View Single Post
Old August 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
2-tier is the answer, come vote in my poll at International section.
1) 2-tier per se is not the answer

and

2) a veritable 2-tier system has been in place for the past 4-5 years

i firmly believe that more countries need to be playing more tests. if this means "cheapening" test cricket, so be it. cricket has to realize that its not football and that there aren't 10-20 teams who can all aspire to be world champions, or say that they were one time champs.

furthermore, the idea of weak teams cheapening the competition is not talked about in other sports, why should cricket be any different?

i think Ireland and Afghanistan should be fast-tracked to Test status no later than 5 years or so from now. ideally, the Irish are ready now - if they get Morgan and others back, and the Afghans are not far behind.

as for the "cheapening effect" of adding two more rank minnows along with Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, West Indies, New Zealand, and possibly Pakistan and Sri Lanka (in away matches)...one of two things needs to happen.

firstly, we can keep the system of bilateral tours, and just let nature do its thing. India, Australia, England, and South Africa will play each other 30 times each decade, and play the handful of matches with the lower ranked 8 sides. this isn't a terrible idea, although the question of dead pitches and dwindling interest will still remain.

secondly, we can forget about the bilateral tours and start a league system, many versions of which have been floated by cricket fans over the past few years.

either way, i care only about whats good for Bangladeshi cricket, and by extension that means cricket as a whole, so long as Bangladesh gets to benefit as well.

I see nothing wrong with playing a couple of series agains the top sides, and spending most of the rest of the time playing the other weaklings of test cricket. as long as we continue improving, we'll be fine. already the recognition of BD moving up is taking place ("pakistan collapse like bangladesh of old").

#OneTeam1Dream