PDA

View Full Version : Team announced, Bangladesh in England 2005.

bdmoderator
April 21, 2005, 03:12 AM
Team announced for England tour. Three new comer on the team. They are-Shahadat Hossain, a fast bowler, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, a middle-order batsman, and Mushfiqur Rahim, the second wicketkeeper

SQUAD:
Nafis Iqbal, Javed Omar, Habibul Bashar (capt), Mohammad Ashraful, Rajin Saleh, Aftab Ahmed, Khaled Mashud, Mushfiqur Rahiman, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Enamul Haque jr, Mashrafee Bin Murtaza, Tapash Baishya, Anwar Hossain, Talha Zubair, Shahadat Hossain.

bdmoderator
April 21, 2005, 03:13 AM
Bangladesh have picked three uncapped players in their 16-man squad for the upcoming tour of England. Habibul Bashar was retained as captain for the tour, where they are scheduled to play two Tests before competing in the NatWest Series against England and Australia.

Shahadat Hossain, a fast bowler, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, a middle-order batsman, and Mushfiqur Rahim, the second wicketkeeper, were the three new players picked. The rest of the squad was on expected lines with Mohammad Rafique and Enamul Haque Jr picked as the main spinners.

The naming of the squad came a day after Dav Whatmore signed a new deal that extended his contract by another two years till the 2007 World Cup. Faruque Ahmed, the chief selector, felt that Whatmore's experiences with coaching Lancashire will hold the team in good stead durnig the course of the tour. "The tour will be a tough experience for our boys because of the completely different conditions in England," Ahmed was quoted as saying in the Sky Sports website. "But we are now spirited by having our coach for another two years."

Source:
http://content.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/207159.html

fwullah
April 21, 2005, 03:15 AM
What the!

Cricinfo is even faster than ntv channel news! I came here to post about 'notun chomok: Mushfiqur Rahm'.

fwullah
April 21, 2005, 03:26 AM
As far as I can remember, Channel I news said that 3 players will come back to Bangladesh after the test series and 4 players will join the squad on 2nd June to play the ODIs.

The names of these 4 players for only the ODIs are:-

1. Khaled Mahmud
2. Tushar Imran
3. Nazmul Hossain
4. Monjurul Islam Rana

PoorFan
April 21, 2005, 03:28 AM
Everything ok, but Nazmul is not there, when Anwar Hossain and Talha Zubair in the team. How good is this Anwar Hossain with bat and ball?

nasifkhan
April 21, 2005, 03:28 AM
Edited on, April 21, 2005, 8:33 AM GMT, by nasifkhan.

Mr-khan
April 21, 2005, 03:30 AM
Anwar hossain ta k?

Shehwar
April 21, 2005, 03:31 AM
No place for Rana !!! Unbelievable !!! Atleast he shud have been picked for the one day side.......two 4 wicket hauls and moms in a row plus stunning performances in the last ODI....He basically won the ODI series against The Zims all by himself...Wot else will he have to do to become a regular member of the ODI side.....And wot the hell is Anwar Hossain doing in the squad...??.......

nasifkhan
April 21, 2005, 03:31 AM
Why Talha Zubair & Anwar Hossain...???????? Both of them is not worth it....... ei dui ta kisui paray na......

Mr-khan
April 21, 2005, 03:34 AM
Surprise change: Anwar hossain.
But kar relative aetae janar bisoy!!!

Shehwar
April 21, 2005, 03:40 AM
lolz..

bd_cricket
April 21, 2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by fwullah
As far as I can remember, Channel I news said that 3 players will come back to Bangladesh after the test series and 4 players will join the squad on 2nd June to play the ODIs.

1. Khaled Mahmud
2. Tushar Imran
3. Nazmul Hossain
4. Monjurul Islam Rana

I can tell who will be those three - if no other injury happens.

