View Single Post
Old April 15, 2012, 07:36 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Trevor Bayliss:

You are possibly spoilt for choice with regard to the number of allrounders and top overseas players in the side. How do you manage a team of stars?
It has certainly got its challenges, but all international players know only four can play. We said at the outset that we will pick teams obviously on form but also on the conditions we are going to play on and the oppositions we come up against. Everyone is clear about how we select teams. And every international and India player understands he might have to miss a game or two.

Isn't that an interesting dynamic - that in the IPL, when you have big players sitting out, it creates pressure of its own, even creates doubt perhaps?

I don't think so. They are all big, mature boys. They are professionals, wanting to play every game, but they are also smart enough to understand they will be left out. And that holds true at all levels of cricket. The players who are able to get over the disappointment of not playing are the ones that do come out when they are selected again and perform. If you are constantly worrying about not being in the team, you create pressure for yourself.

For example, I have had chats with internationals like Eoin Morgan and Brendon McCullum so far, for not playing Morgs so far and dropping Baz for the third match. It is about the combination. Against Royal Challengers Bangalore we wanted to strengthen our middle order and get Shakib [Al Hasan], who could also bowl orthodox spin during the middle overs. I explained that to McCullum and he was happy about letting him know the plan.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-p...ry/561155.html