PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: Give a new challenge to Dav Whatmore

fwullah
April 23, 2005, 12:32 PM
I am speculating: Dav Whatmore has lost his interest to be Bangladesh's coach, that is why he's using the Indian coaching job (after he might go after Sri Lanka's coaching job, after that, he might go after South Africa's coaching job) as an excuse, because he cannot tell Habibul Bashar, Khaled Mashud, Rajin Saleh, Md. Ashraful, Mashrafee Bin Murtoza and all the others that 'listen, you guys are rubbish players, you are never gonna win a match in the next couple of years besides a win here and there against ICC Associates, frankly speaking, this is not an honorable job anymore.'

Since Dav Whatmore can't tell his students - the BD national team that they're a poor team face to face, that's why he's been making all the comments about going for the Indian job, (or tells them directly or indirectly that he's after a better job) and hence, the get out clause in the contract.

So if my speculation is correct, what should the national players themselves do?

Or, in our case, what could be the things that would interest Dav Whatmore to keep his job as Bangladesh's coach? Or, better, what could be the things that we'd do in future, we could attract high profile coaches like Tom Moody, Greg Chappell, Sir Viv Richards?

Spitfire_x86
April 23, 2005, 03:57 PM
I am speculating: Dav Whatmore has lost his interest to be Bangladesh's coach, that is why he's using the Indian coaching job (after he might go after Sri Lanka's coaching job, after that, he might go after South Africa's coaching job) as an excuse, because he cannot tell Habibul Bashar, Khaled Mashud, Rajin Saleh, Md. Ashraful, Mashrafee Bin Murtoza and all the others that 'listen, you guys are rubbish players, you are never gonna win a match in the next couple of years besides a win here and there against ICC Associates, frankly speaking, this is not an honorable job anymore.'
At least then I could respect him for his honesty. At this moment I think Greenidge was lot better than this man.

I can give him a new challenge. If Indian Board doesn't select him, then he should work for us at half salary till the new contact expires.

Mueid
April 23, 2005, 04:40 PM
[quoteI can give him a new challenge. If Indian Board doesn't select him, then he should work for us at half salary till the new contact expires. [/quote]
lol, i like that!

Navarene
April 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
After reading all his hue and cry to become the Indian coach, it is evident that he purposely plays with BCB and it's newly born Test nation. Does he not have any work ethic?

I wonder if this "get out" clause was still existed in the previous contract. If not, it opens the pandora's box about his real face. I can't blame BCB since they have supposed to had no other choice but to accept this new clause in the latest 2 years contract. BCB have become the bunny of Whatmore. He just took the advantage of the whole scenario which is really unethical and uncalled for.

PoorFan
April 23, 2005, 08:27 PM
To give a new challenge to Dav Whatmore??? I am not sure about players, but I have a better idea what we fan can do. Lets we all do a big favor for him. Lets gather all of our fans signature and send a full hearted request/appeal to BCCI to give him his dream job. After all he has done a lot for us and we are all grateful. So may be by this way, we can pay him back a little. Besides, coaching India will be a "new and tough challenge" for Dav Whatmore as well. Don't like it!? OK, just forget it.

Sham
April 23, 2005, 09:26 PM
Not a bad idea. Anything to help out the great man!

Haradhon
April 23, 2005, 11:05 PM
[i]that 'listen, you guys are rubbish players, you are never gonna win a match in the next couple of years besides a win here and there against ICC Associates, frankly speaking, this is not an honorable job anymore.'

Gordon Greenidge was axed for saying this, remember! Can we, as fans, say to our players on their face - "they are rubbish!"

fwullah
April 23, 2005, 11:14 PM
Correct, though the exact words were not like that; it was Gordon's disagreement with the board about our players' capability in playing test cricket at the time that helped the BCB to fire Greenidge.

TigerFan
April 23, 2005, 11:17 PM
demote him to under 19 team

fwullah
April 23, 2005, 11:17 PM
If Indian Board doesn't select him, then he should work for us at half salary till the new contact expires.

Another speculation: Dav Whatmore is India's number 4 choice after Greg Chappell, Tom Moody and Geoff Marsh - if they prefer an Australian coach, that is.

Desh Bangla
April 23, 2005, 11:19 PM
Every contract has a get-out clause according to Indian Express so , it doesn't mean he would go for India . Now stop talking rubbish about him .

