Thread: Fast Bowling
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
This where I really disagree with you. To bowl quick isn't some kind of random act. I don't know ANY genuinely fast bowlers who are not quality.

Let's keep it simple and take the fastest balls of all time by bowler, and you tell me if the bowlers are not quality:

1. Shoaib Akthar 161.3
2. Brett Lee 160.8
3. Shaun Tait 160.7
4. Jeff Thomson 160.4
5. Andy Roberts 159.5
6. Fidel Edwards 157.7
7. Mohammed Sami 156.4
7. Shane Bond 156.4
9. Dale Steyn 155.7
9. Lasith Malinga 155.7

I guarantee you this: if any Bangladeshi bowler bowled at these speeds he would be quality.

Speed gives you an undeniable asset on even the flattest, friendliest bowling pitches.

Don's get sucked into the camp that says 128 kph is 'quality'. The truth is, if you bowl that slowly, you have to have amazing control, swing and movement. If the Bangladesh attack gets smoked it's usually Nazmul (or Mash) who we praise because they have been effective compared to the rest.

The 10 bowlers listed above prove your theory quite wrong and in fact you can associate high speed with quality of bowler. It's not a dichotomy to be be a genuine speed bowler and quality as the two are often associated. It's simply that so few coaches can coach speed into bowlers that we don't focus on it.
Yes but one important thing to note. When we discuss about speed, the speed range is also important. I agree that high speed brings quality inevitably given one can atleast pitch the ball in line but for this equation of speed and quality, bowler needs to hit 150 mark regularly. There are many bowlers in the range of 135-145 who are pretty average. So if a bowler hits 150 and pitch the ball in line, quality comes in automatically.