View Single Post
Old October 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
For the 10th time can someone please tell me what's wrong with Shafi and Rubel?
Bolding mine:

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=157451

Tigers in pace puzzle

NO MORE FREAKISH INJURIES: Bangladesh bowling coach Ian Pont (C) has a tough task ahead to find injury replacements before the second one-dayer on Friday. Here the Englishman comes out with his two yet-to-be-fit pacers Shafiul Islam (R) and Rubel Hossain after having an indoor practice session at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur yesterday. PHOTO: ANISUR RAHMAN
Sports Reporter

The characteristic buzz, which follows every Bangladesh one-day victory, was omnipresent yesterday. The Bangladesh players who turned up for the optional practice and the coaching staff were all beaming as they worked at the indoor facilities at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur.

The players were also excited about a dinner party that their captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza would host at the Westin later in the evening.

But gray clouds hover over the Bangladesh think-tank ahead of the second match against New Zealand.

The one-dayer on Friday will definitely see a fresh new-ball attack, as both Mashrafe and Nazmul Hossain will certainly miss the game.

While Nazmul will be out for at least ten days with a finger injury, it seems certain that the Narail Express will be missing for at least six weeks. According to sources, the swelling is still present and it is a problem with his right ankle ligament, though the injury didn't affect his bone.

Mashrafe confirmed that he had tried to avoid a no-ball and it was too slippery around the popping crease area.

But he was not too worried about his absence in the team. "I can't say now [how long it will take to heal], but I can tell you tomorrow [Thursday]. I don't think there would be problems without me because our spin attack is vital," he said.

"I was really looking forward to the series but its unfortunate," he added.

Tigers' bowling coach Ian Pont said that it looked like a "freak accident" and that is extremely rare for two bowlers to get injured in the same match.

"It looked like he slipped. Watching it on the TV, he looked like he lost his footing," said Pont.

"There is nothing wrong with his bowling action or fitness, but it was just a freak accident," he added.

Rubel Hossain and Shafiul Islam are the other pacemen in Bangladesh's 14-man squad and the national selectors added Dollar Mahmud and Syed Rasel as cover for the two injured bowlers. The two were playing for Khulna in a National Cricket League match against Dhaka at Rajshahi but were released by their division to join the Tigers.

Both Rubel and Shafiul were injured earlier this week, forcing the selectors to bring in Nazmul who himself got hurt off the last ball of the game on Tuesday. Both however looked at ease while bowling in the nets yesterday, Pont said that a decision on the new-ball attack will only be made on Friday morning.

"We have got two guys who've joined us today. We are having a look at the four pace bowlers. Obviously we won't be picking a team until the day of the match.

"We are doing a final assessment on Shafiul today. We'll see what happens after today's net session," he said.

Pont though remained confident of the outcome from Friday's game.
"We are 1-0 up in the series, it is a little bit unexpected. We can't wait for Friday. I feel that whichever eleven Tigers put on the field, it's going to be good," he added.

Pont was also quite happy to have been part of the winning team on his first game as Tigers' bowling coach. "It is fantastic. Cricket doesn't get better than beating sides who are ranked above you. Let's be honest, Bangladesh have a few teams above them to win against. But I'm happy," he said.