View Single Post
Old February 4, 2010, 01:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Since last update.

Finished reading:

- "Physics of the Impossible" by Michua Kaku

Fun read. If you like Sci-fi and enjoy theoretical physics, you will like this. While you don't need to know any physics to enjoy this book - if you don't have any general idea of quantum physics and cosmology you might brush this book as mere wild speculations and made up stories. The best part is most of them are very reasonable scenario and well within the laws of physics.

My favorite quote from the book:

"Things that are impossible today violate the known laws of physics, but the laws of physics, as we know them, can change." - Michio kaku

- "Man's search for meaning" by Victor E. Frankl

Its a short read but a "heavy" book. Heavy in the sense that it asks some really tough question about the meaning of life from the perspective of someone who survived the concentration camp. The author is also a famous psychologist and the father of Logotherapy. I don't agree with some of his views, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book. There are lot of really exciting quotes in the book. Some of my favs:

"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

Translation of Nietzsche's words (from German), 'He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how.'

"An American woman once con- fronted me with the reproach, "How can you still write some of your books in German, Adolf Hitler's language?" In response, I asked her if she had knives in her kitchen, and when she answered that she did, I acted dismayed and shocked, exclaiming, "How can you still use knives after so many killers have used them to stab and murder their victims?" She stopped objecting to my writing books in German."

The last quote reminded me of vilification of the act of speaking other language in bangladesh under the argument "Freedom fighters died for our right to speak bangla, how can you speak urdu/hindi/english over bangla?"

How apt to use emotion to triumph reason.

Currently reading: "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley