View Single Post
Old January 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Bangladesh 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
The matches you are referring to werent BPL . They were not franchise based and nothing as compared to the BPL . They werent even televised IIRC . This is a full pledged T20 Tournament with everything IPL style with crazy money involved.

You cant compare international macthes to league matches . Gate/ticket Money for international matches goes to BCB , If I am not mistaken . Whereas for the BPL , it goes to the franhise owners . A good example would be , watching England play Brazil at wembely would cost me 25 pounds, where watching Chelsea playing bottom placed Balckburn rovers would cost me 50 pounds at Stamford bridge.

Pulling crowd in Bangladesh is easy . I remember a couple of years back , there was a match between Uganda U19 Team and Nepal U19 and it was house full . It was free but that tells you how passionate people are about the game . 500 taka for two matches and some live music is not pricey IMHO.
I definitely hope so. But I think the reality is different for BD. Here Bangladesh Vs. Australia will definitely pull much bigger crowd than say Abahoni vs. Mohamedan provided that both ticket price are same. You need to build a brand like ManU or Chelsea first. And, in soccer unlike cricket teams are more popular than countries. Also, people won't care whose pocket they are filling, franchise or BCB, they will care about what they will see and how much will they spent for it.

I never missed a single series of Bangladesh for last 6 years or so. I even went to stadium to see most of the world cup matches by purchasing ticket from black market by paying several times, but I don't think, I will go to stadium to watch couple of matches of BPL because of this pricing. May be one or two among forties. I truly hope that most of the people will not hold the same perception that I am holding.