View Single Post
Old October 19, 2012, 02:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
Yes I guess specially after the Argus review. Ricky Ponting has always been vocal about communication between the players and selectors and finally the captain has been made a member of the selection panel. The appointment of Inverarity has also brought new dynamics as it seems.
yes communication is very prominent in aussie cricket, young prospects as well and those in the team and those on the fringes (whether they've been in the team before or not) have generally had strong communications with selectors and management and senior players. it's a great way to keep a player in the loop, keep them motivated, let them know where they need to improve and talk to them both as friends and professionals. that type of relationship is strong in australian cricket and imo it's a huge benefit to players trying to improve. basically every player is supported, and the players not quite in the mind of the national selectors, well the same sort of relationships occur between players and state selectors/boards.

as far as the captain being part of the selection panel, i see why they are doing it but i think it can potentially create a heap of issues. think about it a lot of players are friends and the captain selecting someone else over a friend puts pressure on that relationship, in turn a captain selecting a friend when he shouldn't be also creates some problems. imagine if shane watson was captain and a selector atm, he came out and said he backs haddin to keep for the tests coming up, wade has been the aussie keeper for the last few months, even with watson not being the captain/selector it could create tension between himself, wade and friends of theirs/the other players.