Thread: Brazil thread
View Single Post
Old February 2, 2010, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Alok, Ash, Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
I take it that you never watched football before 98...?
Well. Not regularly as I was too young to get football before 98

And what did Ronaldo do before 98 anyways? He emerged in 98, his careers turning point was 2002, which I watched very closely, every match. And I know how he played

Im not saying Ronaldo sucks, Im just saying that yes, he was a great player but isnt anymore, if he retired after the 2006 WC, I would have put him as a legend but you can see how much his value dropped in the recent years, and he only has himself to blame. His value dropped so much that actually no good club wants him and he has to play for Corinthians in a brazilian league, not even for teams like Santos or something.

I mean when you see that your team doesnt need you anymore because you are old, its the best to retire, there is a difference between cricket and football. You need much better fitness for football. In cricket a 37 year old can play as good as a 22 year old, or even better. But in football, thats very very rare because of the fitness difference between the players.

Ok, who do you call legends?? Maldini, Zidane, Figo, Maradona??
Maldini: 25 seasons for AC Milan. Did they ever try to sell him?? Even when he was 40, his value didnt drop, why?? Because he is an actual legend.

Zidane: After he joined Bordeaux, he never had to look back. Juventus then Real Madrid. 2 of the best clubs in the world. When he saw that his value was dropping and he knew that its time to leave with dignity. And thats exactly what he did, the perfect time to retire. If he still played, most probably his value would have been low and he wouldnt have been a legend.

Figo: Almost same thing as Zidane. Once he joined Sporting, he never looked back. Then Barcelona then to Real Madrid at the peak of his career. Then when Madrid sold him, he still had good value so Inter bought him, which is another great club. He played for Inter sometime, and when he wasnt getting regular games, he decided it was time to retire and he did and again the perfect timing.

Ronaldo: I dont know whats wrong with him. He kicked his main career off with PSV, then to Barca. Then sold to Inter and then to Real Madrid. That was the peak of his career. When he realized he wasnt getting regular games in Real Madrid, he should have retired, then people would have remembered him, its not like he was to young to retire as a football player, cause he was 31. But he kept playing and got transferred to Milan because of Capello getting pissed at his weight gain. Now you might say that he had a lot of injuries but I would say that he had injuries cause of his weight, it was just too hard for him. When he was still not recovering from his injuries properly and kept on gaining more weight and got less and less chance for Milan, he should have seriously retired then. But he still kept playing. And his popularity dropped so much at that time because people were pissed at him. I like to think of myself as a good updated soccer fan. I know pretty much all the big transfers. But he got another knee injury for the third time and was released by Milan. Now, an actual legend wont be released by his club, doesnt matter how much injuries, they will just tell him to give it up and retire. Probably Milan did too, but he didnt listen. I didnt hear about all this until Ronaldo actually played half a season with Corinthians. Thats just how he rised and fell as a star.