PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Player in the World


chyicarus
May 1, 2005, 04:30 PM
Lets discuss who and why you think the person you chose is the most underrated player in the world.

I will vote for Jacques Kallis.

Rubayed
May 2, 2005, 12:31 AM
I dont quite understand how can u even think of Jacques Kallis as an underrated player, especially when he is considered as one of the best all rounders in world cricket along with being the best batsman for S.Africa. So your choice doesnt make sense to me unless i didnt quite understand what u meant by UNDERRATED. Anyways, in my opinion it is perhaps Damien Martyn.

chyicarus
May 2, 2005, 08:33 AM
what i meant was, he doesn't get enough press like Sachin, Lara, Dravid, Ponting, Inzamam etc etc.

bourny3
May 2, 2005, 09:14 AM
i would say Ramnaresh Sarwan

Sami
May 2, 2005, 10:00 AM
umm lets see...
** Sachin is Godlike in India...
** Lara is the most elegant player to have lived and not to mention the guy who scored 375 and went to break his own record and score a 400
** Ponting is the captain of the strongest and most successful cricket team ever to tread the international cricket scene...
** Inzamam... ummm... he is just inzamam... people just love to give him media.
** Dravid doesnt get a lot of media... not like the others you mentioned...

I wud say Kallis gets the same media coverage as Dravid does...

Bourny: I agree with you. Sarwan is seriously underrated... the dude is a joy to watch.

Beamer
May 2, 2005, 10:45 AM
Yousuf Youhana, Graham Thorpe, K Sangakkara...

Locutus
May 2, 2005, 12:07 PM
I agree with beamer on Youhana, other than that Herschelle Gibbs, Nathan Astle, Heath Streak, Jimmy Adams, Something Laxman.

Spitfire_x86
May 2, 2005, 03:51 PM
Sarwan, Kaif (he is not only underrated, but also gets much less chance to prove himself)

Yameen
May 2, 2005, 04:09 PM
Jason Gillespie, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and I totally agree with Beamer about Graeme Thorpe.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 2, 2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by chyicarus
what i meant was, he doesn't get enough press like Sachin, Lara, Dravid, Ponting, Inzamam etc etc.

that is mainly because of the media i would say. the indian media is overwhelming.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 2, 2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Sarwan, Kaif (he is not only underrated, but also gets much less chance to prove himself)

well the unfortunate thing about kaif is that his competitor is laxman. and both of them are equally good. but as they are of the same kind it is usually not possible for india to play both of them at the same time. thats why he doesnt get much chance to prove himself.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 2, 2005, 09:02 PM
about underrated player i think i would add Natni (SA) with all the names that has been added here already.

Rubayed
May 2, 2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
about underrated player i think i would add Natni (SA) with all the names that has been added here already.

NATNI?? Eita abar ke bhai? Kar natni(grand daughter)?:)

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 2, 2005, 11:55 PM
bhai bananta thik moton pari na. ki korbo. amon shob nam. Ntini mone hoi?

James90
May 3, 2005, 04:14 AM
Cameron White, Shiv Chanderpaul, Brian Lara (I'm starting to think he's the greatest batsman of his generation, even more so that Tendulkar and Waugh)

Spitfire_x86
May 3, 2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
bhai bananta thik moton pari na. ki korbo. amon shob nam. Ntini mone hoi?
About Ntini/Natni/Antenna: I don't think he's underrated. He has good pace and bounce, but not effective in all type of conditions.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 3, 2005, 12:30 PM
humm that might be the case. but he is doing great rite now against west indies. actually no one in SA team is close to donald. pollock kallis are good bowlers. but donald was another class.

al Furqaan
May 3, 2005, 02:58 PM
sarwan

Mahir
May 4, 2005, 12:19 AM
Herschelle Gibbs, by far, is the most underrated player at present. Technically almost flawless, and often produces some of the most beautiful and glorious sights in cricket. Him, along with Gary Kirsten formed one of the best opening partnerships (not only for S. Africa but in the whole world) in recent history.