Read those stories whatmore not even mentioned as an Indian Coach .

http://www.hindustantimes.com/htcricket/14_1332289.htm

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=35609

Edited on, April 24, 2005, 4:24 AM GMT, by Desh Bangla.

TigerFan
April 23, 2005, 11:21 PM
I lost all my trust over whatmore. He might not be the same coach the first time the way he was.

mahbubH
April 23, 2005, 11:48 PM
DW should not wear BD shirt till India decide their coach.

Rabz
April 24, 2005, 08:10 AM
i didnt care if he left BD before signing the new contract...thats understandable...who woudnt wanna coach indian team...but if he leaves now...it would be very unprofessional...u just dont sign a new contract and leave next week...

and if he is way too occupied with his coaching future with india and other nations..im starting to doubt his commitment to our team....

he is a great coach..and did help us a lot ..and thanks to him for that...

also ..if he leaves at the beginning of what would be our hardest tour ever...(mind..we never played a tri nation with the likes of AUS & ENG before)...i wonder what would happen to the morals of our own players..who would feel like being abondoned by thier own father like figure....

but then again...it could be all indian media propaganda..to mess up our preparation for the tour...mind it ...they were not very happy when we beat them last december...

they (the indians) like us..and support us.. but as long we are behind them...and always under them...and they calling the shots..and we are saying "yes sir", "yes sir"

TheWatcher
April 24, 2005, 06:05 PM
Does anyone wonder why coaches like Whatmore are so vital for subcontinent countries? Why can't we hand the job over to Sir Viv, Wasim Akram, or Miandad- people who have excellent knowledge of the game?

I am sure some of you know better, but here is my funny theory:

Whatmore is not a great tactician like John Buchanan, he was dependent on Ranatunga a lot to figure out game plans. That is why he had less success with post Ranatunga era Srilanka. But what is unique about him is he is a great motivational person who can guide a player throughout his career, build him up as a competitive cricketer.

In Australia, the process of making a player is done in their district and state level, they don't need coaches like Whatmore to do that in international level. In our country, BKSP does the first part of the process. After that you either throw him in the national team, or loose him in domestic circuit (have anyone heard the name of Ashiqur Rahman or Rubayet Haque recently?). We don't have any structure in our domestic circuit to build a player, no NCL team has a qualified coach with them. Talented players like Opee or Hannan can play domestic cricket for life, whether performing well or not, but they have very little chance of fixing their technical flaws (though it has to do a lot with quality of pitch and bowlers). All we can hope from our domestic leagues is to spot a potential player in form, throw him in the national team, let Whatmore take care of him from that point.

We don't even try to change this trend. Someone said Bulbul got a coaching job in Australia. Did BCB help him anyway to get the job? I may be wrong but I don't think so. We have players like Akram Khan, Athahar Ali, Durjoy (in near future Sujon) who with some training can be excellent coaches for divisional sides. Do we have any plan for them?

Sorry for writing an essay.

Edited on, April 24, 2005, 11:14 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Sham
April 24, 2005, 06:30 PM
I think you are onto something there Watcher. Your theory makes perfect sense to me. Can I tempt you into expanding the post into a full-fledged article for our front page?

Akib
April 24, 2005, 06:59 PM
You have a very good point there Watcher. We do need better coaches in domestic levels. I also want to add that more cricket programs in school, when they are younger will help give the players more talent.

insideedge
April 25, 2005, 01:25 AM
A national coach is not there to work out on the technical flaws of the players. A national player is supposed to have these flaws ironed out at the formative stage. A national coach is there to chalk out strategies. Whatmore succeeded with Sri Lanka because he had technically proficient players( Jayasuriya, Kaluwitharana) to carry out his strategy of pinch hitting in the first 15 overs which caught their opponents by surprise in the 1996 world cup. They also had a great batsman in Aravinda De silva at the form of his life as well as Ranatunga and Gurusinha.

The batting strength at his disposal is of popgun variety in comparison. Even if he has any great strategies up his sleeve, Whatmore cannot get them implemented through the BD batsmen.

Secondly, Whatmore is acting as a motivator for the team. But then, motivation cannot result in improved performance unless the motivatees are technically well equipped to do so.

