View Single Post
Old January 20, 2011, 07:57 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Lets start with the selector. (I hope you don't mind me adding this.)

I give them 6/10- In danger of failing. It would've be 5, but thinking somewhat professionally and not including Mashrafe bin Mortaza was a bold and a correct move, so it's a 6. It could've been 7, but inclusion of Mohammed Ashraful made me deduct 1 point. He is a delima

Including Shahriar Nafees was a good call. I think he deserves a chance. The guy is trying to start fresh, and everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Another questionable pick was SD Shuvo. Looking at Shuvo's performance, how he bats and bowls, I don't think I'd have picked him. Picking players based on stats and figure is to me an incorrect move. He can't bat, he bowls half pitch-pie. Only reason he did well vs NZ was because NZ suck against spin. That performance alone shouldn't give him a spot. Although he is a decent fielder.

Not including Sahbir Rahman was also a smart move. Many BCers were dying to see him in ODI shirt, based on 3 6s that he hit vs some team I can't even remember in some tournament, that I never even heard of until then. Good to see them come out of typical bangla-selecting: "include 5 kids aged between 16-19". I can assure you, if Rahman is handled properly, but next WC, he will be a class act. Lets not ruin him like we ruin many talented U-19 kids.

I am not happy with what they've been doing to Jahurul Islam, which is a bit more personal. With couple of limited chances he showed glimpse of what he is capable of. But he was never able to settle down in the team. He was benched the whole series, and then he was dropped from the next, even though he had a decent series in Eng with w/e chances he was given. He can easily come as a backup keeper, a backup opener, or a middle order bat. Touch wood, if something happens to Rahim, who will be keeping? Siddique?