PDA

View Full Version : Reflecting on today's events

aosaif
April 21, 2005, 10:59 PM
Ok. So we were all over the fact that Dav signed with us for another two years. The today BCCB made public the golden list that we've all been waiting to see. After selecting the team, us fans had a few things to say about the inclusion of mushfiq, anwar and talha. Mushfiq's includion has reined in many positive responses, but we are all abuzz pondering over whethere or not faruk & co. made a mistake including anwar and talha. Ok, I admit it, I was skeptical at first, but the McInnes the Man told me that it was a good decision, so I thought, "ok, if the U-19 Master says it's good, then it's all good with me." But like all Bangalees, I am obsessed with mathematics. My father has belted math into my head with a belt made of pythagoras fibres. So what do I do? I go to Cricinfo and check out the domestic league stats on anwar and talha. Needless to say they are disappointing and that they've played very few matches. I know anwar was away at the Duleep Disaster, but where was talha? Somebody educate me. I hate seeing Alamgir Kabir's name right up there with Khaled Mahmud and Hasibul Hossain. Why is it that the people we have picked, just are not the best in domestic cricket? Don't get me wrong, I don't want kabir, mahmud and hasibul in our team, but I just wish things made a bit more sense in this world. Things just don't add up.

And guess what? Da man, yes da man, whatmore, has a "get-outta-here-if-india-wants" clause. Just the way to sour down by strawberry sundae. Oooh, what's that I hear? Dav is gonna go do commentary on the England tour? Sounds ridikulus is all I gotta say.

For some reason what started out to be an awesome day for us, has a had a few too many twists, and the smile that started my day has now been contorted into something rather unrecognizable. What are your thoughts on todays events?

aosaif
April 21, 2005, 11:02 PM
I'd like to apologize for the blizzard or spelling errors in my post. I can spell, Honestly! But I was writing this while talking to my friend who can't stop talking about the drunk idiot down the hall.

Shehwar
April 22, 2005, 02:43 AM
well written......I have to agree with most of ur comments....specially the part about our celebrated coach.....and i know ppl are gonna jump all over me once i say this..but actually....Hasibul Hossain wud have been a better choice than Anwar...He has performed tremendously this season and the last season as well....And we all know under which circumstances he had to play that 3rd ODI against India...cheers....

Sham
April 22, 2005, 08:03 AM
Yep, I am going to jump all over you. If Shanto ever makes it back into the Test team, I am going to bomb the BCB. In his life, has he ever bowled an over that didn't include two leg-stump half-volleys? I don't think so. In Bangladesh, for some reason, batsmen play him with respect and he gets away with his rubbish. Anywhere else, he is going to get murdered. He wasn't even good enough for international cricket at his prime, why are we even talking about him now? Picking him for the third match against India was stupidity I agree, but I don't think he would have done much better if he had a one month conditioning camp before that either.

Mahmood
April 22, 2005, 08:36 AM
Talha is effective in tests, and is taken if just in case the strike bowlers need rest/ lack form.

However, I was never impressed with Anwar, and probably will never be. I don't understand how he got in the team. Nazmul should have been picked instead.

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 1:37 PM GMT, by Rajputro.

Rubu
April 22, 2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Sham
If Shanto ever makes it back into the Test team, I am going to bomb the BCB.

test team only not ODI? anyway, take me with you when u go.

me too did not like the inclusion of anwar and talha. as i explained somewhere the reason is shuffling. in my opinion, you can change a player of national team and get someone from outside based on only three thing. injury, long term out of form and extra ordinary performance by the outside player. well, none of these happened in case of changing nazmul for talha or munir. and thats what made me mad.

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 1:41 PM GMT, by AgentSmith.

Sham
April 22, 2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by AgentSmith
Originally posted by Sham
If Shanto ever makes it back into the Test team, I am going to bomb the BCB.

test team only not ODI? anyway, take me with you when u go.

You bet!

I have to say, your above argument about Talha or Monir replacing Nazmul would have worked if Nazmul was a member of our Test team. But, he wasn't a regular in our Test team to begin with, so people from outside coming in and kicking him out doesn't arise. Nazmul has played in only one Test match, where he took 2 wickets. Didn't bowl too badly, but didn't really trouble the batsmen either. Talha on the other hand has played 7 tests and taken 14 wickets and has troubled top class batsmen in Sri Lanka and South Africa.

As for Monir, I have never actually seen him play, don't know if you guys have, so for me, being impressed or not impressed doesn't arise. Since the selectors have decided to give him another chance, I think we ought to as well. If I do get to see him at Fenner's, I'll let you guys know what he is all about!

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 2:16 PM GMT, by Sham.

Locutus
April 22, 2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Rajputro
Talha is effective in tests, and is taken if just in case the strike bowlers need rest/ lack form.

However, I was never impressed with Anwar, and probably will never be. I don't understand how he got in the team. Nazmul should have been picked instead.

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 1:37 PM GMT, by Rajputro.

Nazmul got smashed against Zimbabwe even though he picked up some wickets but look at the runs he gave up per over.
As of Talha he is not much of a better bowler than Anwar. Anwar has better line, length and variation that Talha at this time.

Tokai
April 22, 2005, 12:01 PM
pray for this anwar kid that he comes up with some good shows in those practice matches he plays. otherwise everyone gonna be putting a "j" ahead of his name.

aosaif
April 22, 2005, 05:28 PM
Someone in another forum suggested that the fact that india wants dav shows just how much the bangladesh team have improved during his rein as coach. It's a really comforting thought, but of course, dav leaving is not so great to think about.

shaoun
April 22, 2005, 06:55 PM
NO MORE HASIBUL. he has done enough for our country but i think his time is up. we are getting young bowlers in our team. shahadat talha nazmul are in the team. and ofcourse we have taposh and masrafee. so we cannot bring hasibul based on his performance in NCL. and whats so great about his performance in NCL anyways. alamgir kabir is the highest wicket taker in the NCL rightnow. so how can anyone consider hasibul hussien if we can consider anyone it should be alamgir kabir. but no need for him either. i dont think anwar will play in england he is probably going to practice with the team. i dont know why they are spenting the ticket money for him. bc i am sure he wont get to play a game unless all the fast bowlers are injured.

aosaif
April 22, 2005, 09:10 PM
Yo People!

Look. Hasibul Hossain will never play for Bangladesh anymore! Period. But please don't degrade his name, as he used to head our bowling attack for many years.

What my point is is that i just WISH that talha and anwar had performed in the national league so that the stats back up their selection for the national squad. I WISH things made more sense - basically.

fwullah
April 22, 2005, 10:43 PM
pray for this anwar kid that he comes up with some good shows in those practice matches he plays. otherwise everyone gonna be putting a "j" ahead of his name.

Not talking seriously here, I think that with all our euphoria with Tapash the fittest (& experienced), Mashrafee the magnificient, Shahadat the cheeta (fast like Mashrafee); Anwar Hossain or Talha Jubair might rise to the occassion somehow and prove us wrong.

Just a speculation, nothing else.

Shehwar
April 23, 2005, 06:44 AM
I wudn't mind that one bit......

aosaif
April 23, 2005, 09:48 AM
coach mcinnes said anwar can swing the ball now.....unlike the time he was in australia where he was more of one-dimensional bowler.

coach also said that anyone who knows anything about bowling should know that talha is a class act.

I', sure u all know this. just wanted to repeat it here since its relevant to the thread.