On the evidence so far, there does not appear much signs of it. Let us not cite victories against Zimbabwe and an ODI victory against India as signs of improvement because they will count for nothing when BD tours England and faces upto the no. 2 test team in tests followed by Australia and England in ODIs.

chinaman
April 25, 2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by insideedge
Let us not cite victories against Zimbabwe and an ODI victory against India as signs of improvement ..

What are these then, accidents? Just curious.

insideedge
April 25, 2005, 01:43 AM
Zimbabwe was a very weak team. And India cannot seem to do much right in ODI these days.

Fazal
April 25, 2005, 05:21 PM
How about working on his Waistline.

TheWatcher
April 25, 2005, 06:08 PM
:mad: Please don't give him anymore challenge. He is already facing enough challenge to get the Indian job.

Edited on, April 25, 2005, 11:12 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 25, 2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by TigerFan
I lost all my trust over whatmore. He might not be the same coach the first time the way he was.

ji bhai,
apnar ai kothar jonno kintu apnake dosh dewa jai na. ashole moner moddhe amaro kothai jani akta khut khut bhab thekai gelo. mone hochhe kothai jeno akta ondhokar tariye berachhe. hoito eta shobi illusion. ebong asha korbo shetai. kintu mon jeno kichutai mante chachhe na.

allrounder
April 26, 2005, 01:01 PM
I hope this is not old news for the forum.

<b>Bangladesh coach Whatmore turns commentator for BBC</b>

Watmore signed a deal with the BBC to do Test match commentary during Bangladesh's forthcoming England tour.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board is not likely to object to Whatmore's desire to commentate on television, it is learnt here.

In an unusual move, Whatmore has agreed to be a "Test Match Special summariser" for the Tests at Lord's (from May 26 to 30) and Chester-le-Street (from June 3 to 7). TMS producer Peter Baxter has coordinated the BBC's cricket coverage from every one of the Test-playing nations, with the exception of Bangladesh, and now Whatmore is in their panel.

Whatmore will need to tell his boys to listen to his views on air if the batting order needs to be changed because at both venues the broadcasting boxes are at the opposite ends of the ground!

http://www.iht.com/getina/files/242098.html

Looks like he is going all out to make lots of money.

Edited on, April 26, 2005, 6:01 PM GMT, by allrounder.

mwrkhan
April 26, 2005, 01:13 PM
It is actually.... :)

AsifTheManRahman
April 26, 2005, 01:33 PM
you can never be fast enough for this forum :)

Desh Bangla
April 26, 2005, 01:37 PM
Dean Jones sent his resume to BCCI already according to "Indian Express" and also "Steve Waugh" in the run as well . He likes to be Indian coach as well . So , we don't have to worry , Whatmore staying with us for sure ....

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 26, 2005, 02:36 PM
well i have learnt from previous threads that there is a relationship between marriage and performance of a cricket player. just wondering does this relationship also exits between marriage and performance of a coach. if it exists then i guess dean jones should marry right now or he might not be able to get the job.

Desh Bangla
April 26, 2005, 02:38 PM
One article about Dean Jones sent his resume to BCCI and "Steve Waugh" it's all in cricinfo and rest of the others in Indian Newspapers . Hindustan Times or Indian Express ......Watch How many of them on the run to Become Indian Coach .. So , whatmore has no chance .... lol .......
http://www.expressindia.com/cricket/fulleistory.php?content_id=28817
http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/207398.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/cricket/other_international/india/4473281.stm
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=35609
http://www.chennaionline.com/cricket/Features/2005/news96.asp
Moody, who had also been linked to the England and South Africa jobs in recent months, is regarded as a strong candidate.
Former Australia captain Chappell was also in the reckoning five years ago when the board chose Wright as the first foreign coach.
However, Chappell, who was in Bombay earlier this week to launch his coaching clinic, said he had not been approached by the Indian board this time.
Source : One Sports

So now who do ya think ? It's not Dav Whatmore for sure . Anyone likes to be Indian Coach ...........

Spitfire_x86
April 26, 2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
well i have learnt from previous threads that there is a relationship between marriage and performance of a cricket player. just wondering does this relationship also exits between marriage and performance of a coach. if it exists then i guess dean jones should marry right now or he might not be able to get the job.
According to this theory, Dav should divorce his current wife and marry again for getting the India job

FaltuRidwanBhai
April 26, 2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
According to this theory, Dav should divorce his current wife and marry again for getting the India job

this was a really good one brother:bravo: