PDA

View Full Version : Dav will be a "Test Match Summariser"

oracle
April 21, 2005, 12:57 PM
Source : Telegraph-UK
Extract of report, "Whatmore a wanted man as BBC come calling"-friday 21/04

Bangladesh's tour of England should do wonders for the fitness of their coach, Dav Whatmore. In an unusual move, Whatmore has agreed to be a Test Match Special summariser for the Tests at Lord's and Chester-le-Street. And at both venues, the dressing room and the broadcasting centre are at opposite ends of the ground.

"We'll have to be flexible because of his other duties, but it will be splendid to have someone in the camp," said TMS producer Peter Baxter. "I'm hoping he'll tell his players to listen in so he can change the batting order while on air."

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 5:59 PM GMT, by oracle.

oracle
April 21, 2005, 01:06 PM
This could be an audio option-then we will get to hear our coach!:)

Desh Bangla
April 21, 2005, 02:08 PM
Chester-le-Street , Steve Harmison just got a hat-trick for Durham there . Watch out guys .

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 7:42 PM GMT, by Desh Bangla.

Sham
April 21, 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm sorry, but isn't this highly unusual? I have never heard of a coach taking up a commentary job while his team is out on the field. Sure, he can go in and give an interview as other coaches do while a match is on, but this seems like he has committed himself to more than that. Strange.

Perhaps we are still not paying him enough!

Fazal
April 21, 2005, 02:21 PM
People do moonlighting in off days not while at work.
Dav Dadar Atoee Takar Dorker:-/

Desh Bangla
April 21, 2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Fazal
People do moonlighting in off days not while at work.
Dav Dadar Atoee Takar Dorker:-

haha it's funny again . It doesn't mean Dav will be a commentator in England as he said he gotta monitor in the tour to improve our teams achevements . If he does monitor around then he will be known about the conditions and also about the plans what our players have to know to give a fight in England .

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 12:34 AM GMT, by radicalsami.
Reason: quote fixed

Beamer
April 21, 2005, 02:50 PM
I don't like this one bit. How is he supposed to help/guide us when he will be sitting comfortably across the stand doing commentary for BBC? What kind of leverage does he have over the BCB- one might ask that question. Escape clause, signing deals for a media company while on job are examples of BCB bending over backwards to accomodate him. He is doing this purely for self-advertisement. Do not like this.

Spitfire_x86
April 21, 2005, 03:52 PM
Dav mamur beton mone hoi asolei kom :umm:

fab
April 21, 2005, 05:59 PM
Exactly what is a "Test Match Summeriser"? Is that just another term for commentator? Surely he won't be at the broadcast centre for the entire duration of the games! :wow:

Sami
April 21, 2005, 07:38 PM
by Test Match Summariser I am guessing it means he will provide match analysis at the end of the match or maybe at the day's play... u cant SUMMARISE a match as it goes on and I am sure BBC has enough sense in them to realise that a playing team's coach cannot be a commentator while the match is in progress. Eitherways a playing team member should not be invloved with media as there is always a possibility of strategies being given out although unintentionally.

lets wait and see what its all abt anyways. If its analysis of the match at the end of the match its ok, but could surely be done without.

Ehsan
April 21, 2005, 08:18 PM
I feel Dav is losing it, he is not concentrating much on his job now but rather on $$$.

Hasib
April 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
Im not saying if this is a good thing or a bad thing... lets wait for the tour to start 1st. plus... there is always a 1st to everything...

PoorFan
April 21, 2005, 09:03 PM
The word "Summarize" may suggest post match or post stump analysis. It could be every post session too. But the comment ( "I'm hoping he'll tell his players to listen in so he can change the batting order while on air." ) suggests that he will be in the box couple of time while the match is going on.

Last time as far I can remember ( champions trophy ), he left there for a commentator job while players headed back to home. This time he has gone too far from then. Cant help but think something wrong with his thought, something very unusual in our professional life. I wonder whether he discussed this BBC's matter with BCB in advance.

IanW
April 21, 2005, 09:53 PM
Oh crap.

I dont know about you guys, but every televised Australian rules match has short snatches of commentary by the coaching staff at quarter, half and three-quarter time.

It's about turning viewers into insiders.

He'll be able to do more to bring Bangladesh's cricket into the viewing public's eyes with a microphone than hiding away in the dressing room.

