View Single Post
Old February 8, 2012, 03:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock
To tell you the truth, bangladesh youth should be banned from politics. Young age is for building oneself. They should finish their study and only then they should join political parties. They can have club of political party in colleges or universities but none of them should be controlled by any political party but the educational institutions. In my opinion Bangladesh Gov. should make a rule that when a male or female comes to age of 25, only then they can join political party, because then they will complete their study, they will be mature, they will have career and most of all they will be knowledgeable, by being in an educational institution or not. That's my opinion.
There is already a rule that you can't become an MP before you're 25. At home, we have a BD Parliament Directory which, among other things, indicates the education status of our MPs. Unsurprisingly, most of them are just SSC or HSC pash with quite a few who have not even gone that far. However, there was a discussion recently about whether all future MPs and Ministers have to have certain academic qualifications i.e. a Bachelor's degree/ a Master's degree. (I'm not sure if an agreement has been reached on this issue yet)

Regarding Andaleev Rahman: I want to wait and see what he does when he has more political power. It's easy enough to say sweet nothings in Parliament. In the end, he is a member of a political family and merely took over his father's constituency. If he ever becomes a Cabinet Minister - then we'll know his true face.

On a related note, sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a House of Lords/Raj Sabha type of system in Bangladesh where all the members of these political families could be placed with little/no actual power but with grand titles. It'll give them the feeling of self-worth and (ephemeral) power that they so desperately crave while representatives of the ordinary people could be elected to the Commons/Lok Sabha-equivalent and wield actual power.

P.S. Andaleev's hardly an intellectual heavy-weight. (It's sad to see that even after 40 years have elapsed, Dr. Kamal Hossain is still the most internationally celebrated Bangladeshi lawyer/jurist/legal academic)