PDA

View Full Version : Whatmore's Interview with BBC

Ehsan
April 21, 2005, 10:09 PM
Folks follow the link below to hear what our coach has to say after signing in the contract with BCB. Its a good piece!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/default.stm#

Ehsan
April 21, 2005, 10:19 PM
BBC also says that "there is a get-out clause in his new contract". To me, this sounds very cheap! And this certainly shows DW's heart is not with us anymore! I would like BCB to start their hunt for a NEW COACH.

aosaif
April 21, 2005, 10:23 PM
This is all very sad.....but its part of being a pro. I would have been ok with his exit from our cricket if we were pondering over these matters after the england tour. This tour is the most important in the history of our cricket.

TigerFan
April 21, 2005, 10:27 PM
I couldn't smile, actually!

fwullah
April 21, 2005, 10:42 PM
"I went in with my eyes open and I feel the real improvement will take a little bit longer than perhaps I first expected.

Did you see the above words by Whatmore here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/bangladesh/4469217.stm)?

TigerFan
April 21, 2005, 10:59 PM
Whatmore has been Bangladesh coach since June 2003 and under his tutelage they won their first Test series, beating Zimbabwe 1-0 in January this year, and have also recorded a one-day win over India in Calcutta.

Find the mistake in the above paragraph from the article Fwullah provided.

PoorFan
April 21, 2005, 11:17 PM
Dav Whatmore is not a man who likes to leave jobs half done.
What about his "India syndrome"!:P

fwullah
April 21, 2005, 11:30 PM
Calcutta = Dhaka

Shehwar
April 22, 2005, 01:16 AM
[i]Although Whatmore has signed a two-year deal, the chance of becoming India coach is still a big attraction and he is not ruling it out in the near future.

Utter rubbish ! Why the heck did we sign a cotract with this guy.....His soul is in India !!!

Desh Bangla
April 22, 2005, 01:18 AM
He said in the interview it's not fair to leave a team like this when they are going to "Northern Hamisphere" so , it's not all about money it's the greatness of him . He also said if possible we can pinch a game or two . It's hard but not impossible .

abu_akif
April 22, 2005, 05:59 AM
Hey guys, how much of hose statements are from DW himself. Lot of those controversial sentences is not written under any quotation. So, leave him alone.. He really made us proud, we should not be so harsh to him..

Fazal
April 22, 2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by abu_akif
Hey guys, how much of hose statements are from DW himself. Lot of those controversial sentences is not written under any quotation. So, leave him alone.. He really made us proud, we should not be so harsh to him..

You have a good point. I don't think nobody is denying his past contribution. People are relieved that he is signed at last. However you add all the bits and pieces all together... thry to add those up.. and suddenly some of us have a bad after-taste in our mouth. That’s all.

This is a msg board for BD fans and we are here to present different view points related to BD cricket. And these kind of discussion should not be be discouraged unless you feel like Dav is god and beyond criticism.

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 2:13 PM GMT, by Fazal.

cricket_pagol
April 22, 2005, 11:23 AM
[i]Although Whatmore has signed a two-year deal, the chance of becoming India coach is still a big attraction and he is not ruling it out in the near future.

This is just an interpretation by BBC, geared towards the Indian audience. I believe that once whatmore signs the contract, he will work for BD cricket wholeheartedly. There is nothing wrong in considerng other job offers when he was renewing the contract. I think we are a bit harsh on him based on interpretation of indirect evidence and out of context quotes!!!!!

Orpheus
April 22, 2005, 12:21 PM
Whatmore is fat. Fat ppl should be poor, so they can starve to fitness. Next thing you know, he will asking for an equivalent salary for his wife.

al
April 22, 2005, 12:32 PM
NTV reported he got 20% raise. that's pretty good. I only 5% last year

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 5:33 PM GMT, by al.

Fazal
April 22, 2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by al
NTV reported he got 20% raise. that's pretty good. I only 5% last year

Then tell your boss, you are considering to apply for the Indian coach's job. Who know you may also get 20% raise.

