View Single Post
Old March 14, 2011, 01:40 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaig1
Anyways, let us not make this too much of a big deal. I just felt that this was something that should have been discussed here and I am satisfied with divided opinion.

Subcontinent people are never a good sledgers and I do not see them becoming good sledgers in near future. English is not their primary language and most of the times when they try to sledge they sound rude and offensive. They in turn try to be aggressive by action (example being Harbhajan and Mushfiq today) and this results in more offensive and useless behavior and embarrassment to the team.
Sledging is an art, not well understood by the subcontinental teams. We would never perfect even the Shakespearean insults like, "Thou art as loathsome as a toad," or "Your brain is as dry as the remainder biscuit after voyage," or "Thy tongue outvenoms all the worms of Nile."

BTW, sledging has been perfected in the NBA, where it is called trash-talking. The player has to walk a fine line, because too much and the referee would issue a technical. Two technicals in a game and you are out.