Thread: Fast Bowling
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
I will take a match winner over a pretty special bowler any day of the week.

I will take a philander/mcgrath over a tait/lee any day of the week.
The basic premise of this discussion was, "if the bangladesh bowlers had raw pace, would it be better".. As you appear not to have categorised Shaun Tait and Brett Lee as match winners (amazingly) would you prefer them to Nazmul, Shafiul, Mash or Rubel?

I would love to have Tait and Lee in their prime over almost every other bowler playing International cricket bowling in Dhaka. And to have two Bangladeshis this pace would be unbelievable.

Philander (perhaps in time) and McGrath (historically) are massively efficient bowlers. Tait and Lee massively explosive and quick. On Dhaka pitches it is the pace through the air that unsettles batsmen, not movement off a flat pitch. After a while, the spinners replace the medium pacers as we all know, because they are not that effective on Dhaka and Chittagong pitches unless they swing it. Philander and McGrath are not massive swing bowlers. Steyn and Anderson yes, but not those two.

The argument of pace in Bangladesh is a moot one anyway as there is not a desire to bowl quick. But extreme pace would definitely make a massive difference in Bangladesh - just ask any of the batsmen.

If you rely on movement off the pitch you need a bit of grass which isn't there in Dhaka. If you rely on speed, you just need the ball. the pitch doesn't matter if you got gas. Mohammed Sami showed this at the BPL.