View Single Post
Old May 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Why not Daley Thomson? Now that's a deca-dimensional super-athlete. Now some in your list are not super-athletes, but are geniuses in the area of their sport several layers above the rest of the top of heir field. Jordan is not only one but also an athlete. And if you move away from the Western bias, we have super-athletes like Rudy Hartono, and Jahangir Khan.
Exactly. I tried to pick people from this era who I think would be an overall great athlete. In that case Sachin Tendulkar is not an "athlete" in my book, rather a great batsman in cricket. He is not fast, he has no speed. he is short and fat. He is defo not the strongest in his league.

I judge this based on "The Great S's of Sports."

Skill
Stamina
Strength
Speed
Suppleness

From cricket, I can only name a few names who come remotely close to having all of these. Dav Warner, AB de Villiers, Paul Collingwood, are defo right up there. They might not be rated as highly in their field, but they got the 5S's. Fielding is the only place in cricket where players' non-cricketing skills, athletic abilities show up. So it's not shocking that those guys are one of the best fielders in cricket. Rhodes should be there too. Fast bowlers also demonstrate those skills. (But for some reason they aren't as good of a fielder).

Muhammad Ali - the all time greatest super athlete.

(EDIT)

Best thing to do is forget about what they are good at, get rid of their scores/pts w/e and then go form there.