View Single Post
Old March 31, 2010, 12:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
sylhetis, bricklane etc........ not much to be proud of. Food shops with bangla signs thats about it. so many bangladeshis especially sylhetis living in uk for such a long time( some even in 3rd generation) yet their achievement is minimal. apart from some restaurants they couldnt do anything else. making food, i guess thats the only thing we/bangladeshis are good at ( or is it the indulgence in food that is the cause of this backwardness?) .
that's not completely true. you are generalizing the entire bangladeshi community in brick lane/ England. It may be true that a lot of their achievement maybe is minimal, but there is still plenty to be proud of. who said they couldn't do anything else? If Miraz bhai isn't a success than who is? some one told me that there is a park in Brick lane dedicated to some Bangladeshi guy, because they had some kind of a riot a while back, and the guy died, and they named the park after him (someone please correct me if i'm wrong). if this is true than that's something to be proud of too. success depends on how you measure it, the people that own restaurants, if they are earning 30-40 thousand dollars a year. and if someone is earning 20 thousand dollar a year even with a bachelor's degree. who would you say is more successful?