The unfortunate three will be

Javed Omar
Talha Jubair
Anwar Hossain

fwullah
April 21, 2005, 03:45 AM
In case anybody hasn't noticed my post:

1. Khaled Mahmud
2. Tushar Imran
3. Nazmul Hossain
4. Monjurul Islam Rana

PoorFan
April 21, 2005, 03:50 AM

1. Khaled Mahmud
2. Tushar Imran
3. Nazmul Hossain
4. Monjurul Islam Rana
Is this a recent ( todays? ) news?

Shehwar
April 21, 2005, 03:53 AM
Oh thank God!...For I moment I was like wot the!.....I take back all my comments after seeing the post of fwullah.....but still Why Anwar Hossain ?....WHY ?........I understand chacha failed the fitness test so Talha got lucky....But Anwar Hossain !!!....I just hope he doesn't play any of the matches and our main bowlers stay fit..cheers.....

mahbubH
April 21, 2005, 03:57 AM
Team is ok. Selectors pick their best two from Anwar, Talha, and Nazmul. Nazmul is a good ODI bowler for sure. I don't know whether Anwar is a better choice but he performed well in Dhaka premier league for Mohamedan and also in Duleep trophy.

Mushfiq is chosen over Sahgir. I thought Mushfiq is too young for national team. Lets hope for the best.

Good thing is no so called allrounder or multi-skilled player in the test squad. Simple team combination : 7 batsmen, 5 pacers, 2 spinners, and 2 wicketkeepers.

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 8:59 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.

pilot fan
April 21, 2005, 04:05 AM
were the heck s rana have u seen his test average with bat and ball

why jubir and not Mushfiqur Rahman the squad is a joke

Shehwar
April 21, 2005, 04:06 AM
Yeah right ! y not Shanto then ? Hasn''t he performed far better than Anwar in the current league ???.....I find Anwar's inclusion ridiculous!

PoorFan
April 21, 2005, 04:08 AM
I don't know whether Anwar is a better choice but he performed well in Dhaka premier league for Mohamedan and also in Duleep trophy.
OK, he must be Anwar Hossain Munir, that make sense now.

Mr-khan
April 21, 2005, 04:10 AM
Anwar is in the team because his channel is stronger than Musfiq.

Navarene
April 21, 2005, 05:37 AM
I welcome this 16 member team selection. About Anwar Hussain Munir, he could be replaced by Nazmul Hussain, but selectors thought nazmul would be the best fit for ODI's. Munir got a few chances before but couldn't capitalize his place as a seamer before. May be the english condition and a handy performance in NCL have made the selectors to pick Munir again. No worries guys, we are not gonna see him in the first eleven unless he bowls something extra ordinary in practice matches( depends on if he plays in practice matches).

Shahadat is going to debu in test for sure if the think tank goes for 3 seamers. Lets see if he can deceive the english batters with his sheer pace. About picking a back up wicket keeper, I think it is a very prudent decision taken by the selectors. Mushfiqur Rahim is surely going to play the practice matches and this way Pilot is spared from more work load to keep himself fit for the final count down.

The stage is set and the tigers are ready to stretch their paws to give England a run for their money! Never give up hopes guys:fanflag:

observer
April 21, 2005, 06:55 AM
Anwar Hossain Monir has worked very hard on his game over the past 12 months and now has the ability to swing the ball both ways, something he could never do before which made him a one dimensional bowler. He deserves his opportunity in this team after leading the attack in India and some good domestic performances.

Anyone that knows anything about bowling, will tell you Talha Jubair is a class act and only needs some match experiecne and time after long term injury to produce the goods.

mahbubH
April 21, 2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks coach for your input on the selection. I like to know you comments on our three wicketkeepers: Mushfiq, Dhiman, and Sahgir. Sahgir did pretty well in Dhaka league and not bad in DUleep trophy but I have never seen him. How do you rate him?

aosaif
April 21, 2005, 07:23 AM
Man coach McInnes rocks! I was all nerved up becoz of anwar's inclusion, but if u say he's got potential then i give it my ok.

