View Single Post
Old January 8, 2010, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Agreed, this happened when he won the toss. Now according to his words.. if India won the toss and opted to bat first, he would have lost the match immediately after toss..
Oh please, give our cricketers some credit. You go out to toss the coin with a plan in mind and if the toss doesn't work out for you, surely you don't give up and start picnicking on the ground? Had India won the toss and batted, I'm sure our guys would have tried to do what it takes to win, but given that Shakib had a choice, he did what he thought was right.

Quote:
This mindset is not acceptable. He must change it if he wants to be successful. Period.
I don't think this mindset is as malicious as, say, playing for a respectable defeat or not surrounding a new batsman when the opponent is in trouble. The intention was to win and that's all that matters. Give him Mashrafe, Nazmul and an in-form Rasel and Razzak and he won't talk like this. Instead, the system has made sure that our bench is so depleted that we have to play with street cricketers and the kind of cricket that India has been playing, 350 isn't quite unexpected against our bowling. Previous captains, on the other hand, would say the same thing even when they had a strong bowling attack at their disposal.

The truth is, it will take us a while to match this Indian team's batting strength even on a semi-regular basis and if one can acknowledge that they will have to have a slightly off day for us to beat them (and of course we'll have to be at our best too - taking nothing away from our players), then I don't see why taking an alternate path to try to get there would imply a defeatist attitude.

He made the wrong decision, I'm sure he will learn from it, because he seems to be a smart player in general. Give him some time.