PDA

View Full Version : Is Twenty20 a good concept?

jabbar
April 22, 2005, 01:04 AM
Personally, I think it's great. To be honest, unless I am following one of the teams I am watching, I get incerdibly bored by cricket these days. This wasn't always the case, but in recent times it has. I live in Australia, so perhaps Australia's monotonous dominance of the game has something to do with it...

Although it become a little "hit and giggle" at times, I still think there is method in teh madness somewhere in teh game (from the few matches I have witnessed.

I wonder how BD would perform in Twenty20....?

Spitfire_x86
April 22, 2005, 02:10 AM
IMO, 20-20 is a horrible concept, at least for International Cricket.

BD would get slaughtered if they play any 20-20 international match

ajithlalm
April 22, 2005, 09:17 AM
I like 20-20 cricket. It is a good concept.. Maximum enteratainment in minimum period. I hope someday a 20-20 World Cup will also come.

20-20 have attracted more crowds in domestic cricket. Also 20-20 cricket have attracted more crowd to the international cricket ODI.

Due to increase in ODI the scoring rate of test have react 3 to 3.5. If 20-20 cricket is increased more scoring rate will come in ODI. Also the batsman will try to invent more technique and the bowlers also will try to match the batting. So more quality in cricket will arise.

jabbar
May 4, 2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86

Are you basing your opinion purely on BD's likely performance in 20-20, or are you speaking in general? :info:

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 4, 2005, 12:34 AM
this is kind of like 6 a side match.

Spitfire_x86
May 4, 2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by jabbar
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86

Are you basing your opinion purely on BD's likely performance in 20-20, or are you speaking in general? :info:
A bit of both. What's so great about watching too many 4s and 6s hitted anyway? And 20-20 will degrade bowling quality even more, since their only job will be giving as few runs as possible.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 4, 2005, 12:48 AM
yes,
this is just a batting dominance game. yes it is like too see 4's and 6. but at one stage it will get boring and be like baseball. i think ODI is the best because if you pretty much everything of it. in the first 15 over there is a chance where u can see 4's and 6's and then u can also see at the same time some bowling dominance.

Spitfire_x86
May 4, 2005, 10:59 AM
IMO, Tests are much more interesting and enjoyable than ODI in these days

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 4, 2005, 01:08 PM
umm
well again it depends on which teams are playing. according to me it is much more interesting to watch ODI if pakistan, india or srilanka ar playing but if SA or WI or England are playing than tests are better.

mwrkhan
May 4, 2005, 01:31 PM
I have always preferred test cricket to one day cricket, in fact I am not really bothered by one day cricket that much anymore, way too much is played.

In the recent tour of SA, England won the test series and SA won the ODI series. Do you think England would like to swap results?

Do you think Pakistan would have considered their tour to India successful had they won the ODI series only but failed to draw the test series.?

Kenya has ODI status (BD also used to have ODI status only). Are they satisfied with that?

Given a choice would any team prefer to win the world cup or be a successful test team? Would England prefer to win the world cup (finalists three times, no wins) or the Ashes?

chyicarus
May 4, 2005, 02:53 PM
I think ODI and 20-20 and other forms like double-wicket, 6-a-side cricket etc are all for entertainment value only. Not everyone in this world has the patience to watch a match for 5 days which ends up in a draw like me.
However, I think it is spoiling Test cricket as nowdays cricket is becoming a batsman driven game. Bowlers are getting whacked constantly and not all bowlers have the venom for too long.
Thus i think it is good for the supporters but poor for the actual cricketers(traditional).
In 20-20 we should be doing well- just like Pakistan excels in these form of games. This is basically very related to the "oli goli", "hartal cricket" that we play, where the bowlers contain the batsmen and the batsmen tries to whack the ball as hard as they can or in other words "ball-er shoota bair korey"!

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 4, 2005, 07:25 PM
kothata thiki bolechen kintu apni. ashole akhon shob kichui kintu akhon commercial basis a hochhe. apni akta ODI a joto dorshok paben toto dorshok kintu test match a pabenna. abar jodi akta batting pitch banan tahole kintu dorshokra moja pabe beshi. abar jodi bowling pitch hoi tahole kintu jara khela dekhte ashbe tara kintu khub akta moja pabe na. ai jonno kintu akhon batsmanderke beshi dam dewa hoi, ebong batsman kendrik khela beshi hoye thake. jeta kintu khelar man niche namiye dichhe bole ami mone kori. karon cricket kintu khali batsmander khela na cricket kintu batsman ebong boler dujoneri khela.
akta baseball match a pitcher ar theke batter beshi gurutto pai ai jonno pitcher ar dam kom. tobe cricket kintu akdom bhinno. ekhane kintu dujoneri bhumika shoman. ebong batting bowling dutoi kintu durokomer art. she jonno kintu ak dik theke bolte gele test cricket kintu onek uchu maner. tobe humm shomoyer karone kintu onekai dekhte chai na. besto ai jibon shobar. shobai chai dhum dharakka kichu choi char ar mar dekhe khela shesh kore dite. jeta dekhte bhalo lage. kintu cricket ar bhobishhoter jonno bhalo na bole kintu ami mone kori. dannabad.

Fazal
May 5, 2005, 02:44 PM
I like Twenty20 and its a good news for cricket lovers in USA. Twenty20 has more chance to florish in USA than multi-day game or ODI.

May be it wll replace ODI.

jabbar
May 23, 2005, 11:07 PM
Americans don't have the patience for even one-day cricket - they collectively have the attention-span of a 5 year old

:cool2:

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 24, 2005, 06:36 PM
there is no point of destroying the main objective of a game so that other countries would play. they can be happy with baseball and basketball. there is no reason to change to rules of cricket to make americans play. this is not like something really commercial or a big business that we have to decrease our price to attract other customers or have to have something like buy one get one free so that people will get interested in it.
20-20 can never replace odi or even test. because at one stage i am sure people will get bored and players will loose the interest of playing it especially bolers. it

Akib
May 24, 2005, 08:11 PM
I like 20-20 but like FaltuRidwanBhai i also think it shouldnt replace ODIs or Tests. 20-20 is for entertainment and is also like a step for new fans to get used ot cricket. It is good for those in North America as we don't have the whole day to watch a match.

Gilchrist
May 25, 2005, 02:14 AM
No tweny-20 is not a good concept. I would much rather prefer a boring(to some people) test match than a twenty-20 slog match.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 26, 2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Gilchrist
No tweny-20 is not a good concept. I would much rather prefer a boring(to some people) test match than a twenty-20 slog match.

exactly. cricket is a game for gentleman. and gentlemanra shob kisu dhire shusthe kore like test match dhire shusthe 5 dine hoi.

jabbar
May 26, 2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Gilchrist

That's rich coming from someone by the name of "Gilchrist" ;)