Also nice to know that talha has potential too.

TheWatcher
April 21, 2005, 07:25 AM
Nothing is on the web that says players will be exchanged for NatWest series. Is it some channel i speculation? Can someone please verify the news from some other source?

Sham
April 21, 2005, 07:30 AM
I like this team a lot! Its very focused. No bits and pieces players like Sujon and Rana, neither of whom merit inclusion in the Test team, but will probably be drafted into the ODI team. So no surprises there!

I wrote about Talha the other day. In Bangladesh, Mashrafe apart, no other bowler has yet really troubled world class batsmen, so when we pick back-up seamers we have to do it on the basis of potential rather than performance. Talha is a player of tremendous potential and can in my opinion trouble world class batsman if he can become a little more disciplined. Although my words didn't convince too many people, I hope the coach's words will.

The only real surprise inclusion for me (Rahim apart, but till yesterday we hadn't even given a second-keeper a thought) is Monir. We haven't seen him play recently and we haven't been there during the practice sessions, I don't understand how we can dismiss him so easily! The people who picked him have seen him, and that includes Dav Whatmore, and obviously they did it for good reason! We are so quick to jump to stupid conclusions like he must have connections and crap like that. Again, we have to go by the opinion of people who have seen him recently, and if the coach's words are anything to go by, he isn't as ridiculous a pick as some of you are making it out to be!

green_cat
April 21, 2005, 07:59 AM

1. Khaled Mahmud
2. Tushar Imran
3. Nazmul Hossain
4. Monjurul Islam Rana

i think the unfortunate three will be
mushfiq, javed and anwar....
but ami hotash tushar ke select na korar jonno..at lest we need no 6 batsman in test team also.....oops:

feisal
April 21, 2005, 08:21 AM
Sham,

to add on talha: I think he got Mahela Jayawardane bowled neck and crop in former's first test. It is probably that test where De Silva raced to adouble century..

Sham
April 21, 2005, 08:30 AM
crktjani, our number 6 batsman in the test team is Aftab, so we aren't lacking one!

Fazal
April 21, 2005, 08:34 AM
If the Channel-I information provided by fwullah
is correct (replacing 3 players with 4 new players for ODI), then I think I like the team with some small surprises.

<b>Negative Surprise:</b>
1. Talha: He may have some potential no doubt. But is he ready? Lets see what he does in this series.

2. Anwar. Well I was surprised also. But after reading coach's remarks, who have better first hand knowledge and a much better judge of talent then us, I guess I am ok for now even though I am not excited about that. Lets hope he shines for the sake of the team.

<b>Positive Surprise:</b>
1. I am so happy that finally the other Shahriar Nafees (abir) got his chance. Lest see if he can be our replacement for Gullu in test (in future).

2. Shahadat. Finally releived that he is selected as expected..

3. Mushfiqur Rahim. Even though some people will say its too early to bring him in the national team ( the logic have some merit no doubt), I truly love this selection. Of course there is some risk involved, but sometimes you need to take some risks for special cases. And he may be the one. I hope he shines in this tour. Most likely he will only get his chance in the warmup matches. Thatís ok. At last they are addressing the backup wicketkeeper issue more aggressively(who should be ready to replace Pilot when he retires). Also they are rewarding Mushfiqur for his excellent performance so far. So wakeup Dhiman before itís too late.

Personally I would follow Shahriar Nafees (Abir), Shahadat and Mushfiqur Rahimís performance and their growth in this series.

Over all I am very

:fire::fire::fire:

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 1:43 PM GMT, by Fazal.

Sham
April 21, 2005, 08:39 AM
I just watched the channel I sports news. FIVE players will return after the Test series and will be replaced by FOUR players. That makes much more sense! The ODI squad will be a squad of 15, not a squad of 17!!