Unfortunately, injury had him sidelined, and now he has lost his deserving opening position. Just too bad that Herschelle Gibbs isnt fully recognized by a lot of people.

jabbar
May 4, 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
Cameron White, Shiv Chanderpaul, Brian Lara (I'm starting to think he's the greatest batsman of his generation, even more so that Tendulkar and Waugh)

Great call on Cameron White. He is a star for Victoria in the Aussie domestic comp. He is only 21 and is captain, scored a maiden 1st-class 100, fantastic batsman and developing a very good leg break. Australian selectors have overlooked him for some other less talented players, and it's perplexing. The only explanation is politicial, as Aussie selectors have tended to overlook Victorians in recent and past times.

Mahir
May 4, 2005, 12:31 AM
to add the names of a few more underrated players in the world now : R Sarwan (as mentioned by a few of you), N Astle (another Gibbs-like case), L Klusener (dont know where he disappeared), and lastly, our own Shahriar Hossain, getting the axe by the selectors, preventing him from establishing himself as one of the finest genuine opening batsman BD has ever seen.

cricfanz
May 4, 2005, 03:04 AM
add mohammad sami. his level of success is inversely proportionate to the hype surrounding him. haha. i still think he's a great bowler, though.

wang
May 4, 2005, 03:11 AM
Michael Kasprowicz

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 4, 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by cricfanz
add mohammad sami. his level of success is inversely proportionate to the hype surrounding him. haha. i still think he's a great bowler, though.

i am with you too. unfortunately his stats just tell him. but i like his bowling.

chyicarus
May 4, 2005, 03:04 PM
How about Graeme Smith? I think he's tremendously underrated, he's is extremely matured for his age and has an average of 56+ per test innings and has a good strike rate too!
In bowling, I have to agree that Jason Gillespie is definitely one of the most underrated bowlers. He is a class act!

Akib
May 4, 2005, 03:39 PM
Gibbs, Sarwan and Kasprowicz.

Klusener was good as well. My favouritve player. Dunno where he went. Probably ran into horrible form and lost his contract.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
Lance Klusener Julu is a very interesting player to watch. very good bowler and a really entertaining tail ender slogger. i think he just retired because of bardhokko. i dont think he was in any kind of trouble.

wang
May 4, 2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by chyicarus
In bowling, I have to agree that Jason Gillespie is definitely one of the most underrated bowlers. He is a class act! Gillespie is very highly regarded within Australia.

James90
May 5, 2005, 04:16 AM
Klusener is still around but horribly out of form. He was brought back into the South African squad for a couple of tests about a year ago. He failed and since has performed badly for the dolphins in South Africa and couldn't even find himself a county contact this year

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 5, 2005, 03:04 PM
how about marvan attapattau. look at him. he and jaysuriya is holding the srilankan team. how often do we see his name in the media. i dont think that many time as many times we hear an india players name.

Banglatiger84
May 6, 2005, 05:43 AM
Dravid was underrated but is no longer so. The indian media consider him to be their main batsman.

I would say Vaas and Sangakkara are both pretty underrated

Locutus
May 6, 2005, 09:41 AM
Sami, G Smith etc they haven't been around for to long to rate them at the top or compare them with some of the players like Gibbs or N Astle. Thats why they are underrated.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 6, 2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
Dravid was underrated but is no longer so. The indian media consider him to be their main batsman.

I would say Vaas and Sangakkara are both pretty underrated

very true. indian media akhon kintu dravid ke mathay tule rakhe. oboshho kon din matha theke fele dustbin a felay dai shaita oboshho thik bolte parbo na. tobe jodi konodin kore taholeo khub akta obak hobo na. because his is indian media. everything is possible for them. they can make ganguly the god and then at the same time go and burn his house if they feel like.