Ian Whitchurch

jabbar
April 21, 2005, 10:01 PM
good point IanW. I don't see much into this recent move by Dav, and will only become concerned if he spends extended preiods of time in the commentary box. I would definitely be worried if he was commentatin during the match...

aosaif
April 21, 2005, 10:16 PM
I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT "SUMMARISER" MEANS!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Desh Bangla
April 21, 2005, 10:44 PM
Dav can be a commentator which is better for us too in England caz he knows the ability of each player . Who else could be a better commentator in England to represent Bangladesh . It's not all about money as he said in the interview "The team is going Northen Hamisphere and that's not fair to leave the team at this satge" Don't see the other way of it ........ Think positive if he monitors then he can improve our team better to get more suggestions . Don't forget he is doing all these to make our team competitive as he said it's good if we can take 1 or 2 games in England . Everyone knows it won't be easy but not impossible .

fwullah
April 21, 2005, 11:13 PM
He'll be able to do more to bring Bangladesh's cricket into the viewing public's eyes with a microphone than hiding away in the dressing room.

Ian, you have just put my thoughts in your writing. This is exactly what I wanted to see after reading the first few replies.

Who is the best spokesman for Bangladesh in the commentary team? So far, we have got only two commentators, one of them is Shameem, who is not an International cricketer and another one is Atahar Ali Khan. They're OK in their commentary jobs, but if you have been listening to Atahar for quite some time, then you 'd notice that Atahar has his problems being a commentator and a national selector. Dav is a coach and a selector, too; but he's an outsider, a more 'grohonjogyo' person than Atahar to the general people of England.

And if this 'summariser' means not commentary, then its good, too. Have you seen Alistair Campbell, Andy Flower and some others' 'summarizing' for Cricinfo a few years' back? Those were great 'insights' into the national cricket team.

Only in our case, there is nobody in the national team equipped enough to do such 'summarizing', so let it be the coach, himself. So, why worry?

Besides, the thing that we're all fearing is that Dav will not concentrate on our team as much as we would like him to be - just think if we perform really really really poorly, the responsibility will be upto Whatmore to explain our poor performance - TO THE MEDIA., because he will still be our coach, and responsible for our performance, whether we perform well or not.

So it is in his best interest that he sees to it that our players play well.

PoorFan
April 22, 2005, 12:40 AM
Oh crap.... every televised Australian rules match has short snatches of commentary by the coaching staff at quarter, half and three-quarter time.

It's about turning viewers into insiders.

I rather want him to concentrate on his "coach job" and "with boys" in that crucial away match! He has been paid enough to coach the team, not to promote BD's cricket image on television as a commentator, let alone in a ongoing match on the field. Simply doesn't make sense to me, except some of his personal benefit perhaps. Besides we are talking about a minnow team like Bangladesh (not Australia), who need their coach at dressing room and talking to the players, not to a TV camera in a session break.

Besides, the thing that we're all fearing is that Dav will not concentrate on our team as much as we would like him to be - just think if we perform really really really poorly, the responsibility will be upto Whatmore to explain our poor performance - TO THE MEDIA., because he will still be our coach, and responsible for our performance, whether we perform well or not.

Responsibility remains with his coaching job, not with explaining to media for a poor result. He can explain to media after stumps or match as usual, what's wrong with that?

Shehwar
April 22, 2005, 01:33 AM
I don't like it ! What the HeLL is BCB doing...& what kind of rubbish crappy contract have they signed where he can talk about coaching India in 'NEAR FUTURE' and take up some other job like summarizing or woteva......I'd like to see the contract...must be full of flaws...!!!....:down:

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 6:35 AM GMT, by Shehwar.

Ahmed_B
April 22, 2005, 04:05 AM
I support IanW and fwullah's comments.

We probably got nothing to lose and maybe something to gain from this role of Dav. His presence will not only create scopes for the better exposure of BD team... but it may also neutralize the English Media's big mouth to a great extent !!

cricket_pagol
April 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
Good post by fwullah and IanW.

I will wait to see Dav in action as "Summeriser" before making any judgement. Let's not worry too much!

Orpheus
April 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
may also neutralize the English Media's big mouth to a great extent !!

how about silently with the bat and I don't mean hittting the crap out of english journalist but that would be fun to watch.....

bd_cricket
April 26, 2005, 04:24 PM
What More to see??

Now he signed the contract with BBC for the commentator's job in ENG-BAN series!!!!!!!

He seems not happy at all as BD coach.