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 1:41 PM GMT, by Sham.

reverse_swing
April 21, 2005, 08:49 AM
Few days ago Janakaontho(most probably) reported that BCB people recently have signed a contract with a company for marketing purpose. This company will take the responsibility of ameliorating Bangladeshís image in abroad through cricket. Anybody knows about this?

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 1:53 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.

Shehwar
April 21, 2005, 08:53 AM
If McInnes says Anwar Hossain has it him....well.....then we shud probably wait and see wot the guy is all about......Thanx for ur input coach.....

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2005, 08:54 AM
Not a bad team. Not many surprises. Much as I'd like to try Chacha out in the practice matches, I guess there isn't any place for him in tests anyways (i.e. even if he performs well there).

Rana - I'd not pick him for tests anyways, so I don't have any problems as long as he's in the ODI team.

I don't support the inclusion of Tushar in the ODI team or that of Munir in the test team. I don't see what led the selection committee to choose these two. perhaps they needed an extra net bowler in Munir?

However, I agree that the coach and selectors are in a better position to make the decisions, and I wouldn't mind Munir playing in a couple of practice matches.

As for Talha - I don't see him getting a nod ahead of Shahadat in the first eleven.

The only surprise is Mushfiqur Rahim. A very, very good choice in my opinion. It had to be either him or Dhiman - I'll buy the selectors a meal if I come across them.

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by observer
Anwar Hossain Monir has worked very hard on his game over the past 12 months and now has the ability to swing the ball both ways, something he could never do before which made him a one dimensional bowler. He deserves his opportunity in this team after leading the attack in India and some good domestic performances.

Anyone that knows anything about bowling, will tell you Talha Jubair is a class act and only needs some match experiecne and time after long term injury to produce the goods.

i agree about talha. he will get better, but is not among the top in the current bunch.

however, i didn't know about munir's transition. well, since you say he has it in him, i guess he has it in him! :) in that case i'd definitely like to see him in a few practice matches.

TheWatcher
April 21, 2005, 09:02 AM
Let me guess the five coming back before NatWest series- Javed, Munir, Talha, Enamul, and Mushfiqur.

Rubu
April 21, 2005, 09:28 AM
do not like the team for two reasons, talha and anwar hossain.
In Bangladesh, Mashrafe apart, no other bowler has yet really troubled world class batsmen, so when we pick back-up seamers we have to do it on the basis of potential rather than performance

can't agree. nazmul was pretty good in champion's trophy and has much more experience becuase he has played the recent games. he is a swing dependant bowler and actually was better than taposh in recent past. england is the perfect place for his bowling now that he received the required experience, unlike last time. well, he did shine last time, he would have been much better this time.
even if someone has potential early summer condition against a strong england team is not the best place on earth to try to groom it. anwar hossain, if plays, well be trashed by english batsman. but if he was a bit experienced with few more A team or a few more series in dometic cricket. he would have been useful. now, we'll see that he can't perform and will throw away. his potential will go with it.
it is a bad decision from both perspective team and him to include him when better replacement were available.

RazabQ
April 21, 2005, 10:28 AM
Do spare a thought for Rana - poor trier will have to keep knocking on the door. As we weren't at the nets, we won't know but he must NOT have made a convincing case to be taken to UK as a batsman alone. And the team was always going to go with just seven speciallist batsmen. I do think he had some momentum behind him going into the training camp and thought he'd pipe in as the 8th batsman (ish)

Instead we are going with 5 pacers and 2 spinners. Seven bowlers is a lot but again - I assume the selectors know what they are doing. Our batsmen better be prepared to play every match - not a whole lot of cover there.

Monir's selection is a surprise - but coach says he's worth the pick and that's good enough for me. Ditto for Talha. And I suspect Nazmul wasn't particularly penetrative in the camp. For him to become the 6th pacer on the pecking order, after consistently creditable performances - albeit in ODIs - is surprising.

Musfhiq is outta left field!

