Thread: Fast Bowling
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2012, 08:56 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I think part of the issue is that domestic coaches encourage their proteges to become SLAs or batsmen because they think that will increase the players chances of getting higher cricketing honors. A recent article posted on BC spoke about this. Besides Pacer Hunts, maybe the BCB should invest in special incentives for fast bowlers so that more kids dream of becoming a fast bowler?

Also, Ian, does Rubel have the ability to be a 150+ kmph bowler? (Assuming he recovers fully from his shoulder operation) Does he have the desire? Because otherwise he seems to be in good shape?
It is fine to have a pacer hunt and ID potential, but what do you do to develop that into a world class fast bowler? Unless you are going to be coaching speed into bowlers how are they going to get their pace up to 150 kph? Supreme understanding of biomechanics and how that works for each bowler you coach has to be there, otherwise the bowlers will not develop fully. This is partly why coaches encourage batting and slow bowling, and fast bowling coaches teach run up and how to hold a cricket ball, mindset and strength training because you don't need to understand biomechanics to do that.

A pacer hunt and spending time coaching potential quicks only works if what you coach them actually increases their pace. Otherwise you are simply relying on what they came with.

Rubel bowled a ball at 149 kph in the WC in 2011 against West Indies. He is a reluctant fast bowler though. Often his speed will be around 135 kph so I feel he does the minimum required in his training and whilst he does what he is told to do, the point about desire is that it comes from inside you. My personal view is Rubel, if he chose to be, could be a seriously quick fast bowler. It might just all be a bit too hard work for him. He's a great lad and always happy and smiling. But underachieves when he has more to offer. I am hoping his injury gives him the chance to build up and come back stronger, keener and with a huge passion for pace.