slim. So, he is doing this deal. Several possible future secnarios can be analyzed, where he may end up dumping us and jumping ship in the middle of another tournament.

4. Dav has learned the inside trick of keeping the key people happy in BCB. That is how he is securing his job.

5. It is indeed time for fresh ideas in coaching for our young team. Dav is cashing in on a few young talents that had their teeth cut with McInnes. Now, he will use them, then, he will discard them prematurely, since he will not be able to build on their tough mental training. This has been Dav's history and this was one reason he fell out of favor with the SL team.

We must remember, that our lack of batting talent is so acute, that we must not think that we can do as good as SL did with Dav. Dav did not have to teach them batting. They always had the batting giants.

Yet another bad decision on Loby's part, at the time of his departure....

Sumon77
October 23, 2006, 01:45 AM
looks like Billah vai is lost here.. thats the beauty of digging up old threads.. :)

billah
October 23, 2006, 02:26 AM
looks like Billah vai is lost here.. thats the beauty of digging up old threads.. :)

Shucks ! You guys pulled one on me :blush:. Good one.

However, what I said stands as my official feelings. By now, I am paranoid about extending Dav's tenure beyond WC 2007.:)

sadi
October 23, 2006, 09:01 AM

lol...

Tigers_eye
October 23, 2006, 10:39 AM
shamz,
Since you are new I will go easy on you. bro, this is not funny any more. Stop this digging old threads with a one liner. If you have some thing to say then say it properly. Gather all your thoughts and then say it, explain it why do you think so.

israr
October 23, 2006, 11:08 AM
Let shamz be free, it'll be some time before he adapts himself.

nannu
October 23, 2006, 11:19 AM
go whatmore go. we r behind u (still)