In short, a most surprising squad. But until proven otherwise, the powers that be get the benefit of doubt.

cracky
April 21, 2005, 10:49 AM
This is indeed a very good team selection. But personally I think Nazmul would have been a better choice instead of Talha in English condition.

But anyways, good luck boys.

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 3:50 PM GMT, by cracky.

RazabQ
April 21, 2005, 10:55 AM
BD Khela story on team (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=13113&iCategoryID=1).

The most interesting part of this was Faruk stating that Shahriar Nafis had been selected to fill a middle order gap. If that's the case, Rana has even more to gripe about :)

Rubu
April 21, 2005, 11:00 AM
just wondering, not to mean anything, but as fans we should consider each and every possibility.

shahrier nafis is the first cousin of faruk. does that has anything to do with the selection?

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2005, 11:01 AM
ok, now this is bullsh*t. a guy making his debut as a batter in england is already under a lot of pressure. fooling around with his batting order not only doesn't help that but also reduces his chances of performing. what in hell are the selectors trying to achieve? another al shahriar?

all the shahriars are cursed:(

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 4:06 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.

Shehwar
April 21, 2005, 11:11 AM
This may not be relevant but when we where playing together...u know 'KHAP' khelte jetam jokhon...tokhon Abir used to bat in the middle order and also used to bowl occasionally as well(Although with a suspect action..lolz!)........So he might not be all at sea in the middle order.....

mahbubH
April 21, 2005, 11:32 AM
Shahrier Nafees batted at the middle order for City club in most of the matches in the last Dhaka league (as I can remember). I think he is the better choice, even as a middle order, compared to other possibilities.

Fazal
April 21, 2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
shahrier nafis is the first cousin of faruk.

There must be something in the gene then. And its getting better, atleast I hope it does.

TheWatcher
April 21, 2005, 11:56 AM
Shahriar is an attacking bat. If he does not need too much time to settle, I don't see any problem his batting in the middle order. I can't recall any specific name, but many openers started their career this way.

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 4:57 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Ahmed_B
April 21, 2005, 12:21 PM
#Teast team leaves for England on 6 may
ODI replacements on 2 june

#Faruk's comment in NTV news about team selection: Specialist batsmen and bowlers were preferred over allrounders.

Sham
April 21, 2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by razabq
BD Khela story on team (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=13113&iCategoryID=1).

The most interesting part of this was Faruk stating that Shahriar Nafis had been selected to fill a middle order gap. If that's the case, Rana has even more to gripe about :)

Razab bhai, Rana as a specialist front-line batsman in England in early summer? I know you made a decent case for it in your front-page article, but that was always wishful thinking on your part! I also thought he would be in the team because we were working under a combined team assumption. But in a specialized test squad, we don't need a third spinner and I really can't see him batting in the top six. So, I don't think Rana has all that much to gripe about!

tnb
April 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
Excellent team selection. No bits and pieces. Thats the best part for me.

With N. Iqbal a certainty, I would like to see Shahriar and Golla opening in the practice matches. Nafis can come one down in those matches.

In the bowling department, would like to see Taposh being challenged by either Talha or Munir. For me Mashrafi and Rajib are certain. Taposh is somewhat like Agarkar, atleast one hit me ball in every over. Can't maintain the pressure. I would really like to see him being 'threatened' by the youngstars in the practice matches. He has the ability but sometime looks too lackluster.

I read a lot of things about the ineffectiveness of the spinners in England. But Giles success in the last few weeks might give our management new ideas. May be Enamul wont be a passenger only.

Good luck to the team, and good job Faruk and co.

Sham
April 21, 2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I have been keeping an eye on Giles as well and his success gives me hope that Rafique might end up being quite effective against the English batsmen. Giles and Rafique are similar sort of spinners. I am still not convinced that Enamul will be all that effective, but that is why we have the practice games. I am sure he will atleast play in one. However, as things stand, we will, and rightly so, go in with three pacers and one spinner.