But if he fires you don't blame me. After all not every one is as nice as My. Lobby.

al
April 22, 2005, 12:41 PM
Time for carrier change!!!!!! haha

allrounder
April 22, 2005, 04:12 PM
Dav gave first test win, first test series win, odi win against India, improved BD team after world cup collaspe. so he got 20% raise..

al got 5% raise - just for showing up at work for a year. :P:P:P:P

tanvir_nus
April 22, 2005, 06:05 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the interview with BBC and the press conference gives the impression that Whatmore is forced to coach us eventhough he would love to go over to india and coach them. Things like "it would not be fair and nice to leave now in front of the England tour" and no things like I love to coach Bangladesh speaks a lot of his mind. That's a disgrace because that brings us quite down.

One thing I wanna say is, there is too much fuss bout whatmore. No doubt he is good, but our recent successes isn't necessarily solely because of him. It's a combination of many factors like a dependent captain who has a very good personality and positive and is also the best batsman, and the players that were teenager are starting to perform with more maturity and experience and also increased competition for places in the team. We were flopping once only because that was the end era of senior players and the young players were just starting to replace them and it takes time to come good.

It seems from the comments from commentators and newsreports that the credit goes solely to Whatmore WHICH IS NOT THE CASE. I do admire this guy but I think if we pay to much importance to him and not our team efforts and talent then we have to bring ourselves down again and AGAIN.

:down:

TigerFan
April 22, 2005, 06:34 PM
kee ar kora bhai!!!!!

Zobair
April 22, 2005, 06:35 PM
I think we have delved on this issue for long enough. Lets give it a rest. Let the coach do his job, and let the boys do what they have to do. Really, we bengalis seem adept at making mountains out of molehills.

We have a series coming up. Let us focus our energies on something positive, rather than dwell on such miserable lose-lose dead-end issues.

Let your creative juices flow. Lets talk about our expectations on this tour. Who do we expect to really rise and shine! There are tonnes of topics we can talk about. These are exciting times. Our maiden tour of England! Come on! Let us get it on :)

mahbubH
April 23, 2005, 02:40 AM
Here is another short article on DW
###############################

Whatmore has get-out clause to get in

MUMBAI, APRIL 22: He may have signed a new two-year contract with the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) but that doesn’t mean Dav Whatmore isn’t in the race to replace John Wright as India’s coach. A ‘get out’ clause in the contract with BCB means Whatmore still remains a contender for the post.

Speaking to The Indian Express from Chittagong, Whatmore said: ‘‘I don’t think there is anything new in this. Every contract has a get-out clause.’’ This, in short, could mean that the coach is still interested in the Indian job.

Admitting he was still ‘‘very interested’’ in the job, Whatmore said: ‘‘BCCI are still deciding and if they are still interested in me, I am keen too.’’

The BCB, however, believes that Whatmore would not desert them midway even if he gets the India offer. Speaking from Dhaka, media committee chairman Reazuddin-Al-Mamoon said that it was not in the nature of Whatmore to desert the ship. ‘‘I have not gone through the contract in detail. But knowing the man as I do, I don’t think he will take such a drastic step mid-way,’’ said Mamoon.

Meanwhile, BCCI had earlier this week indicated that the process to choose the new Indian coach would begin in a week’s time.

Of the other two contenders — Greg Chappell and Tom Moody — Moody is also currently on contract as Director of Cricket with the English county side Worcestershire.

But his contract too has a ‘get-out’ clause in case he wants to take up an international offer.

The only free candidate for the moment is former Australian captain Greg Chappell.

Desh Bangla
April 23, 2005, 02:46 AM
ya should stop complaining now ,ok . Already had enough of him . First complained he has to stay with us now why he stays with us ? That's all crap . Stop complaining like this . Listen the interview carefully he says : It's not fair to leave a team like this when they are touring to the Northern Hamisphere . Ya know what does it mean ? It doesn't mean all about money it means the greatness of him . :great:

Edited on, April 23, 2005, 7:49 AM GMT, by Desh Bangla.

cricket_pagla
April 23, 2005, 05:34 AM
again DW?:down: