View Single Post
Old January 24, 2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

OK, so I've been banging my head on the wall for a couple of years now and may have developed a few cracks on my skull, so please forgive the outrage. I am not a single bit happy with what the management has done with this batting line up. In fact I will go as far as questioning their sanity.

Last night it was clear why Mushfiq and Riyad are the only Test class batsmen we have. The former was compact in his defense and was watching the ball all the way to the bat. He left the ones that needed to be left and NEVER looked like he was going to get out. He didn't do anything wrong until of course when he got out. Even when he edged one between third slip and gully, he played it with soft hands to ensure that it stayed on the ground. The ball that he got out to might have zipped on to him after it pitched, but a dismissal is a dismissal and he should have stuck around after getting a start.

The latter, on the other hand, was pretty flawless and I don't think there's much to say about Riyad's heroics. As for the rest, when even Shafiul leaves one outside leg, that you got out caught behind down the legside as an opening batsman speaks volumes about your batsmanship. Ashraful was his usual idiotic self - nothing was in place for that shot, not the situation, not his head, not his hands, not his feet, NOTHING. Shakib was fishing outside the off stump over and over and over again and living dangerously like he always does.

Now here's the thing - we have seen Mushfiq long enough to know what he's capable of. How long before we send him up the order? If batting after keeping wickets in Test matches is too hard for him (which I can imagine), then don't put him at #3 or #4, but don't make him come in at #7 either - it's just ridiculous. I was OK with Riyad batting at #8 temporarily, but now that we've had a good look at him we need to look to promote him. He has earned it and earned it quick enough.

How many times do we have to be 50/5 before we realize that we need some solid guys in the middler order? I don't buy the crap about sending these guys down the order to architect a recovery because if we send them up the order there won't be any need for a recovery every game in the first place.

God knows what kind of fertilizer the selectors are carrying in their upper temple, but who brings in a player who hasn't played FC cricket in a while to the Test squad? Shahriar Nafees would have been better off playing in the NCL and now that they have picked him and watched him play a game, they have had to drop him. Why pick him in the first place? This is the kind of mistakes our selectors have been making forever now and they never learn. They brought in Zunaed in his place - wow, how come I never thought of that? Got some grey matter in my head perhaps? Zunaed is totally out of form and again, shouldn't have been in the Test squad at all. He should have been sorting his game out in the NCL.

Finally, why bring in Naeem Islam if you're not going to play him? Again, he's missing out on an NCL game for this, where he could have scored yet another century batting - surprise surprise - in the middle order.

The management has proved over and over that it is incompetent and incapable of determining the optimal use of our players' skills; and let's not even start on what they've done with the bowling.