View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012, 04:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Sohel NR bhai, you are miss quoting Quran here, just take the first verse. Nobody has said bad about Hindus or any other religion's god, it was about the Muslim praying in Islamic style in an inauguration of a ltemple... So it's talking about Muslims only ... I'm not aware if they have changed their religion ... In that case they should have done it the Hindu way and none would say anything. I/we Bangladeshis respect every religion. I would have preferred them to do it the Hindu way...it was funny.
Dear BANFAN,

First of all, there is no Miss Quotation, Mrs. Quotation or misquotation of the Quran in my post.

Furthermore, the accurately translated verses from the Quran have been posted without my personal interpretation of what they mean for a couple of reasons:

1) Because of the nature of the translation in easy to understand, relatively contemporary English extrapolated within the semiological as well as linguistic and exegetical norms of Quranic Arabic, I didn't feel any interpretation is necessary once anyone applies his or her intellect in good faith to understand what is being said.

2) I am not a qualified scholar with credentials to do Tafsir from any of the 5 recognized Madhabs (regardless of doctrinal, methodological and other differences) -- or in rare cases a similarly qualified scholar from outside those Madhabs -- who can do a fair interpretation of the Quran without committing serious error. I personally find it to the height of arrogance bordering on shirk when ego-maniacal zealots without such extensive knowledge of the semiotic, linguistic and exegetical context through an unbroken chain of scholars over 14 centuries of erudition and scholarship, simply choose to bypass the wealth of knowledge and clarity their scholarship has to offer, and argue the validity of their interpretation just for the sake of arguing and pushing forth a coercive and compulsive agenda, often of a totalitarian and political nature.

However, based on my limited knowledge I do have a layman's opinion on those verses , humble and by no means infallible, and I will share them with you as briefly as I can in this thread. May GOD forgive me for my inadvertent error and insolence

Quote:
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Quran 6:108)
This simply tells you to withhold your temper and not offend people -- including people who believe themselves Muslims whom you may deem not practicing "true" Islam and are in fact engaged in some form of "idol worship" -- who worship a deity different from your own consciousness and cognition because you fear that by doing so, they are blaspheming and cursing GOD, thereby harming themselves by incurring the GOD's wrath. GOD created every group and send His divine message understandable from their own perspective to everyone within that group, and everyone will return to Him for detailed assessment and judgement.

Quote:
"O you who believe, no people shall ridicule other people, for they may be better than they. Nor shall any women ridicule other women, for they may be better than they. Nor shall you mock one another, or call each other names. Evil indeed is the reversion to wickedness after attaining faith. Anyone who does not repent after this, these are the transgressors." (Quran 49:11)
This is about Taqwa or absolute deference to GOD and as the direct expression of that deference, the absolute necessity to restrain the ego and refrain from the ego-driven urge to ridicule people who are different from you, and feeling superior in the process. In fact, such behavior, quite common amongst the type of sectarian and fearmongering zealots who made the picture in question, is condemned as "reversion to wickedness" by those who claim to have "attained faith".

Quote:
"O you who believe, if a wicked person brings any news to you, you shall first investigate, lest you commit injustice towards some people, out of ignorance, then become sorry and remorseful for what you have done." (Quran 49:6)
Again self explanatory to anyone who bothers to apply his/her intellect in good faith when reading the verse. Some of the expressions of the "wickedness" GOD is talking about here I've already explained above. GOD wants you to investigate the negative, provocative and politically motivated "news" you're looking at -- news that creates instant division, discord and indignant judgement from and upon "other" people -- and not be easily coerced by it because you opt for a knee-jerk reaction instead. That being said, once your investigation proves your own hateful sentiments unjust, you should be remorseful to GOD and to those people whose feelings you have hurt because of your arrogant and indignant reaction and ignorance.

Quote:
"O you who believe, you shall avoid any suspicion, for even a little bit of suspicion is sinful. You shall not spy on one another, nor shall you backbite one another; this is as abominable as eating the flesh of your dead brother. You certainly abhor this. You shall observe GOD. GOD is Redeemer, Most Merciful." (Quran 49:12)
Self explanatory. We don't know the whole story from all of the unique perspectives. We don't know the context, and we surely don't know what's in the hearts of people. Under these circumstances, GOD is suggesting that we refrain from being suspicious -- suspicion as well backbiting are being described as serious and abominable sins -- and focus on the positive instead, perhaps by giving each other the benefit of doubt.

Quote:
"O people, we created you from the same male and female, and rendered you distinct peoples and tribes, that you may recognize one another. The best among you in the sight of GOD is the most righteous. GOD is Omniscient, Cognizant." (Quran 49:13)
GOD is Omniscient and Omnipotent and has deliberately created every diversity within humankind. Our job is to "get to know one another", meaning try to discover the humanity we have in common, discover that common bond that can bring us together as GOD's creation. GOD also wants us to be righteous regardless of group or archetype -- obviously this means that the righteous exist in every group or archetype -- and they are the best in the sight of GOD, again regardless of group or archetype, recognized or unrecognized.

Anyway, I posted those verses because I found them highly relevant, and always do when it comes to Salafi-type hatemongering under the guise of "religious purity". GOD doesn't need deputies from amongst us. Especially the angry, indignant, totalitarian and supremacist kind who see themselves as His de facto partners and political minions.

There is NO compulsion in religion and one should willfully submit to GOD simply because it is pleasing to Him. Not for rewards or because the submitter fears punishment. Our GOD is the Most Gracious and the Dispenser of Grace, and He prohibits oppression from Himself and from us as His creation. He is the Divine First Cause independent of all things, but all things created by Him are dependent on Him. We need Him. He does not need us, and it is abominable to think that He does, and that we may or can sit in judgement as His self appointed attorneys.

My brotherly suggestion to you is to do justice to your good intent and show a little deference to GOD in the process. And please don't assume too much and put words in my mouth. I won't go into "styles of prayer" and other faiths, never did to begin with in my post, because my Taqwa as well as my limited intellect prevent even qualifying such sentiments.

Peace and GOD bless~
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 4, 2012 at 09:01 PM..