View Single Post
Old May 8, 2012, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
There are two issues here: whether a player trains as hard as he can, and whether a player has to be told to train.

I am sure the fans simply don't care as long as a player performs. After all, this is all that matters right?

If a young player sees a senior player doing very little, they might think it's OK for them to also do very little. This is a role model situation and it depends on the gullible nature of the young player to be influenced negatively. What will then happen is the coach will have to TELL that player to train and this leads to problems.

The problem for Shakib is that every coach knows of his lack of desire to train.
So Shakib has a reputation of not training. My point is, just how good could he be, how much more would he play, how much more would he be revered outside of Bangladesh, if he simply trained like an international athlete? The knock on effect to the BD team would be immense as people copied what he did and Grant's life would be far easier as trainer.

If you have to be told to practice and train then you are in the wrong mindset as a player. It doesn't make you a bad player. It simply means you will not fulfil your fullest potential. Being number one at a certain time is no excuse.
I dont understand why people are saying 'why did you open this thread'. This is exactly why i opened this thread. Ok Shakib is a great player but how good would he be if he trained to his potential?

But thats not the thing im worried about. Shakib is sending the wrong message to youngsters. Whatever you put into training will be worth it on the field.

Why isnt everyone understanding this? I love Shakib. Dont get me wrong. Sorry Ian but i am worrying.