View Single Post
Old March 15, 2011, 01:26 PM
Banned

Default Strauss, Swann doubtful for WI game

Strauss, Swann doubtful for WI game

Afp, Chennai

England captain Andrew Strauss and off-spinner Graeme Swann are doubtful for the key World Cup clash against the West Indies after missing training on Tuesday with stomach problems.

Meanwhile struggling fast bowler James Anderson was seen receiving treatment for a problem with his right shoulder during training but a team spokesman said he remained available for selection.

"They're two key players and would be in anybody's team," England batsman Jonathan Trott said of Strauss and Swann.

"I'm pretty confident they will be all right. These things are normally 24 or 48 hours. I'll give you a better idea Wednesday if they train.

"It's one of those things. You go from sweating on the field into cold air conditioning and stuff like that. I'm not 100 per cent today but I should be tomorrow."

England must beat the West Indies at Chennai's Chidambaram Stadium on Thursday to have a chance of qualifying for the quarterfinals -- and even then they will need other results to go their way.

Defeat would see England, already beaten by Ireland and Bangladesh, crash out of the World Cup before the knockout phase.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=177855