Prothom Alo Link (http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2005-04-27)

Look at the 4th news from the top in that link.

bd_cricket
April 26, 2005, 04:26 PM
Sorry - thread created in wrong board. Can any moderator move this to Bangladesh cricket section?
Thanks

Desh Bangla
April 26, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hello mr_bd cricket Bangladesh never had a good commentator who ya expect to talk in England from us ? Atahar Ali khan ........ Bangali english to aar pommie ra bujhbo nah . So , it's a good move . They asked for a commentator but we can't provide noone .. Atahar is selector of bd team that's not his job to do the commentry in England . Atleast we will listen some English commentry with the knowledge of cricket not like the other commentators in bangladesh what they have now .

Edited on, April 26, 2005, 9:38 PM GMT, by Desh Bangla.

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 26, 2005, 06:43 PM
Well this is just too pathetic. This is simply not acceptable that a coach is going to commentate. I mean this is really not possible. you cant do two things at the same time. this is really something wrong going on. this is just a humiliation for bangladesh. and infront of the international media bangladesh cricket is just going to be a joke.

reyme
April 26, 2005, 06:52 PM
I highly doubt Dav will last for 2 more years. If he finds better opportunity/salary he will exit with exit clause or if he has no options, BD team will not get the best out of him. He is looking forward to move on, and there is no doubt anymore.

So BCB should start hunting for new coaches as Dav is hunting for a new one. Once we have 1/2 more coaches in hand either Dav will have no choice but to concentrate or will be shown the exit door by BCB.

incredible
April 26, 2005, 07:09 PM
well...
I think summerizer is not a bad thing end of the match... ..i think this is the same 2 expert and one commentator sits before prize giving in one day matches...i think that's what he'll do end of the day...(hopefully)

I hope BCB didn't do anything to piss him off... he wants to exit..mite be some reason... IN Bangladesh ..when u do well ur national hero...and if ur team under performs a lil bit...u r treated like sh*t .... this mite be good...give the guy a chance..and sometimes....there are other expert commentators in the commentary box...who'll always share their ideas with dave WhatMore...so that's not a bad thing....

relax guys ... just pray the team performs well

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 26, 2005, 07:09 PM
well i think BCB was actually in an awkward position. because the old contract was actually supposed to expire on April 30 which means that if Dav did not renew the contract he would not have to go with us to England which would have put us in the worst position. because it is not easy to go to england without a good coach. thats why BCB had no other choice but to renew him. but i think if that was not the case then i dont think BCB would have wanted to renew Whatmore knowing the situations that Whatmore is creating right now. and today in prothom alo I think it was Mahbub Anam who was saying that it is out of the coach code of conduct to tell to the media that he wanted to be another countries coach. and before signing with BBC he was even supposed to contact he board which ofcourse he did not because the board ofcourse would not have given the permission because it is just a nonsense to be a coach and a commentator at the same time. and they are saying that as the commentry box and the dressing room is exactly opposite of one another. dave would have probably have to give directions to his players in the microphone!!!!! i hope this wont happen to us. because this will be the last thing that bangladesh cricket lovers will expect from a high profile respected coach like Whatmore.

PoorFan
April 26, 2005, 09:14 PM
today in prothom alo I think it was Mahbub Anam who was saying that it is out of the coach code of conduct to tell to the media that he wanted to be another countries coach. and before signing with BBC he was even supposed to contact he board which ofcourse he did not because the board ofcourse would not have given the permission because it is just a nonsense to be a coach and a commentator at the same time.

That's what I thought, Whatmore didn't discussed BBC's offer with BCB in advance. Now it seems true.
BCB should fire him soon after the England tour or even before England tour, I am fine with that too.
I mean what different it could have make by now. Since he prefer to stay in press box, let him stay their permanently, no need to comeback to dressing room. Cant believe a person like him or a national coach behave such a manner with his won team.

Edited on, April 27, 2005, 2:15 AM GMT, by PoorFan.

Hasib
April 26, 2005, 09:22 PM
For those who r sayn Dav will be a comentator... how about u read the topic of the thread...geez...

CTazim
April 26, 2005, 09:23 PM
IanW and Fwullah both hit the bullseye!!

My thought precisely.

