The Ashes - 1st Test
Australia v England
England won by 9 wickets
Test no. 53 | 1897/98 season
Played at Sydney Cricket Ground
13,14,15,16,17 December 1897 (timeless match)
- Ranjitsinhji, although ill, emulated H Graham by scoring a hundred in his first Test in Australia having done so in England.
- MacLaren, deputising for AE Stoddart whose mother had died, scored a hundred in his first Test as captain.
- Darling had the distinction of being the first left-hander to score a hundred in a Test match.
- McLeod was run out by Storer when he left his crease after being bowled by a no-ball. His deafness prevented him from hearing the umpire's call.
- Kelly became the first wicket-keeper to prevent any byes in a total of over 500.