View Single Post
Old December 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

Default Story of a First Division League legend

Always on the up

Mohammad Isam

Nine years and nine cricket teams promoted to Dhaka's Premier Cricket League.

A talismanic streak of the like is unheard of, especially in a country where success has often eluded even very talented cricketers.

Salahuddin Ahmed, however, holds this unique record and he confirmed a ninth year extension to his already successful run when on Saturday, Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club earned promotion from the First Division Cricket League.

A right-handed top-order batsman who doubles up as a medium-pacer, and moonlights as a scout, Salahuddin led the Dhanmondi outfit to the top flight through a well-tested formula that begins with marking out players well ahead of the pre-season.

“I generally look for young players who have done well the previous season. Of course numbers are not the sole indicator. I always go for players who are modest and are responsive to my way of leadership,” said Salahuddin, who hails from Khulna.

“This year, our openers Abdul Majid and Mehdi Hasan, left-arm spinner Taijul Islam, all-rounder Al-Imran and Nahid all did very well.

“Of course there was team spirit but I also look into their behaviour, make sure they are not complacent after a few good scores. I also keep a keen eye on their body language,” he opined.

Majid, in only his second season as a First Division player, is already on 690 runs and the captain expects the right-handed batsman to step into the next level.

Before this season, 32-year-old Salahuddin played a major role in the promotion of Partex and Kalabagan Krira Chakra twice and once for four other teams.

Prime Doleshwar, Surjo Tarun, Gazi Tank and City Club have all had successful campaigns through Salahuddin's batting (in the early days) and leadership. The latter quality has played a major role in the last three seasons and evidently, the team has often remained calm under pressure.

“He has the quality to pick the right players. He always gets the right combination,” said Tayeb Afzal, former cricket secretary of Surjo Tarun, who earned promotion in the 2006-07 season.

“He is a professional and always gives 100 per cent in the field. He also has a great attitude,” he added.

Salahuddin also banks upon his Level One coaching degree when dealing with players. “I have learned that if a captain shouts down a player, it hampers his concentration. We play through muscle memory and it is perfected by a lot of practice so when that process gets hampered, we perform badly.

“I spend a lot of time observing players in the nets and I often tell them to strengthen their basics,” he said.

Bangladesh Cricket B0ard (BCB) also has a role to play, Salahuddin thinks, to encourage First Division cricketers. “The cricket board can arrange short camps for these players, just to encourage them. They will always come back stronger in the next season if they are recognised by the proper authorities,” he said.

He will lead out Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club for their last two games (against Partex and Baridhara Dazzlers) without knowing where he will play next season. “I haven't talked to any club yet,” he added.

Given his track record, any ambitious First Division team would like to be the tenth team to get promoted with him in the side.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=167604