James90
May 6, 2005, 04:48 PM
Chaminda has been underrated for a long long time. He's carried the Sri Lankan pace attack for many years but has been overshadowed by Muralitharan.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 6, 2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
Chaminda has been underrated for a long long time. He's carried the Sri Lankan pace attack for many years but has been overshadowed by Muralitharan.


jaihok,
apni kintu thik kothai bolechen. actually murali is such a big player that even vaas gets overshadowed. but vaas is acctually a good bowler. he is playing since the 1996 and is playing ever since.

vv_sunil
May 7, 2005, 07:18 AM
no doubt, it is Kallis

chyicarus
May 7, 2005, 11:54 AM
If we look at Kallis- his average is almost 57(in Tests), over 45 in ODIs and almost reaching 200 wickets in both forms. He's quietly moved up the PWC ratings, but there's no a lot of fanfare about him. I think this actually helps him in a lot of ways, than flamboyant players like Ponting, Sachin, Dravid, Inzi, Gilchrist etc.

cricfanz
May 7, 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Logen
Sami, G Smith etc they haven't been around for to long to rate them at the top or compare them with some of the players like Gibbs or N Astle. Thats why they are underrated.

well actually, Sami's debut was back in 2001. He got 8w in that match but still got kicked out of the team whenever the pace trio shoaib akhtar, waqar younis and wasim akram was available. Nothing wrong, but I think he could be a real force again if he was given the confidence. That's all he lacks now...

Mahir
May 7, 2005, 01:24 PM
another name that comes to mind is Nick Knight! Poor him.... never got enough chances to solidify the opening position in the English team. A very elegant player, very much underrated...

Edited on, May 8, 2005, 5:41 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 7, 2005, 09:49 PM
thats right. i almost forgot about him. he used to be a great player too.

James90
May 7, 2005, 10:25 PM
When you say Nick Knight two other names come to mind. Vince Wells and Graeme Hick.

Hick is possibly the most underrated player outside of England. 127 centuries including a 403* and 30,000 first class runs. Yet because he had a reasonably unsuccessful career for England he'll be forgotten by many.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 7, 2005, 10:56 PM
actually people usually remember their performance in the national team. because not many people actually follow or watch or even care about the first class matches.

Mahir
May 8, 2005, 12:40 AM
and that is SAD! because, i believe, its first class cricket where quality players are born and develop their game, with the exception of maybe a few genius here and there...

Edited on, May 8, 2005, 5:43 AM GMT, by MasterBlaster.

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 8, 2005, 12:46 AM
ashole bhai life a oto time koi bolen.

chyicarus
May 8, 2005, 09:04 AM
Actually, I think of it as the other way around, that is Graeme Hick is an overrated player. He has been given so many chances to prove his worth and failed miserably in all of them. I think he had better chances to play for Zimbabwe, he might still be playing Interanational cricket if he had done so!
Yes, he is good in domestic cricket, but if you can't prove your selection- then you're definitely overrated, not underrated!

FaltuRidwanBhai
May 9, 2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by chyicarus
Actually, I think of it as the other way around, that is Graeme Hick is an overrated player. He has been given so many chances to prove his worth and failed miserably in all of them. I think he had better chances to play for Zimbabwe, he might still be playing Interanational cricket if he had done so!
Yes, he is good in domestic cricket, but if you can't prove your selection- then you're definitely overrated, not underrated!

he is like our al shahriar rokon. but the good thing is atleast graem hick is not on dail.

cricketboy
May 15, 2005, 08:00 PM
Rahul Dravid is underrated than sachin, Laxman and even somettimes Ganguly. :umm:

Locutus
May 17, 2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by radicalsami
umm lets see...
** Sachin is Godlike in India...
** Lara is the most elegant player to have lived and not to mention the guy who scored 375 and went to break his own record and score a 400
** Ponting is the captain of the strongest and most successful cricket team ever to tread the international cricket scene...
** Inzamam... ummm... he is just inzamam... people just love to give him media.
** Dravid doesnt get a lot of media... not like the others you mentioned...

I wud say Kallis gets the same media coverage as Dravid does...

Bourny: I agree with you. Sarwan is seriously underrated... the dude is a joy to watch.

I know this post test dosn't go here!
You might have forgotten that Mathew Hyden from Australia have broken Lara's record of 375 in test before Lara broke Hyden's record to set a new record at 400.

Anyways I have said I will say it again Most underrated players are: Nathan Astle, H. Gibb, Heath Streak and Jimmy Adams just to name some.

Edited on, May 17, 2005, 7:07 PM GMT, by Logen.