Originally Posted by Navo
Make a team out of the best XI fielders who are still playing international matches in 2012. (There should be an appropriate combination of batsmen, bowlers and wicket-keeper just as there would be in a real team)
Where would they field? Why did you choose them? Whose team do you think would win an ODI?
My ODI Fielder's XI:
1. Martin Guptill (NZ) (In the circle)
2. Kumar Sangakarra (SL) (WK)
3. AB De Villiers (RSA) (In the circle, point)
4. Ricky Ponting (AUS) (In the circle)
5. Michael Clarke (AUS) (C) (In the circle, Slips)
6. Michael Hussey (AUS) (Outfield)
7. Shakib al Hasan (BD) (Outfield)
8. Kieron Pollard (WI) (Outfield)
9. Tim Southee (NZ) (Outfield)
10. Dale Steyn (RSA) (Outfield)
11. James Anderson (ENG) (In the circle)
12. Virat Kohli (IND) (In the circle)
13. David Warner (AUS) (Outfield)
14. Brendon McCullum (NZ) (Back up WK)
15. Tillakaratne Dilshan (SL) (In the circle)
**I was thinking of taking McCullum or Dilshan instead of Sangakarra but I don't think there is a need for two explosive batsmen at the top of the order. It also gives a Right hand-left hand combo at the top.
The selection of Shakib is indicative of a bit of personal bias but I needed a spinner and he also has a bullet arm from the deep. I would be tempted to replace Pollard with Matthews (SL) though.
Hmm don't you think Ponting and Clarke coming in at #4 & #5 is a tad lower down for those two in an ODI? Ideally should be at #3 & #4. And I'd pick Dhoni up, because I haven't seen anyone that quick with their keeping. And maybe he is out of touch with his batting, but he runs like a horse between the wickets.