Azim

PoorFan
April 26, 2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Hasib
For those who r sayn Dav will be a comentator... how about u read the topic of the thread...geez...
What about this one.

http://www.iht.com/getina/files/242098.html

Beamer
April 26, 2005, 09:38 PM
I don't think firing Whatmore is an option right now for BCB, unless offcourse they have signed an "escape clause" with him, which I doubt very much. In clear terms : escape clause-ables BCB to fire him any time without paying for the remaining of the contract months. If we fire him now, we may have to compensate him for the amount of money he would have otherwise earned for his full tenure. The ball is clearly in his court as far as I can speculate reasonably, and he is taking full advantage of the situation. I think its unethical for him to express his desire to coach another team after he has signed his contract renewal. Working for BBC is another clear attempt on his part to advertise himself when he is duty bound professionally and morally to make himself available only to our national cricket team. He has done it without the knowledge of BCB as they don't read for themselves. Prothom-alo has to break the news to them. No self-respecting corporation would allow one of its employess to act in a manner that Whatmore has been conducting himself. I am sorry, I have lost a lot of respect for this guy. I only wonder what our cricketers think about this. Actually, they are behaving like professionals by not saying anything so long they are under contract of BCB and they are the ones upholding their code of conduct. Sadly, same can't be said about Whatmore.

bangla_amar
April 26, 2005, 10:33 PM
If summarizer means giving thoughts just end of the day, it is fine. But if it means considerable amount of time spent doing the commentary, then it sucks.

Now newspaper reports suggest that Whatmore kept BCB dark about the whole issue. That is really unprofessional. Whatmore still a paid employee of BCB and they have every right to know.

It really sucked that he showed his interest in Ind job even after the deal with Bangladesh is finalised.

Dav getting greedy!

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 26, 2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bangla_amar
If summarizer means giving thoughts just end of the day, it is fine. But if it means considerable amount of time spent doing the commentary, then it sucks.

Now newspaper reports suggest that Whatmore kept BCB dark about the whole issue. That is really unprofessional. Whatmore still a paid employee of BCB and they have every right to know.

It really sucked that he showed his interest in Ind job even after the deal with Bangladesh is finalised.

Dav getting greedy!

exactly. i really couldnt accept this from him. this is really unthinkable from a high profile person like him. he is not only putting us down but he should realize that he is actually putting himself down too.

fwullah
April 26, 2005, 11:54 PM
Whatmore kept BCB dark about the whole issue

'Ek hate tali baje na'.

Today's Prothom Alo said that Mahbub Anam is not available (probably out of the country?), in his long tenure, we have seen Ali Asghar Lobby to be not available most of the time (busy minding his business or other jobs), I'm not sure how much power our CEO Dudhia has over other BCB officials; and Faruque or Atahar are our national selectors - not the proper people for Whatmore to go and talk with them about Whatmore's commentary contract with BBC. In short, it tells me that it was simply a matter of misunderstanding. Why and how am I saying this? Because I know exactly what our own people are - no matter how 'shadhu' they appear to be, they're bengalis just like us and we all know that 'mismanagement' is a part and parcel of us.

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 27, 2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by fwullah

Whatmore kept BCB dark about the whole issue

'Ek hate tali baje na'.

Today's Prothom Alo said that Mahbub Anam is not available (probably out of the country?), in his long tenure, we have seen Ali Asghar Lobby to be not available most of the time (busy minding his business or other jobs), I'm not sure how much power our CEO Dudhia has over other BCB officials; and Faruque or Atahar are our national selectors - not the proper people for Whatmore to go and talk with them about Whatmore's commentary contract with BBC. In short, it tells me that it was simply a matter of misunderstanding. Why and how am I saying this? Because I know exactly what our own people are - no matter how 'shadhu' they appear to be, they're bengalis just like us and we all know that 'mismanagement' is a part and parcel of us.

wow that was too much too attack. quite aggressive. shunte kharap lagleo beparta shotto. i was thinking about the same thing. but didnt want to mention it. because i know someone will mention this. because we all know Lobby. a big politician today. well i am not complaining about his business. my point is if he is a businessman then please leave our cricket. if you can do two things at a time then why r u complaining when whatmore wants to do two things at a time. there is always something fishy in the BCB. because i have always heard the same thing "we will report this after person x comes back". but excuse me why is person x abroad? i dont think BCB has other branches eleswhere that he was to go and look after that office too. so yes there is something going on. ak hate tali baje na. it is very true.

Rubayed
April 27, 2005, 02:38 AM
i agree with fwullah and FRB.

cricket_pagla
April 27, 2005, 08:47 AM
It'll be grt 2 c.. Dav as a Analyser!

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 27, 2005, 09:17 AM
well this logically doesnt make sense. because as a coach he should be talking on our side even if we perform well as a coach his job is to point out the positive parts we gained. but as a summariser i think he should be neutral about the game. so i dont understand how he is going to be neutral and also at the same talk on our behalf.