View Single Post
  #68  
Old October 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
PoorFan PoorFan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 15, 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 14,333

Quote:
18 October 2012 Last updated at 15:16 GMT



Suspect's father says New York bomb plot charge 'false'

Quazi Nafis' father believes his son is innocent
Continue reading the main story Related Stories
The father of a Bangladeshi man accused of plotting an attack at the New York Federal Reserve has told the BBC the allegations are "totally false".

Speaking from his home in Bangladesh, Quazi Mohammad Ahsanullah said his son was "totally innocent".

Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, was arrested after he allegedly attempted to detonate what he thought was a 1,000lb (454kg) bomb.

There was no public threat, officials said, as he had been closely watched.
Mr Nafis arrived in the US on a student visa in January, purporting to be studying in Missouri, authorities said.

'Victimised'

He was charged on Wednesday with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and plotting to provide material support to al-Qaeda.
Continue reading the main story
Quote:
I am now requesting the Bangladeshi government to bring my innocent son back to the countryā€¯
Speaking to the BBC's Anbarasan Ethirajan in Bangladeshi capital Dhaka, the suspect's father said he had been told about his son's arrest earlier on Thursday.

"He is completely innocent. He went to the United States only to study. Not to do any kind of activity. He is my only son," Mr Ahsanullah said, adding that Mr Nafis was very shy.

Breaking down repeatedly as he spoke to our correspondent, Mr Ahsanullah said his son had spoken to his mother almost every day over Skype.

"I am 100% sure that he had no contact with anybody. He has been victimised.

"I haven't had any contact with my son since yesterday. I am trying to contact. I don't know how to do it. I am now requesting the Bangladeshi government to bring my innocent son back to the country."
More in BBC
Reply With Quote