View Single Post
Old June 10, 2010, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara
Default Boycott On Bangladesh Cricket

My request to people, please read the whole thing before starting to throw eggs.

http://www.cricinfo.com/talk/content...ia/462496.html
Quote:
AR: We now move on to the question that you have picked as the most topical for this fortnight. It's from Jyoti from India. You were in the news following Tamim Iqbal's century in the first Test against England and Jyoti asks whether the performance of Bangladesh this Test series against England done anything to alter your view of them playing Test cricket?

GB: Quite honestly, I haven't changed my views. They are not ready for Test cricket. Tamim is an extraordinary talent as an opening batsman. He has quick eyes, he sees the length of the ball very quickly, almost like a Brian Lara or Viv Richards. He is instinctive and has got hand-eye co-ordination, quick bat-speed and wonderful timing. He is a delight to watch. But after him they have a couple of others who can bat a bit but are nothing special. If the conditions are in their favour, with a lovely pitch and the ball not doing too much, they are okay. Junaid Siddique, Imrul Kayes are okay as well, but if the ball moves around, they struggle.

On the bowling side you need bowlers to get you 20 wickets. If you haven't got any bowlers who can get you 20 wickets you will never win a match. And this is the problem. I think they have 57 losses in 66 matches (59 losses in 68 games), three wins: one against Zimbabwe, who are not very good, and two against West Indies when all their top players were on strike and not playing. And then you have a 23-year-old as captain. I am not blaming him but at that age it is very difficult to have the maturity and experience; and he has the most difficult job because bowling-wise he has very little to work with.

Imrul Kayes was never comfortable against Steven Finn's short balls, England v Bangladesh, 2nd npower Test, Old Trafford, June 6, 2010
"If the ball moves around, Bangladesh struggle" © Getty Images

I think they need to have a huge bowling programme to unearth youngsters, particularly quicker bowlers with potential.
They need to get some bowling guys like Dennis Lillee; get some great bowlers as consultants to work with the young kids and improve them.

They also need to alter their pitches. They have to think of getting some quicker, bouncier pitches, which would encourage fast bowlers. Who would want to bowl fast in Bangladesh? You have got to be wrong in your head. They have just batting pitches or slow turners. Once you leave Bangladesh, you need seamers. The ICC have got a lot of money, and if they really want to help Bangladesh, who have lovely people who are nuts on cricket, they should spend that money to send the full national side on tour to play in New Zealand against their provinces, play a couple of months or more against the English counties to get used to English conditions. You need the experience in these different conditions. They then need to go to Australia and play at Perth and Brisbane, where it is bouncy; it demands a different type of technique.

It is only through the experience of playing in different conditions will the batsmen and the bowlers get better. They have to find some seamers. Cricket is not just about batting. It is about everything. If you cannot get 20 wickets, I don't care how much we love Bangladesh and its gorgeous people, they are not going to do well and are going to keep on losing. If you keep on losing because you are not good enough, you get demoralised. You set negative fields and have a negative attitude. You need to have a positive attitude as an individual and as a team where there is an opportunity to win sometimes. They have to get used to playing in different conditions and have to do something about their pitches to help them produce seamers.