View Single Post
Old July 23, 2011, 05:04 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

I don't think it is news to discover Rubel is "half fit" as during my entire time with Bangladesh there was always a question over whether he was carrying an injury or not, or whether he was fully prepared to play every match or not. That's because he is one of those guys who gives you that impression. Some bowlers cannot wait to get their boots on and bowl quick - others, like Rubel, are what I call 'reluctant heroes'. The thing is, on his day Rubel can be an exceptional bowler.

With regard to the 'Lawson Report' well just think that Geoff has had the luxury I never had - working for a whole month with a group of players, unbroken by a series, first class cricket matches or world cup preparation. As I identified during my 6 months there was much work to be done with the national bowlers. All we could do was tidy things up a bit and not make massive changes. It is indeed a shame that Shahadat is injured otherwise I am certain he would have impressed.

The reflection of the talent is a reflection of the coaching. With the right help and support, players can be brought through. The snapshot of ability across those attending is not a shock is it? In Australia and England there are multi-level coaching structures and professional support all the way down. It would have been a massive surprise if any visiting coach actually said that the Bangladesh set up is producing fast bowlers. So I am not quite sure what else Geoff could have said.

The secret, of course as we all know, is to give those fast bowlers access to great technical and tactical support and make the self-learners and self-sufficient. This means bringing in highly knowledgeable coaches to deliver at a variety of levels. I am unsure there are too many such fast bowling coaches who can do that.

Desire is a massive issue. The desire to want to bowl fast REGARDLESS of the pitch conditions. Learning how to hold to simply hold the ball to swing it either way (as we did with Shafiul) brings quick wins for the bowler and the team. But the underlying actions are the things that help create outstanding outcomes and it is in this area that work and investment of time and money should take place.

It is not as simple as a 'tweak here' and a 'lower or higher arm' there though. As with Haryana Cricket and myself recently, the need is for fundamental pace bowling tuition to identify and then teach potential prospects how to bowl fast and accurately. A whole hearted approach to genuine quick bowling is what is needed. Yes pitches can help, and yes wrist positions can help with swing, but to make fast bowlers for Bangladesh is something quite different. And that requires a Haryana approach.