View Single Post
Old April 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
Well it doesn't exactly take an engineer to figure out that I was joking. Or does it o_O? (Kidding!) Nay, it was more than a joke. I got all Brick Lane with the village thing, but who doesn't know of some Bangy guy who's gone to study overseas, sees all the wild Western girls, wants some of the action (without the STIs and the shame) so he grabs a sometimes very young girl from the city who hasn't even finished high school and whisks her away to his land of promise as soon as he can/she finishes high school? These poor girls have a semblance of a choice I guess, which makes them more fortunate(?) than their rural sisters. They're so young, and they agree to the marriage without really knowing the guy. It makes me sad.
Actually, I don't know any Bengali lad who did that -- went abroad, and then came back to whisk off and marry some village girl just out of high school. That's not to say that it doesn't happen -- there have been news stories about this in the British press. But at least in the States, and among my peers or Bangladeshis that I know, I haven't seen this. It makes me wonder if this phenomenon is really as common as some people suggest, something more urban legendish (as in knowing someone who claims to know someone who did that), or (sadly) a reflection of the social strata or circles that we tend to stay/be comfortable in.