View Single Post
Old June 29, 2011, 07:26 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindu
Yeah have to agree with you Ian. But do you think India would have achieved under Kirsten if the captain would have been say anyone other than Dhoni or if he did not have the embarassment of riches both in terms of quality and experience. There is no denying his quality just that I think the perfomers make the coach look good or bad which is rather unfair.

Consider this, you are framing the strategy for bowling to Sehwag. Now there is no roket science to it and you state the obvious to the bowlers of where to bowl. Now you are really relying on that individual's skill and temparament to execute the plans, right. Same for the batsman, you can hammer into them to build an innings, but it is the perfomer who has to sort himself out and coach can be a mere catalyst.

Let me present another analogy, if a teacher prepares a bunch of really ambitious and talented students for an examination and they do well, the credit goes to the teacher and if he is putting similar or greater effort for not so great students and they do not perform in exam, how much blame lies with the teacher and how much with student.

Your points are valid, just that I disagree with lot on the forum who go for coach's head for every failure. Imo, coach can be only facilitator, a consultant, a motivator. But it really is about that individual and how he fares in his battles.

On a side note, I think it is fantastic that we get your contribution on the forum. This in unprecedented anywhere else to my knowledge
Yep, the players are the main people and the coach can only prepare them as best he can, quite correct.

My point was really that a good coach can get better results when he knows what he is doing. Kirsten realised quickly that India didn't need changing just nurturing. Dhoni and Kirsten (with Tendulkar) have instilled the right atmosphere of success for the players to flourish. Greg Chappell did not do that in India. He is a great coach but tried to change India and was a failure. This is the Australian way sometimes. That is the difference I refer to.

Fans call for the head of a coach usually because the players are HEROES to them and they are unlikely to ask for Tamim, Shakib or Imrul to be dropped. So they would rather blame a coach.

A coach can only teach new skills, encourage mindsets and make the environment one of winning. The rest is up to the players.